What's new

That Sony Wega Commercial on NBC HD Olympic Coverage (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I keep thinking I'm missing something.

I would think Sony knew it would be broadcast on an HD channel. And those watching it would be doing so on an HD set. It basically looks like a SD commercial re-framed to 16x9. AM I missing something?

Did anyone else notice this or try and figure out what their intent is?

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
I'm no Madison Avenue executive but...

Airing an HD commercial on an only-HD channel clearly to those who already own HD sets iseems to be not as productive as swaying those without HD sets to buy one by showing it on SD channels. This is besides the fact the commercial is not in HD and loses it's impact when shown on an HD channel.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Are we talking about the "Chips...and salsa" commercial? If it's not in HD, it's at least 16x9.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Sony doesn't give a hoot about the home viewers, they know that audience is limited.

THINK about it - where is most of America right now going to see the Olympics in HD? Simple - at Best Buy, Circuit City and just about any other "king of big screen" local HD retailer out there.

I think it is a brilliant marketing move by Sony. They are the only brand ads you see on the HD feed.

I would imagine Panasonic (the official sponsor, if their names on all the jumbo venue screens means anything) must be kicking themselves. And I'm willing to bet this cost Sony a whole heck of a lot less than what the Olympics would have charged them.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
But I don't get why they would not make the commercial as crisp and clear as possible. It looks like sh!# all around. The first time I saw it I expected a visual revelation at some point to show how good HD looked versus standard def. THAT would have made sense if they knew it would be airing on an HD only broadcast.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Aaaahhhh... but did you notice the image from the HDTV in the commercial? Crystal clear.... :D

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

Nor so sure about that - this is Sony's target market. My point was to place the HD ads on SD channels, as those people don't own an HDTV yet. It does help position Sony as a leader, but the sales will come from those who have SD and are pushed to upgrade.

As to the audiences watching the Olymics from Best Buy, I'm not sure how they can hear anything with the bass coming from the car radio department ;-)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
All I have to say about that set up is: what's up with those crappy looking speakers!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks