What's new

TÁR (2022) 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
OK, we don't have to wonder what all the talk about Cate Blanchett giving the performance of a lifetime is about, because virtually no one bothered to see this theatrically. Universal has released a 4K UHD (it also comes with a blu-ray version) and I watched it this evening. It's one film I really wish was filmed with old school 35 mm film; even though it was filmed in 4K and 6.5K with an Arri Alexa 65, with the digital intermediate at 4K, it still looked digital. And for a film taking place in the realm of classical music, it would have somehow been appropriate to have a kind of "analogue appearance". They even talk about the disappointment of doing a digital recording for Deutsche Grammophon, instead of analogue, at one point!

But that's nerdy talk and doesn't detract from the stunning performances, it's entirely engrossing for over two and a half hours. When the orchestra finally kicks in at 59 minutes, you'll be blown out of your seat, if you have a good sound system in your home theatre. The musical segments are thrilling - I wish they could have been longer. It doesn't matter if you aren't absolutely au fait with your Mahler or Jacqueline du Pré - the story and astonishing artistry of Cate Blanchett (as well as the other performers) will grip you.

I haven't seen any better film than this at the movies this year.

IMG_1257.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks