PC A nywhere Question..

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Jul 10, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

How come when I set up the Jersey Shore computer as the Host, I can't connect to it using the cable modem? The shore computer has dialup, we have a cable modem here. I had my father sign online down there, while I tried to connect up here using the IP Address of the shore computer, my user name and password, and TCP/IP connection. It didn't work.

But if I chose Dial up as the connection for both computers, it connected flawlessly. Any ideas?

2. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    - Is the host configured to accept incoming connections over TCP/IP?
    - Is there a firewall blocking access to ports 5631 or 5632?
    - Is one of your service providers blocking ports 5631 or 5632? (normally this shouldn't happen)
    - Are you using the correct TCP/IP address as displayed by the Internet dial-up program (you might be using your computer's local address by mistake)?
    - If you have a router on the host computer, are ports 5631 and 5632 being redirected to the computer?
    - Are you using proper numeric TCP/IP addresses, or are you using the machine names?

That's all I can think of for now...

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Ahh damn, there is a Firewall on the connection that I was using. Double Dang that there's no one there to turn it on now to see if iI can connect with the cable modem..

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Be careful about opening that firewall; make very sure you have PC Anywhere set up to authenticate some way, ie password or whatever. You do not want to open up PC Anywhere to the world without password. [​IMG]

Ideally set the firewall to only allow connections from one specific address on those ports, if possible.