What's new

"The Clone Wars" for GameCube... let's discuss the game (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I bought it yesterday. So far, I've played it for close to 45 minutes.

Overall impressions:

Graphics: Terrible. Simply terrible. Choppy frame rates, ugly textures, nothing really interesting to look at. But the worst thing is the frame rate: it's terribly choppy. I'd say it's the worst looking game I've seen for the Cube.

Sound: A mixed bag. The voice-overs are cheesy, but Dolby Pro-Logic II sound effects are terrific. As someone mentioned it before, it is too compressed in dynamics.

Gameplay: Not bad, but not great, either. It's Battlezone II for Star Wars fans. It's very fun and entertaining - a basic shoot-em up in Star Wars locations. I especially like the controls, which are very intuitive and responsive. Unfortunately, the frame rate stutters when there is too much action going on, which detracts from the overall experience.

Multiplayer gaming: This looks like it can rock. A 4 player battle in tanks on the Star Wars world? Sounds too much like Combat on the Atari 2600 with twice the fun. I really can't wait to try this mode.

Overall, I didn't like this game, especially because I was expecting something with the quality of Rogue Leader. I would advise anyone willing to get it to at least rent it first, because although it seems to be a fun experience (I have played it for too little time), it's graphically underwhelming for such an advanced product.

I'd compare it to Wild Metal for the Dreamcast. And if you ever played that game, you know what I'm talking about.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Javier I gotta ask you buddy, are you bi-polar or something man?:b
One minute your enjoying the game. You know its fun and intuitive. Then the next its horrible and you didn't like it. Your killing me here man!:D
All joking aside though:), thanks for the impressions Javier. Didn't plan on getting this one but I think I'll give it a rental this week and check it out for myself.
Thanks again!

Vijay Kher

Auditioning
does anyone know how to enable the progressive scan on this game? they don't say in the manual. I've tried all the tricks (holding b while turning on gamecube, enabling with rogue leader and switching the disc, etc) but nothing works. on the official site it does say that progressive scan is a feature
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/st...s/faq/faq6.htm
but i can't find it anywhere in the game. i get the feeling that they just didn't put it in (and if that's true, they should take it off their site). from my experience with other gamecube games, playing in 480p improves the framerate and graphics a lot (especially with the bowser fight in mario). any ideas?
Vijay

Vijay Kher

Auditioning
a couple of days ago, i emailed lucasarts technical support inquiring about the progressive scan in clone wars and this is what i just received

"The HDTV progressive scan mode interface that you are inquiring about is a feature which is not supported by the game. Unfortunately, I was not involved in the development process of this title, therefore I cannot address any design issues.

Sorry for the inconvenience."

oh well.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
That's weird. Why does a game need to explicitly support HDTV? I'd think it would be a hardware issue, not a software one. Strange.

VinT

Agent
Hmmm... Looks like Factor 5 is the only one that can make good console SW games. Lukas Arts in-house games are always disappointing. I can't wait to see what F5 comes out with next.

BTW, I saw this game in action and I don't think progressive scan will help it much. A polished turd is still a turd.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Would've made a good purchase at 29 or less, but not at 49.99. Got it last week and beat it in 3 days in Padawan mode. Going back for more now, but isn't nearly as deep as Rogue Leader. Good storyline, but wraps up kinda quick. I'm pretty damn sure Bounty Hunter will more than make up for this one for Star Wars fans. That, and Jedi Knight 2 that are both coming in the next few weeks. At least I'll have a complete GCN Star Wars universe, and my 5 year old thinks it is awesome and is playing it daily!

Matt

PS - Tony Hawk 4 has Jango Fett as a skater and it's hilarious!

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Matt, I haven't progressed far enough in the game. Do the graphics get better than what is displayed in the first mission? What was your overall opinion on the game?

Although I do agree, Rogue Leader is a better game from what I've played.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks