What's new

The Big Sick (a brief review) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I know that in the past few years my contributions to this forum have drifted towards the more ancillary parts of it (Music, Apple, Gaming, etc.). And to be honest, most of my movie watching for the better part of the last decade happens at home, so often I don't contribute as much to the movie reviews which formed the cornerstone of what we in HTF stand for.

But last night I went out with a friend to see The Big Sick, which I can highly recommend to those seeking a romantic comedy with heart, standout performances, and plenty of genuinely laugh-out-loud moments. For those who come from non-US backgrounds (I'm a first-generation American immigrant whose family carried over a lot of the traditions and beliefs from their homeland) or who have (or grew up with) close friends who are immigrants, they'll recognize a lot of humor in the family situations that arise from when different cultural backgrounds meet and sometimes clash. It's humorous but never mean-spirited, which is a tricky line to walk.

I'm not a big rom-com guy. But I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The two leads were great in their role, as were the members of Kumail's family. Ray Romano (whom I've never been a fan of...just never got into Everybody Loves Raymond) and Holly Hunter are rock solid in their roles and balance humor and emotion deftly.

We were going to try and get into Baby Driver but the nearby showings were all packed (unsurprisingly). But this ended up being quite an excellent consolation prize.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: or Highly Recommended

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw this recently. Terrific film. Getting Oscar buzz for the Screenplay too.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I found this movie to be a real disappointment. When the Hunter and Romano characters enter, it gets much better, but the first act is a drag - I actively disliked the Emily character and thought Nanjiani seemed overwhelmed as the lead. He's a talented guy but he didn't appear ready to be the main character, and this left a void at the film's center.

The film has its moments but beyond Hunter and Romano, it doesn't really work for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks