about.
Did mention thats it is freakin awsome
I can go on and on but I not going to I just
made my self a tall one and am going listen to it
again.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a huge JT fan and look forward to picking this title up in the very near future...especially now that I've read your raving review!!! I saw them only once on the Heavy Horses tour and they were (and remain) the best live act I'd ever seen...and I'd seen a bunch. The energy was incredible....and the solos!!!!!
HOWEVER....the thing with Tull is, like many other acts this prolific, HOW THE HELL do they even begin to select which tracks to perform? I'm very partial to what used to be mid-period Tull (even though I've heard this period labeled I can't recall what it is)...my favorite titles include Minstrel, Too Old To Rock N Roll, Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses, Stormwatch, A, and Broadsword and the Beast. Obviously JT has many, many great tunes before and after, but these 7 titles contain most of the songs that I would love to see performed live. According to the track listing for this DVD, there are only 3 songs from this period, Jack In The Green, Protect And Survive, and Cheerio. This is nitpicking, but I can't help but be a little dissapointed by Ian's track selection for this concert and subsequent DVD. Obviously, it's an extremely tough decision for the band siince they have so much to choose from, but they often seem to skimp on the mid-period...usually the old standby's, fan favorites, and latest release get all the attention. I'll buy it and love it, but I would really love to see more tracks from these titles included next time, especially: Baker St. Muse, Quizz Kid, Pied Piper, Salamander, From A Deadbeat To An Old Greaser, Hunting Girl, Pibroch, Cup Of Wonder, Acres Wild, Heavy Horses, Moths, Dark Ages, Dun Ringill, Home, Flyingdale Flyer, Black Sunday, Beastie, Broadsword, Seal Driver, Pussywillow...hell, anything from this period would be great!!!!! Bring us more, Ian...and none of the same songs from this title...there's simply no time or room for repetition. :)

Art C

Agent
Ian coverd that in a small booklet in the case

I guess allot of people said the same thing that

he should do more than one dvd. His reply was that

he don't have the time and who would pay much more

for it. also choosing the songs was a very hard

choice.

I bet that maybe in the future we will see more.

Oh and thanks my wife is great.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
When I saw Tull last year, they did almost the whole Stand Up album. I was very surprised, but that's one of my favorite albums of all time, so I was quite pleased.

I simply cannot get into post-Stormwatch Tull. There are some solid songs, but the horrid 80s production and Ian's withering voice make it difficult to listen to. The one exception for me is the acoustic live album from '92. I've heard the other albums, but... eh.

However, Stand Up through Heavy Horses is simply stunning. I rank Anderson as one of the top songwriters of our time, along with Dylan and Mitchell.

So what's the deal with this DVD? When is the concert footage from, what's the lineup, is it a documentary or just a concert, etc?

NP: The Robert Fripp String Quartet, The Bridge Between, CD

Art C

Agent
I grabbed this from their website
www.j-tull.com
940 WORDS FROM IAN ANDERSON ON THE LIVING WITH THE PAST DVD
The various historical live recordings of Jethro Tull have been, as a rule, made for TV - as promotional freebies in return for advertising or to gain spin-off audio record sales.
To tell the truth, I never much liked the intrusion of TV cameras and their operators in my line of vision and, along with the rest of the band, resented the extra stress and hassle of performing to camera. But I guess it made the TV folks happy!
While it would have been interesting to include some of that footage here, we took the decision to leave all that old gritty, grainy stuff for another DVD release at a time in the future.
Instead, we opted for the better quality of the digital age and specially recorded a new concert at London's Hammersmith Apollo Theatre on the 25th November, 2001.
We also included lots of documentary backstage snippets, interviews and insights to the weird and wonderful world of the itinerant musos and their hard-working crew. Also included is a photo gallery of current band members.
And to bring back the original 1968 Tull line-up was an opportunity too good to miss. Mick, Glenn and Clive kindly agreed to get back together at a little venue in the midlands of England - much like the clubs where Tull began - and we invited a small group of intrepid fans to join us for the day, and to witness the disgraceful spectacle of four old guys trying to remember the chords and to tie their shoelaces.
Two of the best-known Tull acoustic numbers are featured in an intimate recording session: Wond'ring Aloud and Life Is A Long Song, both of which are bolstered by the presence of a string quartet.
The choice of songs to play in concert was not, and never will be, easy: the ever-changing rotation of older material means that, on any one tour, we stick to mostly the same songs with just a few changes here and there to keep ourselves on our toes. This tour was not the one for, by way of example, "My God", "Serenade To A Cuckoo", "Hunting Girl", "Songs From The Wood", "Heavy Horses" and a few others often to be found in our concert set. But to fit in all sixty, or so, songs frequently featured, would be impossible - not to mention the other hundred potential pieces which occasionally find their way into the live shows.
And to all those lovely enthusiastic people who say, "But why not give us a double, or even triple, DVD?" - well, I just don't have the time or inclination for such a huge project. And, I suspect you would not want to have to pay for it! No, better to do these things once in a while, when it's fun and fulfilling. Anyway you have a couple of hours' worth here for now.
To record the London concert and the other sessions, we used a Mackie Digital Hard Drive Recorder. For the techies amongst you, the recording was made at 24 bits with a sample rate of 44.1 Khz and a SMPTE frame rate of 25. The in-line extrammetors were pegged at 4000 nimrods and the video camera doppel-jaegers were ganged up to Dobbly Frequent Pulse Moderators ™. I wore Marks and Spencer stretchy u/pants (for the younger torso) and Martin sports an elbow brace by his long-standing French Couture surgical supplier, Trussem.
Now to the serious equipment credits:
Ian Anderson's Sankyo and Powell flutes were supplied by All Flutes Plus, London. The bamboo flutes were made by Patrick Olwell of VA, USA. Ian's cute little acoustic guitar was built by luthier Andrew Manson of Devon, England. It is strung with D'Addario strings. Vocal and other microphones, in-ear monitors and radio gear were by - you guessed it - Shure Bros. (the Harley Davidson of Microphony!).
Martin Barre plays expensive guitars by Fender through even more expensive Soldano Amplification and very reasonably priced, very old, Marshall Speakers. He uses GHS strings, possibly because it's easier to say than D'Addario.
Doane Perry plays Premier Drums, Paiste cymbals, with Promark sticks, beating the shit out of Remo drum heads, wreaking havoc with his DW pedals, pounding the daylights out of Latin Percussion and RythmTech accessories and packs them all away in HardCase drum cases.
Andrew Giddings gently massages Roland Keyboards, Hammond Organ Module, and a Hohner (squeezy thing) Accordion, delivered to the outside world through a Mackie mixer.
Jonathan Noyce plays Fender basses through SWR amps. His strings are D'Addario, but not because GHS wouldn't give him any.
The audio tracks were recorded and mixed with the Mackie HDR digital 24 track and the Mackie digital mixer, the D8B.
After all the above mentions, you might be forgiven for thinking that we actually get all this stuff for free. In fact, many of these noble suppliers will now want to charge us double for tarnishing their good names. Now, if only I had been a tennis player………
I could also mention that I swear by AGA oil-fired cookers, second-hand Rolex watches and Rimowa luggage, but you probably wouldn't be interested. See - I thought not. And no - Marks & Spencer don't supply me with free underpants either.
Enjoy this audio-visual treat as you watch me (and one or two others) huff, puff, sweat and strain our way through this typical Tull concert and give thanks that you are not sharing the hotel laundry facilities on our day off.
See you somewhere down the line, in the flesh and in the pink. Or, in the case of Martin if you bump in to him while out running - flush and in the park.
Ian Anderson.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 2002. Jethrotull.com. All Rights Reserved. Microsoft and MS Word are registered trademarks of the Microsoft Corporation. Adobe Acrobat © is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems Corporation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks