What's new

TCP/IP settings (1 Viewer)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
OK, I goofed my computer a little while ago. I brought my work computer home to reformat and reload and I set it up next to my home computer so I could patch it into my network and back my files up.

I was adjusting the TCP/IP settings so I could access the internet and the network on my work machine (I also had the TCP/IP settings pulled up on my home computer so I could copy some of the settings). I've got the keyboards and mice set right next to each other.
I was having no luck with the settings (both machines are set up with static IPs) so I was going to set the work machine to obtain the IP and DNS settings automatically.
But, of course, I used the wrong mouse and reset my home PC settings.
Now I can't remember how I had my settings configured on my home PC.
I have the machine setup with a static IP so I can access it with PC Anywhere. Where do I get the DNS info to set it back the way it was?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Who's your ISP? Generally, you can go to their tech support site and get the information there or just call their tech support people to give you DNS server information.

If you've lost your connection, how were you able to post this message? If it was through dial-up, just log onto your ISP, open a DOS prompt and type ipconfig /all. That will also give the primary and secondary DNS settings.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I got it. I was able to get online with no problem by just setting my machine to obtain the IP and DNS info automatically. I just couldn't remember how to find the info to set it back to manual settings. Everything I tried caused me to lose my connection.

I finally got into my router and got the info from there.

So far, so good.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
If your router is supercool like mine, you can leave your computer on dhcp and tell the router the machine's mac address and tell it to give a specific ip to that mac. Saves some typing on these occasions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks