What's new

Terminator and Terminator 2... same script? (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
OK, this is going to be a REALLY weird thread because at age 24 and after having seen Terminator 2 at least 50 times, I saw The Terminator (Terminator 1) for the first time last night. I got T2 UE as a gift, and after watching it, I decided to go pick up the original terminator. Now most sequels/series will have similarites because they are dealing with the same subject matter but these movies seem to be very similar, and some of the lines are even the same. So I wonder if it was done on purpose or what. First, there are many lines that between Arnold in T1, Arnold in T2, the T1000 and Kyle Reese are spoken multiple times. So I dont know if its a joke/call back angle or what. For example, when Arnold 1 jacks the truck near the end of T1 he just looks at the passanger and says "get out" and the guy totally bails. Then in T2 when the T1000 jacks the helicopter he delivers the same line in almost the same way with the same response. The guy jumps from an airborn helicopter for crying out loud. Then there is the terminator arm thing. Of course there is the arm left sticking out of the press in T1, but dont forget that Arnold 2 loses an arm in the gears before the final showdown with the T1000 and it is never disposed of. Of course this could be a plot device for T3. I could name others but I would probably have to watch the movies again. So I guess the question is, are these movies no different than other series, or are these examples of weak writing, or are they intentional call-backs in T-2 for fans of T-1?

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
They're intentional. (And it's not just dialogue, but similar shots here and there as well.)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Terminator 1 created Arnold's signature lines "I'll Be Back" and such. Plus, giventhe decade between the first and second movies, you can't rely on your audience remembering things. So both stand alone while still building on the original

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Got it, It actually makes it funnier if they are intentional, but it would be really lame to just think they were that unoriginal.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Both the T100 T1000 were designed and programmed by cyberdyne, so it stands to reason that they would say the same thing in similar situations. For example, "get out" Obviously the thing to say to someone when you want them to gt out.;)
Also, James Cameron sprinkles in those nods to the original. Just like Star Wars has re-used lines. "I have bad feeling about this."

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
My favorite line in both movies is "Come with me if you want to live." Classic!
I 100% agree on this one. One of the coolest twists on the situation you could imagine.
Keep in mind that had you come from T1 first, you as an audience member are still adjusting to Arnie as a good guy, and you know where she is coming from as well in freaking out at his presence. That he uses the same line as was used in the first film, in a very similar looking moment, just adds to this effect.
Also keep this in mind, while the hype basically ruined the surprise, T2 is played to trick the audience into thinking that Arnie is the bad guy, leading to the incredible hallway sequence when, surprise, he's the good guy.
That damn GnR video basically ruined this, along with a shitload of press before the film.
BTW, the sneak preview audiences roared with cheers during and after this film when I first saw it. One of my favorite theater experiences. JC was just pushing every right button with the audience, and again, a lot of that had to do with references from the first film. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I agree with Seth...I remember first hearing that Arnie was the good guy on an Access Hollywood type program a few weeks before release. I was not happy. One of the driving motives behind that was the increased pressure on Hollywood about violence in films. The blowhards were using T2 (big budget, big star, big history) as Exhibit A without seeing it. The idea that the action hero STAR Arnie would be killing lots of people (like in 1984), while being idolized caused a lot of hand-wringing. Until they brought some reporters (Newsweek, I think) to see what JC was doing. Just a cycle in the media.

I remember the line from the first (and one of the very best) trailer: "I swear...I will not kill anyone." It had people in total stitches. But JC pulled it off. Arnie kills NO ONE in T2. Not a soul.

JC pulled off a real masterpiece here, with plenty of nods to T1 (another great).

Take care,
Chuck

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yep the transition in Arnie's character between the two was skillfully done.

Wistfully though I wish they had followed a plot line in T2 where Arnie was the bad guy still.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Charles,
if you can find it, pick up the illustrated screenplay for T2. I know that the T2 UE dvd has the script, but the illustrated screenplay has annotations by Cameron that explain his motives for cutting down and deleting some shots. It's a real eye opener to understanding how Cameron works and thinks as a filmmaker.

The T-1000 is by far my favorite screen villian of all time! Sleek, fast, determined unstoppable, terrifying, and relentless, with the perfect camoflage and exhibiting a cool and collected exterior the whole time. He's the stuff that nightmare's are made of! Dare I say even more threatening than Arnold himself!

The charactor is sheer perfection in his design and execution.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
John,

AND perfectly typecast. The actor is so brilliant in this role (the fast movements with stretched arms, the great mimic), that you (1) forget a few weak points (why does he have to return to that first form over and over - only to let us know who he is, of course) and (2) wish you saw him more often (but except for Last Action Hero, I've never seen another movie with Robert Patrick in it).

Cees

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Well, you can recognize Robert Patrick in Die Hard 2. He doesn't last long though, and we'll make no more reference to Die Hard 2 from this point on!

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I think Robert Patrick's best role outside of T2 is "Copland" where he played a crooked cop. He holds his own.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I was going to mention Copland as well.

Patrick is not a superstar actor, but he can be pretty solid in the right roles.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

It's funny how often I see this point mentioned, but no one ever really thinks about it. Just because you saw the "left behind" hand in the lab at Cyberdyne, doesn't mean it had ANYTHING to do with the research they did that caused the breakthrough.

The film makes it completely obvious that the key element of the entire "discovery" was the microprocessor used as the brain. That is the item they were studying, that is the piece that sent them in all new directions, that was the entire point. The arm is never mentioned, never referenced- and the movie spells out the whole processor research element in about 4 different ways (including showing 3-d diagrams of it on Miles' computer).

I saw an interview with Jim once where they asked him if he worked the "left behind" arm thing into 2 as an opening for a sequel-- and he was really surprised that anyone would take that away from the film. He said something basically saying he must have done a poor job explaining how the technology evolved if people thought the arm had anything to do with it.

-Vince

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I remember the line from the first (and one of the very best) trailer: "I swear...I will not kill anyone." It had people in total stitches. But JC pulled it off. Arnie kills NO ONE in T2. Not a soul.
Which reminds me of one of my favorite lines in the movie: "he'll live", spoken after he shoots the hostipal guard, in his knees, just after he's given the promise he will not kill anyone.

Another favorite, of course, is: "I need your clothes, boots and your motorcycle! ".

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Another favorite, of course, is: "I need your clothes, boots and your motorcycle! ".
"You forgot to say please."

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
A few of his one liners that I like and use from time to time are in another episode-- when he rips the seat out of that little car and tells the gal to drive. She has a appointment at 6:00 or something and states I need to be there at 6:00 and he says "Your not going to make it" and the "I lied" when he lets go of the jerk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks