What's new

The Adventures of Superboy (1 Viewer)

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Has anyone brought this up before? Any chance on seeing this late eighties/early nineties show hit DVD?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was going to bring this up at the Warner chat. But, I never got picked. I did hear that the show is in a legal limbo. You can go to www.gerardchristopher.com He was the guy who played Superboy after the first season. He sells some of the episodes on vhs, but they are expensive. You figure with the popularity of Smallville they might want to release this. Although, the Stacy Haiduk Lana is much hotter than the Kristen Kruek Lana. ;)

ps-Gerard Christopher tells a story. Whether its true or not is up for debate. Anyway, he tells that he auditioned for the role of Supes in the Lois & Clark tv show. But, when they asked him back for another audition they found out he played Superboy and booted him.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I'd actually pick up this series on DVD if the price was reasonable. The last 2 seasons were a precursor to The X-Files.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
It started off a bit clunky, especially in the first season, where some of the episodes was like "Clark Kent Goes to College", and Lex Luthor was a bit of a jerk. I did, however, like John Haymes Newton's portrayal of Clark in the first season.

The second season is when things got turned up a notch when Gerard Christopher took over as Superboy. Very much like Christopher Reeve - and there had even been a rumor after the series of GC taking over as Superman for the potential fifth film. However, his portrayal of Clark - well, let's just say that we know at least one of the main inspirations for Steve Urkel in "Family Matters". The only thing missing from Clark's vocabulary was, "Did I do thaaaaaaaaaat?" :D

Season Three is where the series really matured. New title, new storylines geared toward older viewers, a number of the stories taking place at night a la the first "Batman" film. Even the concept changed, with Clark and Lana interning at an agency for paranormal matters (pre-X Files). There was one episode where Superboy was attacked by an alien parasite mold, and in one of the dreams he had, Lex Luger replaced him as the new Superboy. Another couple of episodes had a character referred to as "Young Dracula", which worked pretty well and could have doubled as a pilot for a potential series.

The stellar episode, in my opinion, came with Season Four's "The Death of Superboy", which was formatted differently from the typical episodes but nevertheless done quite well.

There had been rumors that they were planning on a reunion movie after the series' conclusion, but it never fully materialized.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
A great episode was a multi-part episode called the "Road Not Taken". In it Lex creates a device that opens a portal to a parallel universe. In this parallel Universe Clark (I think) was raised by an old mean farmer(not the Kents) and becomes the ruler of Earth and Lex is a good guy fighting him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks