What's new

Pre-Order Tammy and the Bachelor (1957) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
219289_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Who lighted the fire under Universal? We have four labels releasing their product. Universal, Kino, Twilight Time, and Criterion are releasing the Universal/Paramount titles. I’m estatic about the possibilities to come.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Who lighted the fire under Universal? We have four labels releasing their product. Universal, Kino, Twilight Time, and Criterion are releasing the Universal/Paramount titles. I’m estatic about the possibilities to come.
Yeah, is there a sign in Universal's window that says "Under New Management"? All these classic gems are just popping up out of nowhere!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think that to wait for some reviews & comments before buying is good advice for any catalogue release, but when it's something you really want, it's easier said than done.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Has anybody seen this Blu-ray yet? It's one I've been wondering about for a while, and I haven't come across a review yet.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Not much of anything I can find. As with many of the Universal version of MOD, they have had mixed reviews unlike most of Sony and WAC versions.

I did find a review from what appears to be huge Debbie Reynolds fan -- loves DR (and everything), dislikes Sandy Dee in the sequels, is thoroughly unimpressed with Nielson and thinks they wasted most of the rest of teh cast, and doesn't appear to be a fan a Universal's handling of the back catalog (some of his comments I agree with, some I don;t)
http://nixpixdvdmoviereviewsandmore.blogspot.com/2018/11/tammy-and-bachelor-blu-ray-universal.html

"The results, predictably, remain par for the course of Universal’s commitment to the classics, and, substandard to current quality control efforts being exuded elsewhere in 1080p. Tammy and the Bachelor was photographed in Technicolor and mercifully, for most of its run time, its dye transfer sustains Technicolor’s superior and resilient palette. Flesh tones are waaaay too pink and there is intermittent color fading on full display. The stock footage and matte process shots look awful, with a lot of edge enhancement, composite grit and dirt, and amplified grain. Otherwise, contrast here is pretty solid. The image is brightly lit and yields to a considerable amount of fine detail, particularly in close-ups. Age-related damage is most obvious during screen dissolves and fades, and minor gate weave also exists. The audio is 2.0 mono DTS, but very thin – especially Reynolds’ rendition of ‘Tammy’ – the orchestral accompaniment fading in and out. As with Uni’s current home video policy, we get NO extras – a genuine pity. "

The bits I have skimmed so far seem to give the reviewer some credit for honesty. It's OK, but a thoroughly un-spectacular release in any sense. OTOH, it beats what it replaced and worth the $9-10 I paid for it during the Christmas sales. I say this without any knowledge of what Universal had to work with -- it could be a spectacular rescue and best it could possibly be or a total softball that could have been 10x better with even a little effort -- if I had to guess it's probably somewhere in the middle though Mr Harris likely could address how much work it would take to improve an item that isn't likely to sell much more than the initial pressing

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
A lot of the in-release Universal MOD items are 17+ at Deep Discount adn the Valentine 15% off code is working. So 14.50+
These were $13-15 precode in early January and 10-12 at BN pre Christmas, so not quite as good, but still better than at most sites.

DD FS is still $25 after discounts and the site appears to be adding sales tax in all states that have such.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the Blu-ray today, and I thought it looked very, very good. True, the opticals are very weak, and some of the rear screen projection work looks noticeably soft, but these things are almost always problems in these 1950s Cinemascope movies.

Yes, it's a BD-MOD with no menu. Put in the disc and it just starts. Sound is DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono, but it's solid and sounds strong.

Enjoyed my afternoon with Debbie and company very much.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's a BD-MOD with no menu. Put in the disc and it just starts. Sound is DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono, but it's solid and sounds strong.

Pardon my ignorance but how can you tell it's a MOD and not a pressed disc. I assumed it was pressed since it did not have that purplish cast that MOD discs have or are blu ray MODs different thant DVD MODs in that respect?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Pardon my ignorance but how can you tell it's a MOD and not a pressed disc. I assumed it was pressed since it did not have that purplish cast that MOD discs have or are blu ray MODs different thant DVD MODs in that respect?
COme to think of it, my Sony player might have identified it as BD-ROM rather than BD-MOD. It went by so fast I probably misread it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks