What's new

Thanks, SVS! (1 Viewer)

Jim Ruhnke

Auditioning
Hi there. I'm posting this message because I just want to share a recent experience I had with SVS.

I recently found a deal on a used CS Ultra sub in fine condition. I had been agonizing over buying a new one (it'd be the most expensive component of my HT system), and when the used one popped up (a rare event, in my experience), I had to jump.

The seller (who lived a few states away from me) took the Ultra to an independent shipping counter and had it "professionally" packed. Whether the packing was deficient, UPS mishandled it, or whatever, the sub arrived in fine shape, with the small exception that the driver frame had fractured, and was completely ruined.

I contacted Tom V. at SVS and explained my situation, and asked for technical advice on things to check to make sure that there wasn't "hidden" damage elsewhere. I also explicitly told him that I wasn't looking for sympathy, or a handout, and just wanted help from "the experts" to make sure I repaired the damage properly. SVS was not responsible for the damage, and I certainly never felt like they "owed" me anything to get the unit repaired.

Tom provided that requested info, then immediately offered a discount on a new driver if that's what I wanted, and then went even farther and offered a (deep!) discount on a B-stock driver to get me back in shape. He was also very generous with several other miscellaneous smaller (but not insignificant!) items, and overall made me a deal that I felt almost guilty in accepting.

My parts arrived a few days after contacting SVS, in perfect shape due to the careful packing job. I was ecstatic to find a driver with a few cosmetic blemishes, but no apparent performance degradation. Within just a few minutes, I had my Ultra reassembled, and was finally enjoying the spectacular bass I've heard so much about from so many other satisfied SVS customers.

I wasn't even an original customer. I had picked up a used unit trying to save a few bucks, and had some bad luck. Tom had no obligation to me from any prior relationship; he just decided to do what he could to help out a guy in a fix, and was far more generous than I had any reason to expect. (Well, to be honest, I wasn't surprised at his response, since I had heard similar stories of excellent customer service in the past, but it was still far more than I had any right to ask for!)

I have no formal affiliation with or obligation to SVS. Nobody asked me to post this. I'm just a very satisfied customer, and want to share my positive experience with SVS with others who may be considering doing business with them. Their customer service is exceptional!

Jim Ruhnke

ScottCarr

Second Unit
This is why this company has so darn many repeat customers. They take care of their end users and the end users take care of them.

I have bought 5 subs from these guys over the last year. 6 and 7 will be the PB2 Ultras. Every single purchase has been an exciting smooth and unbelievable experience.

One of the PB2+ was missing a rubber foot. Came home from work and there was an SVS Package on my door step. It was way too small for a sub, hehehehe, but it did have a full set of replacements feet.

Thanks SVS and congrats on you new Sub Jim.

Scott

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Ron at SVS is one nice guy that wants to help folks and give you the best bang for your buck. There is no doubt about it. Now that I have an SVS PB2+ and the experience I have had with that company (was on the waiting list when the thing was first announced around last Dec. or so) I would never think of getting another sub anywhere else. Treated me like I was the only customer and did not try to oversell me. Thanks SVS.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Any company with a 20 minute turn around on emails has great customer service. When it's the owner who sends the email, you know you have something golden. At least, that was my experience with them. Oh yeah it was also at 9:00 on a Friday night.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I just don't see how they are making money but I guess that is there problem. I have mine and I am a very happy camper.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I'm sure they do well. There is no middleman markup (which is generally 40% of list or 20-30% of actual selling price). They actually offer a great product at a fair price instead of gouging the consumer with whatever the supply and demand curve says they can sell at to optimize profits. (OOPS! Maybe I shouldn't have given them any ideas!)

Bill Randall

Auditioning
I recently had problems with the driver in my 20-39pc+ and needed a replacement. After emailing Tom V. on a holiday evening, was I surprised when I got a quick reply and subsequent resolution to my problem within an hour or so.Within a couple days or so, the driver was replaced and all was well. It makes me want to buy gear from them just to keep them in business!:)

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
I would have to say, in retrospect SVS' service was/(is probably) second to non except for one *cough* email virus. I don't wanna open up old wound but I'd probably didn't have to go DIY route/Take woodworking class had it not SVS ship me a ****ing used subwoofer. Okay maybe they just put on the scratched port cover just to piss me off.:D

Poor Ron, probably thought i work for Hsu or something. tsk tsk.

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
All I can say is that Ron, Tom and Erik went to great lengths to make me happy. Extremely happy at that. I have an email folder with over 20 emails from them. Answers to my questions that I sent at all hours, and that they promptly answered back at all hours.

More patient people I have never met.

At the time, I agonized over getting a PB2+, the prospect of sandwiches and ham and cheese for a month was terrible to behold.

Looking back after hearing and feeling the results, ham and cheese never tatsed so good.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I am sure any company no matter how hard they try have shipping problems among others. Being a business owner myself I know that there are just those folks out there that won't be 100% happy no matter what but I am here to tell you that Ron and the gang at SVS are an honest and fine group of guys that sincerely want you the end user to be happy with your purchase. If your not, they also want to be the first to know why and what they can do to make a fix or a change that gets you what you need. I think Ron is so careful that he tends to under sell possibly but on the other hand that shows what an honest outfit this company is. I am hoping to get many years out of my new PB2 but I would not even consider going some place else for a sub. My friends that drop by and listen agree. When they get to or be able to upgrade they will go SVS without a doubt.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
I wasn't even an original customer. I had picked up a used unit trying to save a few bucks, and had some bad luck. Tom had no obligation to me from any prior relationship; he just decided to do what he could to help out a guy in a fix, and was far more generous than I had any reason to expect.
Too often manufacturers (and their dealers) tend to forget the fact that if someone buys used stuff, their logo is still on the nameplate, and it's still their product no matter where it came from. Instead of an opportunity to build brand loyalty they tend to see it as a loss on selling a 'new' product :frowning:

kudos to SVS, and here's hoping they never catch 'big company' ailments

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I'll pile on here too! SVS bore with me though a rapid series of UpGrade-itus, even replaced a unit that I may have damaged through some abuse I put it through. (I will never play sine waves at high power again. I promise!!) Even though I know they thought I was nuts, they never stopped meeting me more than half-way. I'm happy as can be with my pair of
stacked Ultras and Crown K2 power amp! I even had one B4 owner over who felt they compared favorably to his.

Thanks SVS!!!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordon

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I sometimes think SVS appreciates when the end users tortures/experiments with their products. It seems many of us have some very dilusional ideas that we have to try, just to see. As Gordon has proved. I have experimented a little with my PB2+s.

Gordons Ultra Tower is pretty slick.

Tom and Ron are right there if you ever have a problem or a question.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Also Gordon has a very nice wife. Have not met her but I can tell she is alot like mine. We have been married for 24 years and she never has said a bad thing to me when a new HT toy comes home and she is not even into the HT that much but an ocasional movie. Even offers to help if I need it setting something up. Now if I could just get her a better job so I can go to a dedicated HT room with a front projector and some ungodly amp with 2000 watts of power that makes the whole block shake. Actually I think she would say something negative then.... haah

ForrestW

Auditioning
Gordon,

I was wondering how you were able to tell that your sub might have been damaged from playing the sine waves too loud? I recently ran sine tones on my sub at slightly high levels before I learned that I could damage the drivers. A couple of the tones were in the 105 db range. As far as I can tell, I haven't done any damage, but this is my first subwoofer and I really don't know how I would determine if I have harmed anything. Is there an obvious audible difference in the sound if I have damaged the driver? Everything sounds fine now, but I want to make sure that I haven't done anything stupid at this point. Thanks.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I really don't think I damaged it with the sine wav torture test. Did not smell anything hot anyway. :)

I was more concerned that with my single Ultra and an old power amp I was driving it with, I was bottoming it out on a regular basis. You know when that happens - loud "Clack"!
This seemed to be happening "easier" and that's why I suspected a problem. Still think it may have been my imagination running away with me after hearing how bad my sine wav trial was for it. Regardless, SVS stood by me ALL THE WAY!

And, yes Mikeli, Sweet Nancy is truly Sweet! Except when I'm demoing the subs. The floors vibrating and teapots rattling gets her goat a bit. :)

Gordon

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Great product, fair price, outstanding Customer Service. This surefire recipe for success might look easy on paper, but in reality it is a bitch to pull off. SVS has pounded that nail and now into the 4th year shows no signs of letting up.

The customer service end of things is really where a smaller company lives and dies. Great CS - making each customer feel like they matter as a person - can't be faked. It takes PASSION for the product, the business, and the industry and SVS has that in spades. That passion is infectious and it builds rabid customer loyalty. The kind of loyalty that makes people like Scott buy 7 subs (approaching $10,000) in just over a year. The kind of loyalty that makes customers like Gordon buy a second Ultra and a Crown K2 after he was treated more than fairly after smoking his first Ultra (We Were Soldiers Broken Arrow - go Gordon!). If SVS told Gordon to take a hike on the first go around, he might very well be in someone else's corner right now. Instead he ponied up with a big purchase.

Speaking of Gordon - how's that organ music? Has it made the twins break a sweat?

Regards,

Ed

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
That is another reason I will be doing business with SVS when I upgrade my subwoofer.

A few weeks ago, I wrote Tom and told him that I thought his company was awesome and I would be doing business with him. :emoji_thumbsup:

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I've got those organ discs, I know this is an SVS thread, but they sound great on my VTF-3.

I can only imagine what they sound like on Gordon's set up! A true religious experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks