What's new

Territorial lockout on GameCube? (1 Viewer)

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the GameCube will have territorial lockout on its games? Being a Japanese person who lives in the States, I always want to have the best of both worlds :)
------------------

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure it will.
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The GBA doesn't have it, and I think Microsoft has left that up to the developers for the XB, so you never know. The thing is, territorial lockout is neither good nor bad. If someone imports the game, it still sells a copy. If someone buys a localized version, it still sells a copy. They probably will have the lockout, considering they have it on every other Nintendo system.

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Nintendo systems never had any real hardware version of territorial lockout since the 8-bit NES.
The 8-bit NES had different size pin connectors for their cartridges than the Famicom, the NES's Japanese counterpart.
The SNES only had small blocks inside the slot where you put the cartridge in so that Super Famicom cartridges wouldn't fit.
The same as above for the N64.
The Gameboy and Gameboy Advance don't have territorial lockout at all.
So i'm hoping the trend will continue for the GC...
------------------

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the only way for the territorial lockout now would be for it to be in the software, which I doubt Nintendo will do since it would be more profitable for there to be no territorial lockout. Some people will buy a game from Japan (like a Final Fantasy game) and then buy the same game in America, and it all ends up being profitable. I hope there's no lockout, if there is then people will just make converters or mod-chips and make money off of those which Nintendo wouldn't like.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The problem is, Nintendo has always been known to be easy on the lockouts. But given that it'll have to be a hardware one, I forsee problems

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks