What's new

Talk to me about phasing (1 Viewer)

I'm setting up my sub, and presently have both the receiver and sub set on reverse. I thought it sounded better. Is this a bad idea? I'm not sure of the phasing of my speakers, but I do have the + terminals hooked into the + terminals of the speakers (and vice-versa for the -). So I assume they are phased normal. Advice please?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Josh,

Not sure what you mean by “reverse” – I only use that in my car. :D

I'm not sure of the phasing of my speakers, but I do have the + terminals hooked into the + terminals of the speakers (and vice-versa for the -). So I assume they are phased normal. Advice please?
You’re confusing phase with polarity. Phase has to do with time alignment (although reversing polarity of one of the mains will result in it being 180 degrees out of phase with the speakers).

Electronic crossovers can induce phase problems, which is why most have a switch on them (however, a continuously variable control is much better).

The easiest way to know you have the phase set correctly (or in the case of a switch, as good as you can get it) is to play a sine-wave test tone at or near the crossover frequency, with both the mains and sub on. The correct setting is the one that results in the loudest tone.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John S

Senior HTF Member
There is some fairly intense theory on that little phase switch on your sub, but in the end, you are supposed to set it, for best sound output.

David Judah

Screenwriter
If you get a test disc like Avia, it will have an accurate way to determine the proper phase setting on your sub, plus for setting up and calibrating the rest of the audio & video equipment in your system.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks