What's new

The 2004 Emmy Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I havent seen his role on The Practice but I thought the comedic bit with him and Sharon Stone on the awards was funny.
She said something to the effect," I love you in all your movies and TV shows" and he replied, "So do I".

Seth--L

Screenwriter

This probably more than anything else, even censorship, is what separates HBO from all other shows on broadcast TV.

When you're dealing with TV commercials, you have to have a dramatic climax every five minutes, which makes shows feel formulaic. Shows like "The Sopranos" and "Curb" are unique because there may only be one climax, and it may not happen until the last 5 minutes. Thus, the lack of commercials gives writers much more control over the narrative structure of an episode.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
The highlight of the evening was James Spader's win. Have been following his work for over 20 years, and I don't think he's ever gotten enough recognition. I think it's his unique delivery and inner angst behind that sometimes steady stare that gives Alan Shore a lot more complexity than might appear on the written page. :emoji_thumbsup: Hope this gives "Boston Legal" a little momentum when it begins in a couple of weeks.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I expect The Drew Carey Show will be given its tribute on next years' show. Even though the Emmys were on ABC THIS year. Hmm.

I was a bit annoyed with the national 11:00 newscast I watched immediately afterwards. There was NO MENTION of Arrested Development. What's the point of winning an Emmy if you can't get some free publicity about how good your show is? Does The Sopranos really need more free publicity?

Maybe the idiot who was in charge of getting the clips together for all the potential winners didn't bother getting any together for Arrested Development.

Grr.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
On my local news this morning they talked alot about Arrested Development winning the award.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Totally disagree.

The economic models for the big 3 has changed.. to offer them more opportunities. ABC/Disney owns ESPN, and look at what they've done... their own original series (Playmakers) movies (Texas Boys, Hustle coming out this week) etc. They also have ABC Family, Disney Channel, etc.

CBS has Viacom.. which is MTV, VH1, Nick, etc.

NBC also owns it's own enterprises, and links to Paramount development, ala USA Networks.

So, what happens to the major networks? Developing a "risk" show is less risk, because even if the show dies, they can quickly drop it off onto a channel down the cable dial.

Networks assuredly need the shows to be good, and popular.. but they can afford to take the risks. They just by and large choose not to, because instead of looking for breakout TV, they are evaluating shows by "could this show live x episodes in order for me to have this syndicated throughout my own network and continue to net income?"

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That used to be the case. TV on DVD and Reality Television have changed that. The syndication window, while still valued, doesn't hold the significance it once did. They can produce reality television that makes enough money in the short-term for them to neglect the long-term losses from the lack of a syndication window for non-scripted fare. In addition, the mainstream audience has to be faulted; when the biggest ratings got to the CSIs and police procedurals, it's no wonder that's what they gravitate towards.

That's part of what made me loves Arrested Development's win (other than it being my favorite of the nominations): Fox took a risk and nutured it, and they were rewarded. It's part of the reason I wanted Joan to win so much, for the same reason. Fortunately that's in a more secure place on a much tougher night so it should far fine.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
According to the newspaper, James Gandolfini was cut off at the end of the Emmy's, and a Sopranos producer offered that Gandolfini just wanted to do a shoutout to a military unit in Iraq who named one of their vehicles the same name as Tony Soprano's boat. At press time no whackings had been uncovered.

Tony_La

Stunt Coordinator

I was rooting for Amber as well. Though I would've been cool with Mariska Hargitay winning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks