What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's always been my feeling that Robert Aldrich generally made films for guys. From noir to westerns, and adventure - short of The Killing of Sister George, which fits into an entirely different category.

His 1974 The Longest Yard is one of those "guy" films. With reality thrown to the wind, it's a convict vs guard comedy / drama / underdog sports tale that ultimately may be a crowd-pleaser, but isn't a very good film.

In her review for the New York Times, Nora Sayre noted: "Burt Reynolds, as an imprisoned former football star who coaches the convicts' team, contends with Warden Eddie Albert, who's determined that the guards must win and that the prisoners must be humiliated. I suspect that Mr. Reynolds may have watched "On the Waterfront" at least a dozen times just before this movie was shot, since he apes Marlon Brando's performance all through "The Yard." Pursing or smacking his lips, chewing gum or smirking or wrinkling his nose, he surpasses flattery with his lumbering imitation."

For those seeking a fun, rather stupid time, with no need to ever think, you'll find no better version of the film that Kino's new 4k.

With what appears to be perfect grain, great color and a generally bright, shiny appearance, on couldn't ask for more.

I'll leave it to you to determine how well it stands the test of time.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS HD-MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Worth your attention - 5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert

Wondering this myself, as I haven't seen it in at least 30 years and as per a previous comment, the two times I did see it with a packed audience made all of the difference in the world.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's always been my feeling that Robert Aldrich generally made films for guys. From noir to westerns, and adventure - short of The Killing of Sister George, which fits into an entirely different category.

His 1974 The Longest Yard is one of those "guy" films. With reality thrown to the wind, it's a convict vs guard comedy / drama / underdog sports tale that ultimately may be a crowd-pleaser, but isn't a very good film.

In her review for the New York Times, Nora Sayre noted: "Burt Reynolds, as an imprisoned former football star who coaches the convicts' team, contends with Warden Eddie Albert, who's determined that the guards must win and that the prisoners must be humiliated. I suspect that Mr. Reynolds may have watched "On the Waterfront" at least a dozen times just before this movie was shot, since he apes Marlon Brando's performance all through "The Yard." Pursing or smacking his lips, chewing gum or smirking or wrinkling his nose, he surpasses flattery with his lumbering imitation."

For those seeking a fun, rather stupid time, with no need to ever think, you'll find no better version of the film that Kino's new 4k.

With what appears to be perfect grain, great color and a generally bright, shiny appearance, on couldn't ask for more.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS HD-MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Worth your attention - 5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Recommended

RAH
RAH,

Yesterday, I just had a conversation about Robert Aldrich with my best friend. He agrees with me that Aldrich was a fantastic director that was really underrated during his career. I can't tell you how many of his films are among my personal favorite movies. This Rhode Islander came from money with Nelson Rockefeller being his first cousin, so you can imagine that some of his wealthy relatives didn't appreciate his career choice. Luckily for us, he chose the right vocation.

I should have my 4K disc in the next day or so. I can't wait to watch it and thank you for your review.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I also am anxious to see this again (getting it through Amazon). Great so see a 5 star rating for video. Thanks, Robert.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RAH,

Yesterday, I just had a conversation about Robert Aldrich with my best friend. He agrees with me that Aldrich was a fantastic director that was really underrated during his career. I can't tell you how many of his films are among my personal favorite movies. This Rhode Islander came from money with Nelson Rockefeller being his first cousin, so you can imagine that some of his wealthy relatives didn't appreciate his career choice. Luckily for us, he chose the right vocation.

I should have my 4K disc in the next day or so. I can't wait to watch it and thank you for your review.
I watched my 4K disc on Friday and I concur with RAH's opinion as it never looked better to my eyes.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I watched my 4K disc on Friday and I concur with RAH's opinion as it never looked better to my eyes.
Thanks Robert. How about the sound? I held off buying the Aussie Blu-ray as although the video was supposedly fine, there were several complaints about the audio being tinny. Trusting that’s been fixed in this release. Mr Harris’ rating on that score is comforting. Wondering if your experience was similar.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Robert. How about the sound? I held off buying the Aussie Blu-ray as although the video was supposedly fine, there were several complaints about the audio being tinny. Trusting that’s been fixed in this release. Mr Harris’ rating on that score is comforting. Wondering if your experience was similar.
I didn't notice any audio issues, but some people are more sensitive to audio tracks than I am.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
RAH,

Aldrich was a genius at making entertaining films that deliberately subverted their own entertainment value. Even the most mainstream of his movies still have layers to them that allow them to be appreciated on different levels. The Dirty Dozen is a wildly entertaining war movie, but it's also a savage indictment of wartime morality. The "heroes" are genuinely violent criminals who are "redeemed" in the eyes of the military brass by committing acts far more heinous than what they did to end up imprisoned in the first place -- genuine war crimes. Even his underrated All the Marbles acts as both an entertaining sports movie, and an indictment of violence in sports. The Longest Yard has its own set of layers, and can be enjoyed as a sports movie if you don't think about what happens too much, but if you do, it's astonishingly dark for "entertainment." The Burt Reynolds character is a domestic abuser, for God's sake, and he's supposed to be the protagonist!

Haven't gotten my disc yet, but I can't wait. For me, I find that Aldrich reviews write themselves.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Aldrich was a genius at making entertaining films that deliberately subverted their own entertainment value. Even the most mainstream of his movies still have layers to them that allow them to be appreciated on different levels. The Dirty Dozen is a wildly entertaining war movie, but it's also a savage indictment of wartime morality. The "heroes" are genuinely violent criminals who are "redeemed" in the eyes of the military brass by committing acts far more heinous than what they did to end up imprisoned in the first place -- genuine war crimes. Even his underrated All the Marbles acts as both an entertaining sports movie, and an indictment of violence in sports. The Longest Yard has its own set of layers, and can be enjoyed as a sports movie if you don't think about what happens too much, but if you do, it's astonishingly dark for "entertainment." The Burt Reynolds character is a domestic abuser, for God's sake, and he's supposed to be the protagonist!

Haven't gotten my disc yet, but I can't wait. For me, I find that Aldrich reviews write themselves.
You definitely do have a valid point about Reynolds’s character, and how he’s made to be the heroic guy against the evil warden, and the film does a good job of making people forgive/forget why he was sent to prison in the first place. Still love the film though- I put this up there with Bull Durham as my favorite sports films.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Eddie Albert is nothing like Oliver Wendell Douglas
1685205415114.png
in this one (which I think was his intention) ...

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
This poster somebody could not make THE LONGEST YARD look more macho (or gay) if it tried. "For men, for women, for..." WTF is Reynolds wearing? Looks like a test for ZARDOZ. I like the film because it's the only Aldrich comedy that actually almost works as a comedy. As a kid, the tone shifts fascinated and disturbed me.

Attachments

• 2020_08a_0924.jpg
    2020_08a_0924.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 109

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
This poster somebody could not make THE LONGEST YARD look more macho (or gay) if it tried. "For men, for women, for..." WTF is Reynolds wearing? Looks like a test for ZARDOZ. I like the film because it's the only Aldrich comedy that actually almost works as a comedy. As a kid, the tone shifts fascinated and disturbed me.
I found his Cosmopolitan centerfold when I was cleaning out my mother's house a few years ago. She kept it for 40 years!

mskaye

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Kochman

Well said. Yes, Burt's treatment of his lady in the opening scene is a little tough to watch - like similar moments in some Peckinpah films - but ultimately he is punished for it. But like The Dirty Dozen, it flips the good guys vs. bad guys expectations and is all about rebelling against "the men in power" who will do anything within their power to remain in power. So, it ultimately it shares so many of the themes of the great American films that defined the 1970s. PS- the 4k looks really great! love the split screen effects in the end sequence. So iconic !

Last edited:

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I think Aldrich would get a kick out of my elementary schoolyard quoting lines from the film after a weekend tv showing (one of our best 70s/80s era stations showed a lot of films uncut).

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
The Sandler film isn't the only re-make. In 2001, Vinnie Jones starred in The Mean Machine, which moved the story to Great Britain and the sport to soccer. It also appropriated the British release title of the Aldrich film. It's not as good as the first remake, but a damn sight better than the second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks