What's new

Television above a coal effect gas fire (1 Viewer)

geordiejohn

Auditioning
Real Name
John William Penrose
Hello I have got a Pansonic led tv above a gas fire and I was wondering if it is safe to have the fire on?
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20180210_115437.jpg
    20180210_115437.jpg
    646.7 KB · Views: 296

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Sorry, but my wife and I always laugh when we see a TV mounted like this. It shows us that the people who live in the house bought the set as a “cool decorating feature” rather than to actually watch it.

Who wants to sit off to the side and crane your neck to the ceiling to watch a tv that should be right in front of you at eye level? It looks like someone took advice on location from the furniture store rather than the electronics store.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you are concerned about the TV getting too hot when the fire is on, you could try renting a thermal imaging gun. You would take some readings with the set on and no fire. Then take a series of readings over time with the set and fire on. You could then compare them to the earlier readings to see if there is an appreciable increase.

Personally, I doubt there would be a problem considering that the fireplace surround looks like wood wainscoting or panel board. I think placing a TV over a fireplace is not a very ideal location but I have seen TVs located above gas fireplaces in other houses that I have been in.

geordiejohn

Auditioning
Real Name
John William Penrose
Thank you for your comment which was the best reply and at least you did not judge me for putting my tv on the chimney breast.

If you are concerned about the TV getting too hot when the fire is on, you could try renting a thermal imaging gun. You would take some readings with the set on and no fire. Then take a series of readings over time with the set and fire on. You could then compare them to the earlier readings to see if there is an appreciable increase.

Personally, I doubt there would be a problem considering that the fireplace surround looks like wood wainscoting or panel board. I think placing a TV over a fireplace is not a very ideal location but I have seen TVs located above gas fireplaces in other houses that I have been in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks