What's new

Testy Area 51 (4 Viewers)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
What a useless shower of idiots. Honestly. Cameron gambled that the Brits wouldn't want to leave the EU and lost the bet (and the plot). May gambled that this snap election would be an easy victory for the Tories and destroy Labour in the process. Bollocks!

The glory days of Churchill and other great leaders of the past is long gone, now we have politicians who spend more time watching TV than reading books, they run to Wikipedia whenever a name or country comes up, Rubbish! The last great leader Britain had was Margaret Thatcher and everyone hated her. We kept voting for her because the opposition was so weak and pathetic.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
the ones good at memes and social media are the ones that win. Reality Show Democracy will be the death of us all.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Hi guys, I'm still here. I'm thinking of moving to Scotland next, and than maybe... Iceland.
Scotland was once the most manly and warlike part of the UK but I think that's long gone now. Iceland is a republic with their own currency but somewhat remote. It takes 7 years residency though to become a naturalized Iceland citizen. You could always consider relocating to a red state. Hey if Churchill could die a US citizen so could you.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Ehhh...what's DUP doc?
latest

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Congrats Ray! Ray Charles looks pleased with the results too. :)

Dennis, I didn't even know what the DUP was until a couple of days ago. What a mess. Get rid of May and put a man in charge. [That's enough Steve!] And I don't mean that Marxist hippie pacifist twit, if England was invaded he would surrender immediately "to avoid any bloodshed". But than again who the heck would want to invade this miserable country?

I was planning to see the umpteenth remake of The Mummy but as usual the critics put me off. I know we said "who gives a damn what the critics think, I'll make up my own mind!" but we also said "I don't like throwing money away!". :)

More than 30 years ago I paid no heed to the critics and went and saw Supergirl with a friend of mine, when the film was over we crept out hiding our faces in case we were recognised. A few years later, gluttons for punishment I stuck two fingers up at the critics and went and saw Superman IV on the big screen, probaby with the same friend, I think we snuck out the back exit when it was mercifully over. We successfully avoided Jaws the Revenge after the critics wiped their arses on it.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
OMG, Steve.

Grenfell Tower.
Already a heartbreaking story about a woman who dropped a baby down from a window on the 20th floor - who was caught safely by a man - but her own fate unknown.
There are so many involved one doesn't know, but I'm just thinking about her. Hope she survived.

Cees

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
This day Russ, or this month?

Cees, I haven't been following the news closely, obviously I've heard about the burning tower but from what I know is it was probably started by a faulty kitchen appliance? People were leaping to their deaths. The death mount will rise. These tower blocks were built about 50 years ago, they're death traps.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's weird. Years and years before "nine-eleven" a constructor told me that armed concrete buildings would just collapse "like dust" in a big fire. The metal (iron) inside would melt and the rest would not be able to support the structure, he told me.

That was exactly what happened to the WTC of course and I never stopped thinking about his words since then.

In this case it didn't happen fortunately. One difference with the WTC being the amount of kerosine that was released inside the building - none in this case.

Some of the other stories victims are telling are alike, though. Including people getting fatally wrong advice apparently ("stay inside, place a wet towel below your front door").

Cees

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The iron doesn't need to "melt" but it loses its strength due to the heat. Metallurgy is a strange branch of engineering and I wish I knew as much about it as my blacksmith grandfather.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's really horrible.

One of the things I was thinking as I watched the footage of the fire was that I couldn't remember seeing a building that size so fully engulfed. At one point, each floor was ablaze. It looked like something that might have happened a century ago in some of the early high-rise wooden structures. It seems in the US, a bad apartment building fire can usually be confined to one or two floors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.