What's new

The Battlestar Galactica appreciation thread (Spoilers!) (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

And used to describe any other TV show that has an ongoing plot like, Lost, Desperate Housewives, Buffy, Angel.
I consider it to be an ongoing plot. That doesnt make it a Soap, well, except maybe for D.H's.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
I agree -- there's a big difference between character development and soap operas. I have not seen the new BSG, but from what I've seen and heard, I really doubt that will be the case here.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
I got the DVD of the Miniseries today.

The picture quality isn't that great, it's very grainy and not too sharp - just like the UK DVD was.

I guess that this look is intended and it's not a fault of the DVD.

The documentary is the same that was on the UK DVD - about 40 minutes long, rather promotional but with good interviews with everyone. Just like on the UK DVD it is in non-anamorphic widescreen.

There are 20 minutes of Deleted Scenes - some of them are looking very rough and most of them are without any special effects - some are only simple animatics.

The audio commentary was recorded shortly after they were green-lit for the series, so there won't be any spoilers for the first season (I haven't listened to all of it yet, but Ron Moore mentions this very early on).

The commentary features Ron Moore, David Eick and Michael Rymer.

A cast commentary and some bloopers would have been nice, but a 3-hour commentary, a 40 minute documentary and 20 minutes of deleted scenes are more extras than most complete season sets of other shows get.

I know that this would have technically belonged in the TV-on-DVD forum, but I didn't want to start a second thread - anyone interested in the show is reading here anyway.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Some potential bad news - I'll put it in spoiler tags since it will concern season two:

The guy who play Chief Tyrol is a regular poster on one of the messageboards and he has said that he hasn't got a contract for season two yet. Since he couldn't sit around waiting whether there will be a second season, he's taken another job which will last until May - so if they start shooting in February he will not be able to return.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Is the miniseries on the DVD the same cut? I heard awhile back that it would be longer.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
It's the same cut.

There was some speculation because the DVD is 3 hours and 4 minutes while normally a single TV episode is around 44 minutes long so the miniseries should've been around 2 hours 56 - however Ron Moore mentions in the audio commentary that SciFi allowed them to run longer than that and showed less commercials than usual.

They mention that the Director's Cut was four hours - but they cut it to three hours before any work on the special effects were done.

That's why the Deleted Scenes look as rough as they do.

Especially the Viper scenes look funny, because you only see the actor sitting in a static Viper in front of a green-screen and it looks very silly to see them react to explosions or other ships.

One small correction - there are some tiny spoilers for the series but it's only stuff like

"We wanted to show how a Viper enters an atmosphere, but we ran out of time. Will you do that on the series?"

"Yes, in episode four."

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Another small correction: the documentary is NOT the same one that was on the UK DVD.

The one on the UK DVD was only 20 minutes long - the version on the US DVD is 40 minutes long.

They added many new interviews - the best one being an interview with the old and the new Starbuck (which is taking place inside a Starbuck's). It's really funny because Katee Sackhoff looks extremely scared and nervous while Dirk Benedict is charming and funny.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
I hope it'll satisify the people who were asking for more action on the show.

I loved how the Vipers looked dirty and damaged - it's one of the small touches that sets this show apart.

I just hope they don't make too much of this prophecy - that's a bit too DS9ish.

And I hope that they wrap up the Boomer2 + Helo storyline by the end of the season because it's an obvious dead end - it's not like they can come back and rescue him.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark

Moore seems to be borrowing from the last series he worked on, Carnivale, with its two connected but separate plots. I trust the Caprica stuff will pay off.

Carl_G

Stunt Coordinator
What I loved other than the action...
Baltar's transformation to be the 'hand of god'. Especially how he was shot in the closing scene, crucification-like pose, shooting downward from a gods-eye view. His continuing transformation will be great to watch play out!

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Excellent episode. I really like the Baltar character also. This new BSG is good Sci-Fi IMO. I am really looking forward to the last 3 episodes of the season.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Count me in as someone who loves this show, but Baltar does rub me the wrong way when Number 6 is around, his eyes bugging out of his head and him fidgeting around trying to act natural. It's a bit too over-the-top.
Anyway, are we supposed to consider both storylines to be happening concurrently? Are we only 35 days after the Cylon attack when we're on Galactica, or is it just when we see Helo?
It would be interesting if it were the case that they were happening concurrently, especially considering we're nearly done with an entire season, if it took place over a little more than a month.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Watched the miniseries last night for the first time and I was really impressed. This makes the old B.G look like Dagget poopie and I loved the original. Well acted, Great effects and some really well written characters are going to make me tune in every week.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Mikel,
I think you will really like the new BSG series. It has gotten even better since the mini series IMO. I like the characters even though they are quite different than their original series counterparts. Richard Hatch from the original series even has a good cameo role in the 3rd episode. I really hope this show sticks around for multiple seasons as long as the story progresses nicely. I think it is far superior to the Stargate shows that SciFi runs on Friday nights.

Dalton

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Thanks for the info Dalton. I will definitely be watching.
So is the one they showed on NBC last night the entire miniseries or one cut to fit in the three hour timeslot?

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
It was cut down from four to three hours. The original cut (with deleted scenes) is being released on DVD soon.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
To add onto that, though they cut some out, they definately left a lot in -- i think it was a good way to expose non-BSG fans to the series. Hopefully, it'll have some effect on the ratings for the new season.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Just watched Episode 11. Excellent in a word. Baltar continues to be my favorite character and he certainly didn't dissapoint in this episode.

The scene with him and the female reporter in the restroom was great! I was in hysterics.

Too bad there are only 2 episodes left in the season.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks