What's new

TCM brings back Vault Disney (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It was from the Disney Treasure MMC first week edition.
51QMBR98XXL.jpg

Walt saw the advent of color television and had reshot the cels created for the B&W MMC open in color (they were painted in color originally) ... I think when they were syndicated in the late 70s they originally used the color openings but then switched back to the B&W version later to keep the shows consistent with the B&W show content ...

IIRC it was actually shot that way. Shooting it in color was another bit of foresight on Walt's part that only proved to be so after his death when The New Mickey Mouse Club used it as their opening with a disco redo of the theme. Between them, you can also hear the difference between Cliff Edwards' Jiminy Cricket and Eddie Carroll's, as Edwards had died by that time.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I'd love to see additional episodes of the Mickey Mouse Club serials and Disneyland multipart programs that were released in incomplete versions on the Walt Disney Treasures lines - additional Hardy Boys and Spin & Marty from MM Club, and additional Elfego Baca and Swamp Fox episodes from Disneyland.

Disney, which seems to be dedicated to frustrating viewers, has released the first Hardy Boys mini-series, The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure, on DVD twice but The Mystery of the Ghost Farm has never seen the light of day. I wrote to the Disney Movie Club about this a couple of years ago but their response gave me no reason for optimism.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah. I tried everywhere I know to look and I couldn't even find a crummy taped off TV onto VHS copy. It's too bad, I loved those serials.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
March 29th is another Treasures from the Disney Vault night!

8:00pm - The Golden Touch (1935)
8:15pm - The Sword and the Rose (1953)
10:00pm - In Search of the Castaways (1962)
11:45pm - Classic Disney Shorts - Mickey's Trailer (1938) Mr. Duck Steps Out (1940)
12:15am - The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band (1968)
2:15am - The Journey of Natty Gann (1985)
4:15am - Rob Roy, the Highland Rogue (1954)
(times are Eastern)

Here's hoping that these are all new HD masters (but I won't be surprised if they are not).

No guarantees but I will try to post a reminder when it gets closer to showtime.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So i read over on bluray.com that the only way to watch the scope version of The Journey of Natty Gann in HD is at Vudu.

Hopefully thats what we'll get.
Not sure how I would tell the difference though

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So i read over on bluray.com that the only way to watch the scope version of The Journey of Natty Gann in HD is at Vudu.

Really? The iTunes version is cropped? Well that really sucks. At least with Movies Anywhere you get access to both no matter where you buy it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The post is over a yeAr old so maybe the iTunes version has been updated. I have no way to check.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Yes, they did. She's a dancer in the song "West O' The Wide Missouri". But he was only 16 then, so it wasn't until 15 years later until they actually got together.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
follow-me-boys.jpg

This morning I again watched my TiVo recorded copy of Follow Me, Boys!

I'm so glad that TCM showed this, it is so much better than any other presentation I've seen. When I was a kid, I watched it on TV. I remember watching the VHS tape in the mid-80's and finally getting to see the omitted cooking badge/cake in the lake scene that television showings always seemed to cut out. Do I recollect correctly that it was in the white clamshell case Disney used to use back then?

I bought the DVD when it first came out and was ignorantly happy to have it, but now I cannot go back to watching that mess after seeing how well it looks in the TCM presentation. This film really needs a blu-ray treatment.

Yes, it is sentimental Americana Corn, and I love it all the more for it.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Disney, which seems to be dedicated to frustrating viewers, has released the first Hardy Boys mini-series, The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure, on DVD twice but The Mystery of the Ghost Farm has never seen the light of day. I wrote to the Disney Movie Club about this a couple of years ago but their response gave me no reason for optimism.
Have you ever seen Mystery of the Ghost Farm? IMHO it's what killed the Hardy Boys series. Unlike Applegate it was slow - boooooring - and not much mystery. The only reason I could think of, would be for completion. But that's just me - others may have fond memories of it. Gotta love Dizzy.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Have you ever seen Mystery of the Ghost Farm? IMHO it's what killed the Hardy Boys series. Unlike Applegate it was slow - boooooring - and not much mystery. The only reason I could think of, would be for completion. But that's just me - others may have fond memories of it. Gotta love Dizzy.

I have no recollection of seeing it, but I have a soft spot for anything related to the Hardy Boys. 45 years ago I spent the better part of an afternoon interviewing Harriet S. Adams, the daughter of Edward Stratemeyer (creator of the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Tom Swift, the Rover Boys, and many more series books). I met her at her office in New Jersey, and every wall was lined with bookcases containing first editions of books created by the Stratemeyer Syndicate.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I have no recollection of seeing it, but I have a soft spot for anything related to the Hardy Boys. 45 years ago I spent the better part of an afternoon interviewing Harriet S. Adams, the daughter of Edward Stratemeyer (creator of the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Tom Swift, the Rover Boys, and many more series books). I met her at her office in New Jersey, and every wall was lined with bookcases containing first editions of books created by the Stratemeyer Syndicate.

Sounds like a day to remember for sure.
I watched Ghost Farm a few years ago and it really is pretty bad and I really liked and own Applegate.

There was a TV pilot for a series in the 70's and I have been looking for that for some time but no luck on that (I suppose it would help if I could find a name or date. Duh!)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Really? The iTunes version is cropped? Well that really sucks. At least with Movies Anywhere you get access to both no matter where you buy it.

The post is over a yeAr old so maybe the iTunes version has been updated. I have no way to check.
I can now say definitively that all the streaming versions have the correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
March 29th is another Treasures from the Disney Vault night!

8:00pm - The Golden Touch (1935)
8:15pm - The Sword and the Rose (1953)
10:00pm - In Search of the Castaways (1962)
11:45pm - Classic Disney Shorts - Mickey's Trailer (1938) Mr. Duck Steps Out (1940)
12:15am - The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band (1968)
2:15am - The Journey of Natty Gann (1985)
4:15am - Rob Roy, the Highland Rogue (1954)
(times are Eastern)

Here's hoping that these are all new HD masters (but I won't be surprised if they are not).

No guarantees but I will try to post a reminder when it gets closer to showtime.

My current TCM Disney Vault schedule looks a bit different from this (on my local Spectrum Cable guide). I wonder if mine is wrong...or if it's been changed. For one thing, I don't see The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band. Or, The Sword and the Rose.

The more I look at it though, I think my local listings are just screwed up.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I'm a Rectum...er, excuse me Spectrum viewer as well and the Disney Vault schedule is incorrect. Same as TCM's new Saturday morning schedule of features, serials, shorts and cartoons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks