What's new

Matrix switch w/ fire sticks (1 Viewer)

nw2571

Auditioning
Real Name
Neal
I have a 4x2 hdmi matrix switch with 2 Amazon fire sticks, cable box, and a Nintendo Switch switching between 2 tvs in my basement. The idea being I can watch 2 sporting events at a time and easily switch from my 75" and a 32" TV mounted above, with my audio receiver always playing output 1 (whatever is on the 75" tv). It's a sports bar kind of setup.

It works great with 1 small annoyance. When switching fire sticks, they tend to pause when they aren't being output to either TV even for a split second. Example, stick 1 is playing on output 2 and I switch to output 1, no issues. If stick 2 was playing on output 1, when I switch it to output 2 it pauses because it wasn't being output to either tv for the second it took to shift around the outputs. Then I have to press play again on the firestick remote.

Anyone have thoughts on how to fix this. Does Roku have this same issue (or could someone with a Roku test it?)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm a bit confused by your example:
Example, stick 1 is playing on output 2 and I switch to output 1, no issues. If stick 2 was playing on output 1, when I switch it to output 2 it pauses because it wasn't being output to either tv for the second it took to shift around the outputs.
So does this mean that that whenever you switch from output 2 to output 1 you have no issues and when you switch from output 1 to output 2 you have issues? Or do you only have issues on stick 1 and not stick 2?

Do you have any issues with the cable box or switch?

Does it matter if the receiver is on or off?

Are both firesticks the same version?

Are the TVs the same resolution?

Are the firesticks set on a fixed resolution, or are they set to auto? If auto, what happens if you set them on a fixed resolution output?

nw2571

Auditioning
Real Name
Neal
I only have an issue if either fire stick is not continuously outputting to either TV. Since I can't switch them simultaneously I have to switch them 1 at a time, whichever stick I switch 2nd pauses every time.

An example, stick 1 playing on tv 1 and stick 2 playing on tv 2. I switch tv 2 to stick 1 (while it's still playing on tv1) and no issues. Stick 2 is now momentarily playing on neither tv. When I switch tv 1 to stick 2, it pauses every time.

Example 2, stick 1 playing on tv 1 and stick 2 playing on tv 2. I switch tv 1 to stick 2 (while it's still playing on tv2) and no issues. Stick 1 is now momentarily playing on neither tv. When I switch tv 2 to stick 1, it pauses every time.

The cable box doesn't do this. I haven't tried other inputs. It seems like there's something in the fire stick that causes it to naturally pause whenever it's not output to a TV, even if for only 1 second. I was hoping someone would tell me what setting if any to change to allow it to keep playing OR to confirm that another smart device like a Roku doesn't do the same thing.

nw2571

Auditioning
Real Name
Neal
I'm a bit confused by your example:

So does this mean that that whenever you switch from output 2 to output 1 you have no issues and when you switch from output 1 to output 2 you have issues? Or do you only have issues on stick 1 and not stick 2?

Do you have any issues with the cable box or switch?

Does it matter if the receiver is on or off?

Are both firesticks the same version?

Are the TVs the same resolution?

Are the firesticks set on a fixed resolution, or are they set to auto? If auto, what happens if you set them on a fixed resolution output?
- Do you have any issues with the cable box or switch?

No issues

- Does it matter if the receiver is on or off?

No

- Are both firesticks the same version?

Both are 2nd gen

- Are the TVs the same resolution?

Both are 1080

- Are the firesticks set on a fixed resolution, or are they set to auto? If auto, what happens if you set them on a fixed resolution output?

I thought maybe you were on to something so I set them both to fixed 1080p resolution and have the same issue. Even tried 720p and same issue.

It's really like somehow the FireSticks know whether they are being output to a TV or not and stop playback if they aren't. Happens across multiple apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks