The 3 Long Popeye Cartoons...on Dvd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, May 1, 2002.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    The terrific Technicolor Popeye cartoons of Max Fleischer's that were released as special 20-minute editions were POPEYE THE SAILOR MEETS SINBAD THE SAILOR; POPEYE THE SAILOR MEETS ALI BABA AND THE FORTY THIEVES and ALADDIN AND HIS WONDERFUL LAMP. I think two of these were released on those Cartoon Crazies collections, but are all three collected on one disc in restored (or at least not degraded) form? If so, what is the title of the disc and is it still in print?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    WB and King Features are working out a deal for Popeye to be on DVD by next year.
    What happened was that MGM/UA (in 1983) foolishly signed King Features into a contract saying they had the right to say when and what for a Popeye home video. Well, techincally, MGM/UA owned the cartoons completely, so they made a major screw up.
    WB has recently had the original titles found for most of the Popeye cartoons, so it's just a matter of restoring the image (they have the negatives to all the cartoons) and sound.
    I'd avoid any DVD's out now since they come from EASTMANCOLOR prints, whereas WB has Technicolor prints.
    Also:
    Some of these public domain prints heavily edit these 3 cartoons. In fact, one version of Sindbad is cut from 16 minutes to 7! [​IMG]

3. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

I would love to see these restored for DVD release. Thanks for the information!

4. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    They are on laser disc, issued by Republic Pictures in beautiful color and full running times.