What's new

International Tales of Hoffman: Trailer (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
My copy is en route, but unless you opt for amazon's insane two-day overseas shipping, which costs about double the disc cost, even choosing expedited (the middle option, not the slowest option) it still is taking longer and longer these days.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I will never use their "Expedited" again. The standard International post is usually 5 to 10 working days for me to NZ. I had one hiccup with the two Network titles, Young and Innocent and Thief of Bagdad which went awol. They sent replacement discs without question.

I ordered the Godard Adieu au Langage by expedited late last year because I specifically wanted to screen it for some visitors who were here for only a short time (I have a 3D PJ setup.) The damn thing didn't take two or three days it took TEN. It would have been here in half the time for the usual 3 quid 50 pence, rather than the 25 quid (NZD52!!!). My visitors missed the chance to see it.

Alas my Hoffmann didn't make this week's mail but will be here now Monday or Tuesday. (We still have the luxury of Saturday post in this country. But not for much longer.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Tales of Hoffmann new Blu ray from Studio Canal, Region B locked.

Here are the cuts as Michael Powell named them:

Prologue: The Kleinzach Cut, 2 minutes 30 seconds, footage still missing.

Olympia Act: The Cockerel Cut, 2 minutes 54 seconds, footage still missing.

Giulietta and Antonia acts are complete.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
I was leaving the comments on the 4K up to the insiders who always have very strong opinions.

The new disc is beautiful and immaculate. Detail is exceptional and the color values are very close to the IBs I am familiar with. The audio is also fine. There are some odd choices for chapter stops, but that is a minor quibble. Too bad they did not dig a little deeper to locate the missing footage, or at least ask collectors who could have helped. I thoroughly enjoyed the appendix showing the singers/actors through Copelius's magic spectacles. David, you are in for a treat.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Cannot wait, and this is a year of cannot waits! I can see from the Rialto HD trailer that Persian Turquoise for Ludmilla's costume and Bobby's weird face makeup is right back there!! No more that hideous electric lime green from the Criterion/Canal DVD.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Many thanks for your new information Anthony!

I´m still curious about the Kleinzach Cut - did Rounseville appear onscreen in the Kleinzach costume?

Perhaps P & P had the idea to use the story of Kleinzach & the Lady with the Mirror to hint at Hoffmann´s tragic relationships with women. Just a guess.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Your guess is correct. When Kleinzach looks up from the floor after Hoffmann's line: "Resounding through my heart" it is Hoffmann in the jester's garb. The cut begins there, continues with another verse of the Kleinzach ballad, and the bringing in of the punch bowl.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
WOW!!!!!

This had me by the pit of the stomach from the opening Archers credits. By the time the three minutes of curtain calls came I was in tears.

Incredibly beautiful restoration, as the French say, better, quelle beau travail.

This is turning into a hell of a year for collectors.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mine arrived here in beautiful downtown Woodend, Australia, just half an hour ago.

It's going to be at least four hours until my viewing room is dark enough .. but I believe already that wonder lies in store!

Strangely, Amazon UK shipped it by itself as part of a joint order of 'Tales of Hoffmann' and 'Paddington' .. but there's no doubt which one would have been up for first viewing if they had arrived together.....

Next up from Amazon.co.uk is a cult US comic-drama classic, 'Midnight Run'. What a contrast!

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Pour a very large glass of something red (an turquoise and blue and purple and yellow .. and then forget about drinking it. You wont be able to move your hands from your head with shock!

The experience is completely intoxicating, just as it was back in 1982 for me. Like Opium and Cocteau. Together.

I now have blockout curtains and was able to more or less light block the room this morning. I am now finding the lamp at around 1000 hours needs 30 minutes to really light up, how about you?

I noted and wrote elsewhere the additional arias to the Antonia episode really lighten it and give it breathing space which it really badly needed. It now plays well yet it always felt like the deadly dull end of the family visit previously. No longer And of course those segues into screeching distropia. (As conducted by Sir Thom and the RPO.)

The curtain calls will have you on the floor gasping for breath. keep the Ventolin handy kiddo.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I just got my copy. I am going to prolong the torture until the weekend when I can indulge in it fully

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I cannot believe he's found it wanting. Anyway I don't think Bruce does "Eckie".

Honestly I can't find anything in it that isn't up to the highest restoration standard.

Bruce?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks