What's new

Tablet computer for theater control (1 Viewer)

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone out there currently using or planning on using one of the newer tablet based computers for controlling their theaters? I have been thinking about using one for all of my theater control in lieu of say a Pronto remote or other universal programmable remote. As always any information and help is appreciated.
Why make it ugly just because you can?

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Bob,

I've been very interested in these devices for awhile now. I didn't know any were on the market, or nearing the market yet. What ones are you talking about?

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to visit this link over at the AVSForum. A bunch of the members are currently working on getting a Fujitsu 510 touchscreen tablet computer to work as a fully functional remote.
If you don't want to sift through the long post, just do a search for "Fujitsu 510" and you'll come up with more info than you probably want to look at.

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at a number of models actually. The Qbe, Viewsonic ViewPad, and some of the industrial Fujitsu models are among them. What I have been working on is a control system that works using these machines wireless network connections to control lighting, media play functions, lighting control, as well as standard computer functions. I'm thinking that I could buy one of these units at around $1600 and build an extremely versitle home media control system around it. I will actually take the time to sift through that whole thread on the AVSforum too and get back to you.

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
If you're looking to spend under $1600 for such a system, you might be very pleasantly surprised when you read through the posts on AVSForum. Currently, you can get one of the units I spoke about for about $130-150, depending upon condition. Add to that the minimal cost for wireless network hardware and what little software that might have to be purchased to accomplish the task, and your talking less than $200-300.

I'm waiting on the back burner until Phat Phreddy and others get the sticky stuff ironed out (I'm not a programmer or big computer hardware guru), but will jump on the bandwagon very quickly when all the R&D is finished.

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I just got done looking over the specs for the 510 and the only thing I see as any kind of a problem is that it is not going to be able to support some of the voice recognition applications I want. That said, it is a nice unit and I can easily see one being used for the home theater control application. Also, if someone is Linux head they could really get the unit to shine in that application. What I think I am going to do is buy one or two of the 510's and see what I can put together for a VB control scheme and wait and see on the other tablet based units. Thanks for all the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks