1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TCM brings back Vault Disney

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by SilverWook, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Mark:

Thank you for the heads up on the availability the 93-minute theatrical version!

2. Rodney

Rodney Cinematographer
    Supporter

I remember how excited I was when Disney released Follow Me, Boys! on DVD back in 2004, and I happily watched the DVD over and over, marveling how much better it looked than the old VHS I had. I just re-watched the TCM version, and then did a quick look back at the DVD. I cannot believe the difference and how much information was cut out on the MAR DVD release, which I had incorrectly assumed all these many years to be an open-matte.

I hope that we get a blu-ray release, but I won't hold my breath now that we live in the age of streaming.

Doug Wallen, Darby67 and Mike Frezon like this.
  3. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I believe it was originally presented at 1.37:1 so I doubt that we'll see much difference, unless it is in HD.

It's tough to be a completist when so much of Disney's library has yet to be released on DVD or Blu-ray. We all want to see Song of the South, but Disney's indifference to much of the material in their vault is perplexing. For example, the first part of Disney's Hardy Boys shows, The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure, has been released twice on DVD, but the second part, The Mystery of the Ghost Farm, hasn't been released at all. Go figure.

Darby67 and ChrisALM like this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    And I'd pay good money for that (and the additional parts of Spin & Marty as well) - I loved Applegate Treasure and have been dying to see more of it since the Treasures DVD, along with the sinking feeling that I probably never will. I tried everything from YouTube to torrent sites and international sellers and no one had even a bootleg copy that I could find. Major bummer.

Darby67 and Richard Gallagher like this.
  5. Rodney

Rodney Cinematographer
    Supporter

6. Garysb

Garysb Producer

Here is the detail description of the next Vault Disney on TCM. December 20, 2017

8:00 PM
    BRAVE LITTLE TAILOR ( 1938)

A giant threatens the land and the city folk force Mickey Mouse to fight the giant.
    C- 9 mins, CC,

8:15 PM
    STORY OF ROBIN HOOD, THE ( 1952)

A young Robin Hood bands together a group of men to avenge his father¿s death and help the oppressed people of the land.
    Dir: Ken Annakin Cast: Richard Todd , Joan Rice , Peter Finch .
    C- 84 mins, CC,

9:45 PM
    SIGN OF ZORRO, THE ( 1958)

Don Diego dons the mask of Zorro to free the town from the tyrannical rule of a dictator.
    Dir: Norman Foster Cast: Guy Williams , Henry Calvin , Gene Sheldon .
    BW- 90 mins, CC,

11:30 PM
    TOBY TYLER ( 1960)

Orphan Toby Tyler runs away and joins a traveling circus.
    Dir: Charles Barton Cast: Kevin Corcoran , Henry Calvin , Gene Sheldon .
    C- 96 mins, CC,

1:15 AM
    WALT DISNEY'S WONDERFUL WORLD OF COLOR: TRICKS OF OUR TRADE ( 1957)

A behind-the-scenes look at the improvements in cartoon animation hosted by Walt Disney.
    BW- 53 mins, CC,

2:15 AM
    PETE'S DRAGON ( 1977)

A boy leaves his abusive foster family and becomes friends with a dragon.
    Dir: Don Chaffey Cast: Helen Reddy , Jim Dale , Mickey Rooney .
    C- 129 mins, CC,

4:30 AM
    FUZZBUCKET ( 1986)

An invisible creature becomes friends with a 12-year-old boy and helps him get out of trouble from time to time.
    Dir: Mick Garris Cast: Chris Hebert , Phil Fondacaro , Joe Regalbuto .
    C- 46 mins, CC,

Darby67 and MatthewA like this.
  7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Thanks for the detailed list. I haven't seen Toby Tyler in a long time and will certainly be DVRing it.

Darby67 likes this.
  8. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Just once...really, just once...I'd love for this to be scheduled on a weekend. These overnight marathons don't work with, well, work. And we don't have a DVR in the house. The better half has thought about it and we do have a Tivo sitting in the closet. so that's an option, I guess. I doubt the movies are going to on demand, but I can check that.

I have such good memories of Fuzzbucket. It was one of my sister's favorites growing up (along with Perfect Harmony and Mr. Boogedy). I got her the physical copy for Christmas a few years ago.

9. Message #129 of 214 Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Perfect Harmony is one I remember well. I never forget anything where Peter Scolari takes his shirt off. :D It's actually interesting that they are now including post-1984 titles in the mix if Fuzzbucket is the first. And speaking of a different Pete(r), it's nice to see Pete's Dragon making its TCM for its 40th anniversary along with Toby Tyler which is a nice little film.* Well, at least one of them is on Blu-ray in a version that's not shorter than any version that's ever been available to own before despite not being technically uncut.** Be nice if the other was, too. Also glad to see Disney's first take on the Robin Hood story get some attention.

Hey, I had a fantastic idea: Wouldn't be nice if Disney actually had a TV channel that played all these old Disney shows and movies? As I heard tell, they used to.

*The pairing of those movies has less to do with Helen Reddy's circus song about scary clowns, one that predated ICP by two decades, but more to do with the fact that the late Kevin Corcoran was almost the original Pete! It was a treatment the studio bought the rights to in the 1940s and came close to doing it for Disneyland TV show in the 1950s in a form much different than either of the ones we got. Kevin aged out of it but had become a producer by that time; he was erroneously credited in some of his obituaries as having produced it but the actual co-producer, Jerome Courtland, produced him in Old Yeller. Even so, the anthology series was where the only new Disney hybrids were in the 1950s, and this was largely as wraparounds for cartoons.
    **Some have claimed to see it longer than 128 minutes on HBO in the pre-Disney Channel days. I wasn't born and have not been lucky enough to get in touch with anyone who taped it there and still has the tape. Meanwhile, TCM showed Bedknobs and Broomsticks in the 2000s but showed the version that was cut down to two hours. Whose call was that, Disney or TCM? I lean towards the latter since I'd seen both long and short versions aired on Encore a couple years before that.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    In pretty sure I’ve mentioned this before, you can beat him anything they air in any specific month in their website or their app.

11. Message #131 of 214 Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Rodney

Rodney Cinematographer
    Supporter

The pairing of Toby Tyler and Pete's Dragon also makes sense as "Moochie" worked on both pictures, one in front of and one behind the camera.

** Oh, I see you say that he was erroneously listed as producer in some places, but wasn't he doing second director work at that time?

Darby67 likes this.
  12. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I looked at their app last night. It is apparently not compatible with Apple TV. I can get it on my phone, but then I'd have to screen share or watch on my phone. If they ever get that fixed, I'll be all set.

Hehe, yeah. I was always more of a Justin Whalin kind of guy, but I get it. They used to run a good number of fairly entertaining movies on The Disney Channel and the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights. Fuzzbucket, Mr. Boogedy, Perfect Harmony, Spaced Invaders...some good times there.

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I go to the website and chromecast the tab to my tv but yeah you have to have a chromecast device to do it.

14. Garysb

Garysb Producer

Watch TCM is currently available on Amazon Fire and is soon to be available on ROKU supposedly. You need to be a cable subscriber with TCM to activate it. It shows movies from TCM on demand but does not stream the channel live.

Darby67 likes this.
  15. Message #135 of 214 Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    He wasn't in the credits of the latter, though his first Disney crew credit is 1976's Treasure of Matecumbe. In 1978 he did work on two films with people who were involved in it: Return from Witch Mountain, which also had a screenplay by Malcolm Marmorstein, and Hot Lead and Cold Feet, in which Jim Dale played a triple role and for which Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn wrote the theme song*, and having Don Knotts in it linked it to WB's 1964 hybrid The Incredible Mr. Limpet.** He didn't get caught up in the WB/Disney Oscar rivalry that year because he already won more Emmys for The Andy Griffith Show than Andy Griffith.

*If Fox becomes Disney's br'er, that puts The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno into the same corporate empire.
    **New animation at WB in 1977 consisted of linking segments from two of the three Bugs Bunny specials that aired on prime time TV that year. Since it was little different in theory than what Disney did with the first three Winnie the Pooh shorts that same year, or what Disney had been doing with its shorts all along for the anthology series or The Mouse Factory, two years later WB used it to bring their characters back to theaters, and eventually this practice yielded five features.

Darby67 and Rodney like this.
  16. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, Andy Griffith never won an Emmy for any of his TV series or TV-movie work.

17. Rodney

Rodney Cinematographer
    Supporter

RODNEY REMINDER: Vault Disney is tomorrow night!

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

"This 'Rodney Reminder' is a public service sponsored by...Rodney."

Thanks, dude! :D

Josh Steinberg and Darby67 like this.
  19. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    In case anybody was wondering about last night's installment, you didn't miss anything. The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men and The Sign of Zorro were the same old standard definition masters from the DVDs. Even worse they showed the open-matte Toby Tyler (probably SD as well) rather the the HD widescreen master that is available on iTunes.

MatthewA and Darby67 like this.
  20. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I looked at a bit of Robin Hood and didn't think it looked very good.

Darby67 likes this.