What's new

The Battlestar Galactica appreciation thread (Spoilers!) (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
One thing those who've seen the European broadcast can say is for those in the Americas to stick with it. As the show progresses, the storyline really does grow on you. There's definitely a lot more controversial (and realistic) stuff going on in this new series than could have ever occurred in the original "Disco" version.

Am I dreaming or have they dramatically cut down the "jerky cameraman" style? That could have been a series killer for me.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I watched both episodes on Friday and enjoyed them both but it this going to turn into a cat and mouse game every week? That will get old? I think we need a bit more humor from time to time too. even Lost interjects humor from ocassionally.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

Was the original airing longer. I seem to remember scenes with the doctor and such that weren't in the version shown earlier this week.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I am surprised at the lack of discussion on this show. I am hoping more US fans watched it on Friday vs. other less ratings-inducing means. It was solid writing and very tense. "33" was cool and established the whole "can't stand still" idea. "Water" did the "trust no one" route. I don't think the entire series will be just cat and mouse, but that will be a lot of it. I mean, they are on the run from a superior force looking for the myth called "Earth." It looks like they will have more contact with other colonies on their way out but I don't think we will have disco-ball aliens and such like the original series. Haven't they kind of implied that there are no aliens, just gobs of human colonies?

I need to re-watch the pilot but were Cylon's that look like humans actually biological humans, just superior ones? Kind of like the replicants in "Bladerunner" the movie?

Good show. Nice scripts but I too look forward to the lighter side. Even "Lost" didn't lighten up too much until they settled in a bit for a few episodes. I think these initial eps are establishing a setting more than anything.

Crossing fingers it stays on a while.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
We though the show was great. I really liked the original mini series because it wasn't too goody goody, it was very dark and very real and from the sounds of things its going to keep going like that.

I do wonder about some things that might not make sense...but I think they are going in the right direction.

I would bet, since they showed the mini series on NBC I wonder if NBC might pick this up if it goes well.

I wonder also if alot of us in the US are not reading this thread because of what I posted above, I let this thread sit for the past few months never even looked at it.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
The "overnight ratings" for the first two US airings of Battlestar Galactica are 3.3 (whatever that means).

On the official SciFi messageboard it was said that anything over 2.0 would be a big success - as a comparison Stargate SG-1 has about 1.7 each week and Friday's episode of Enterprise had 1.9.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I am very impressed with the first two episodes of the series. Very dark and I get the feeling of peril that was missing in the original series.

The special effects, by TV standards, are outstanding. I love the way the spacecraft move in space. There is a real sense of size and bulk when the Galactic maneuvers.

I also hope that some of the episodes lighten up a bit but the creators should never let up on the fact that humanity is fighting for its very existence. I look forward to the remaining 11 episodes.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton

Mikel,
Don't worry, i have seen the first 11 episodes and humor is definetly part of the show. There are some very funny scenes especially where Baltar is concerned. Just watch and see. Best Sci-Fi show i have seen in a while. I am a Star Trek fan also but i think this new BSG knocks the socks off of Enterprise though. Easily better than the Stargate shows IMO. I really hope we get a second season.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I truly hope this show does well. I am thoroughly hooked and impressed by what I have seen so far. My wife actually seemed a little interested and she never is with SciFi type shows.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I had also reserved my thoughts until I watched the Mini, and the new Ep's together...WOW!!!!!!!
I'm very excited, Fridays...a whole night devoted to SCIFI...KICK A$$.!!!!!! I watched as often as I could as a kid, and am back in my glory now. What a wonderful time to be alive, now that our technology can match our imagination.
Did I miss something?? I've noticed this recurring through this thread, How is that even possible?? Do you guys work for the studio or something??

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
My house is now the official "SciFi Friday" headquarters. Four hours of SciFi. Enterprise at 8:00, Stargate: Atlantis at 9:00, Battlestar Galactica at 10:00 and the repeat of Stargate: SG1 at 11:00. I have a feeling much alcohol will be involved.

I had seven people over for the premiere of BG and we all had a blast. What a great show.

Why hasn't the SciFi channel gone HD? BG would look fantastic in High Definition.

Kevin, the first 11 eps have been shown on Sky in Europe.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
We watched the preview thingie on Sci Fi, they have already been renewed for Season 2 according to one of the actors on thhe preview.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
As I recall, that's how many millions of households in the U.S. that have at least one TV watching the show (based on a statistical sampling of "Nielsen families"). Of course, without knowing how many millions of households there are, and how many of them are usually watching TVs, the number has no context. The comparison with Stargate and Star Trek is useful.

I thought the first two were pretty good. Interesting how the number dropped below the psychological 50,000. Did Boomer overcome her "programming" to recognize the water and/or not blow up her ship? (Do they call them Raptors?) I forget: what's the relationship between Starbuck and the Colonel?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I finally caught both shows on the DVR. Of the two I think I preferred 33. I loved the premise of the Cylons keeping the humans from sleeping, of course the only plot hole is why not just keep doing it, eventually the humans would crack, instead they go with the Nuke plan , it fails and they give up the tatic for no reason. Water was good ep just not up to the previous show. I liked that this version is dealing with the aftermath on the society of a genocide of this magnitude, both Psychologically and physically. On the Original Series three hour movie the damn colonials were partying it up on carrilon after being subjected to a holocaust, looking back not very realistic.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
I don't think there was a plot hole in "33" . As I remember it , and I could well be wrong , the Cylons needed someone in the fleet to signal them after every jump . If that person/cylon wasn't able or willing to do so anymore then they'd not be able to keep up the tactic .

BTW the cat and mouse aspect slides into the background a little later in the season , leaving the floor open for more diverse character driven storylines .

Anyone who saw monday 17th's episode in Britain , what was the deal with Baltar ? I missed the first 10 minutes and by then he'd started acting all psycho . Was this his new found power overwhelming him , or had his inner cylon started to really mess with his head ?

Spero D

Second Unit
Rob_Walton- No need for spoiler cover as this whole thread is listed as containing spoilers. Just saw that latest ep that you saw where they found Cobol tonight. Great ep. I also liked Baltar freaking out :) Can't wait to see Part 2 which unfortunetly is the final of this season.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well the original season had a problem with the cylons as well, after a while the cat and mouse became tiring. Later in the season they turned away from this they captured Baltar, they went on to the count iblis and the Creatures of Light and the Eastern Alliance, only returning to the Cylons for the Series Finale , THe Hand of God.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Would it be possible to keep separate threads for the US airings and the UK ones? I realise that it'll be moot after next week (the UK season finale), but I don't want to spoil the US viewers...

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

I've read that SciFi's decision on a second season will be made on February the 1st. Sky has already agreed to co-finance the second season - but only if they get to show the second season earlier than SciFi again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks