What's new

T.J. Hooker Complete Series coming in July! (1 Viewer)

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
My DVD and blu-ray both upscale. I know it isn't true HD, but Charlie's Angels looks pretty doggone good on my 55" LED LG.

That may be great for those who saw the show in the 80's on CRT tv's. The DVD's are probably stunning compared to the original broadcasts.

Unfortunately for me, I first saw the show on Universal HD. All I'd be doing watching these DVD's is saying "I wish this was in HD". First impressions do matter.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
That may be great for those who saw the show in the 80's on CRT tv's. The DVD's are probably stunning compared to the original broadcasts.

Unfortunately for me, I first saw the show on Universal HD. All I'd be doing watching these DVD's is saying "I wish this was in HD". First impressions do matter.
I actually did watch it on Universal HD; maybe I'm going blind!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Shout! will fix the (minor) error at the end of season one/beginning of season two. The wrong opening is used on the first episode without April Clough, and I'm also thinking a Locklear/S2 opening was used on one of the six Clough episodes.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Good to hear about this but like some have already mentioned, we're down the rabbit hole and well into the era where HD and Blu-ray should be the standard, rather than retrofitted DVD releases. If an HD image exists, it ought to be ported over to Blu-ray. Love my Miami Vice, Quantum Leap and Knight Rider seasons in HD and not really interested in T.J. Hooker ONLY on DVD. Also, sure wish SHOUT! would get access to a few other MIA shows from the 80s and 90s: my vote is for ST. ELSEWHERE, and PICKET FENCES!!!! Would also be nice to see Empty Nest, 227, Amen, and, Newhart come out as complete series. Pretty please, Shout!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Good to hear about this but like some have already mentioned, we're down the rabbit hole and well into the era where HD and Blu-ray should be the standard, rather than retrofitted DVD releases. If an HD image exists, it ought to be ported over to Blu-ray. Love my Miami Vice, Quantum Leap and Knight Rider seasons in HD and not really interested in T.J. Hooker ONLY on DVD. Also, sure wish SHOUT! would get access to a few other MIA shows from the 80s and 90s: my vote is for ST. ELSEWHERE, and PICKET FENCES!!!! Would also be nice to see Empty Nest, 227, Amen, and, Newhart come out as complete series. Pretty please, Shout!
Even worse is the annoying trend of Networks releasing seasons of current TV shows on DVD only, especially those that had previous seasons issued to Blu-ray. NOBODY wants to downgrade to DVD for a given television program once they've dipped into the Blu-ray pool! It's no wonder some consumers are getting fed up with physical media options, or rather, the lack thereof.

That said, I can deal with older programs that are released to DVD only, provided the visual and audio quality are at least decent, probably for the reasons revgen noted in a previous post. The sad reality is, for whatever reason/s, TV seems to get the short end of the technological stick when it comes to physical media releases, which sadly includes current programming that's clearly geared for HD presentation!

CHEERS! :)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd love to see these shows on Blu in HD, too, but there's just no market there.

I mean, when hit modern shows like Modern Family are abandoned on Blu, and movies like Philadelphia and Sleepless in Seattle are released in limited edition 3,000 copy print runs and don't sell out for three years, what hope does TJ Hooker have of making a profit for anyone on Blu?

Even the Universal shows like Quantum Leap were farmed out to Mill Creek, which is just a step above public domain or VEI.

TV is the bastard child no one cares about. Not the studios, not the average consumer. And the few of us who do care just aren't a big enough audience.

It's taken 12 years to finally get a show like TJ Hooker completed on DVD, so I'm not going to turn my nose up and say "But HD!". Yeah, HD Masters may exist, but so could Bigfoot... but he's not coming out of hiding, either.

Last edited:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
It's taken 12 years to finally get a show like TJ Hooker completed on DVD, so I'm not going to turn my nose up and say "But HD!". Yeah, HD Masters may exist, but so could Bigfoot... but he's not coming out of hiding, either.

This.

With respect to the HD/Blu purists who apparently can't fathom lowering themselves to watch something on <gasp> DVD, this show didn't sell enough to continue 12 years ago when the market was healthier. So if at long last someone is willing to go ahead and put the whole thing out after all this time, I hope it will be unedited but beyond that I don't particularly care if it's released on Blu-ray or DVD or View-Master. (Okay, maybe not the latter...) Yes, I think a Blu-ray edition would be nice. However, many current shows with much greater sales potential don't get Blu-rays; so I think it's unrealistic to expect an 80s show that wasn't a sci-fi cult classic to get the Blu-ray treatment.

So if this upcoming DVD release (there I go saying the D-word again; shame on me...) doesn't look quite as perfect as it might look if it were a Blu release, I'm sure the show will still look better on DVD than I ever saw it when watching back in the 80s. And when the awfulness of streaming and watching everything on phones threatens to obliterate the disc market, at this point I'm happy companies are even bothering to put shows like this out on DVD.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
TV is the bastard child no one cares about. Not the studios, not the average consumer. And the few of us who do care just aren't a big enough audience.

The studios care enough to create HD masters. So I'll have to disagree with that assertion.

Also, if the average consumer doesn't care about TV shows, then why release a DVD? If it's the enthusiast who only cares about buying a complete TV series, then why not release it on the format that enthusiasts tend to prefer? This is why Twilight Time hasn't released a DVD since their first year of operation. Ditto with Criterion since 2008.

How much more expensive would it be to release a Blu-Ray set instead of a DVD set? Blu-Ray has been around for over 10 years, so I can't imagine the cost of manufacturing or production would be that much more expensive than DVD. Hence why Mill Creek is pumping out complete series on Blu-Ray for 50 bucks a pop.

I'm convinced that certain copyright holders are asking for an arm and a leg for Blu-Ray rights. It works for Twilight Time releases (30 bucks each), but it may be cost prohibitive for a TV series.

I remember 2 years ago, Bob Furmanek of the 3-D Film Archive was telling us that the possibility of restoring Paramount's 3-D library was impossible since Paramount was asking for $35,000 to license each 3-D film. That changed last year when Kino Lorber was able to convince Paramount to agree to a more financially sensible arrangement. Sadly, studios are often out of touch with the marketplace.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Even worse is the annoying trend of Networks releasing seasons of current TV shows on DVD only, especially those that had previous seasons issued to Blu-ray. NOBODY wants to downgrade to DVD for a given television program once they've dipped into the Blu-ray pool! It's no wonder some consumers are getting fed up with physical media options, or rather, the lack thereof.

It's not only current shows that have had format changes mid-run-- remember when Little House on the Prairie had a format change to DVD only with the seventh-season release (1980-81)?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The studios care enough to create HD masters. So I'll have to disagree with that assertion.

Also, if the average consumer doesn't care about TV shows, then why release a DVD?

Well, the average consumer cares about some TV shows, but not enough to buy blu-ray. Apparently, enough of the DVDs were selling, but not enough of the blu-rays, otherwise why would the studios drop the BD format? You need to remember, that we 'enthusiasts' care more about higher resolution than the average Walmart shopper. Most non-enthusiasts I've spoken with are of the feeling that DVD is "good enough" and most of them don't even notice the difference in picture quality. These are, after all, the same kinds of people who are okay with stretching their SD 4:3 cable/satellite feeds to fill up the screen.

I know people who will buy the DVD version of something, even if the price difference is only, say $5.00. Again, they think DVD is good enough, and they also think that it's 'more compatible' (will also play in their old DVD-only players, the car, the laptop, etc).

If it's the enthusiast who only cares about buying a complete TV series, then why not release it on the format that enthusiasts tend to prefer? This is why Twilight Time hasn't released a DVD since their first year of operation. Ditto with Criterion since 2008.

They're dropping blu-ray for stuff they're trying to sell to the average consumer. Things that they know enthusiasts will buy enough copies of (like sci-fi and comic book show) are still getting the BD treatment.

How much more expensive would it be to release a Blu-Ray set instead of a DVD set? Blu-Ray has been around for over 10 years, so I can't imagine the cost of manufacturing or production would be that much more expensive than DVD. Hence why Mill Creek is pumping out complete series on Blu-Ray for 50 bucks a pop.

I don't think it's to do with cost as much as with how the general public buys things. DVD was a massive upgrade from VHS, but to them, Blu-ray isn't enough of an upgrade for them to bother with. Now, if the studios would be brave enough to have a "blu-ray only" policy, they could see if people would follow them to buy into high-def releases, but I think the fear is that those people would just not buy at all. Far safer (from a studio perspective) to release only on the most popular format. We had this very same thing back in the days of VHS and laser.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

It's not only current shows that have had format changes mid-run-- remember when Little House on the Prairie had a format change to DVD only with the seventh-season release (1980-81)?
I also had those very LHotP in mind as I was entering my previous post. The backlash Lionsgate experienced over the Season 7 switch to DVD from Blu-ray backs up my nobody wants to downgrade statement. Lionsgate did eventually relent and ultimately did release Seasons 7-9 on Blu-ray, albeit in a more bare bones fashion. I've personally not purchased any of these, as Season 4 on Amazon Canada was priced ridiculously high, and I tend to be all or none with such purchases. I really wish that Lionsgate would release the entire series on Blu-ray, and at a reasonable price, especially as I fear that I'll eventually have to knuckle under to my wife's periodic requests to get the Complete Series DVD set (She can't tell the difference, but I can, unfortunately!), instead! If I know a given series is available on Blu-ray, that's how I want it!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Well, the average consumer cares about some TV shows, but not enough to buy blu-ray. Apparently, enough of the DVDs were selling, but not enough of the blu-rays, otherwise why would the studios drop the BD format? You need to remember, that we 'enthusiasts' care more about higher resolution than the average Walmart shopper. Most non-enthusiasts I've spoken with are of the feeling that DVD is "good enough" and most of them don't even notice the difference in picture quality. These are, after all, the same kinds of people who are okay with stretching their SD 4:3 cable/satellite feeds to fill up the screen.

I know people who will buy the DVD version of something, even if the price difference is only, say $5.00. Again, they think DVD is good enough, and they also think that it's 'more compatible' (will also play in their old DVD-only players, the car, the laptop, etc).

They're dropping blu-ray for stuff they're trying to sell to the average consumer. Things that they know enthusiasts will buy enough copies of (like sci-fi and comic book show) are still getting the BD treatment.

I don't think it's to do with cost as much as with how the general public buys things. DVD was a massive upgrade from VHS, but to them, Blu-ray isn't enough of an upgrade for them to bother with. Now, if the studios would be brave enough to have a "blu-ray only" policy, they could see if people would follow them to buy into high-def releases, but I think the fear is that those people would just not buy at all. Far safer (from a studio perspective) to release only on the most popular format. We had this very same thing back in the days of VHS and laser.

Then your argument is contrary to what The Obselete Man stated earlier. You believe the average consumer does want to buy this show, and Shout is specifically targeting that market instead of the enthusiast sector. A DVD release would make sense if that's the case.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree that no one wants to downgrade.

Bones and Modern Family are two Series I'd pick up on Blu, if Fox hadn't abandoned them four years ago.

Usually, unless it's a limited series, like FX's OJ miniseries, or already complete, I find most recent TV on Blu to be a crapshoot.

I do have a bit more faith in WB shows, though, because the Archives are there to pick up the slack. But with Fox? Wait for the complete series release.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Then your argument is contrary to what The Obselete Man stated earlier. You believe the average consumer does want to buy this show, and Shout is specifically targeting that market instead of the enthusiast sector. A DVD release would make sense if that's the case.

Oh Reginald... I DISAGREE *speeds off*

Shout IS targeting the niche audience with these releases. TJ Hooker didn't make it at retail in the days when Wal-Mart and Best Buy carried everything under the sun, which is why Sony never released season 3. Now, Shout has the show, and the release is being targeted at the hardcore collector, the kind who has TVShowsonDVD.com bookmarked and frequent forums like this. These releases will probably never see a retail store, but they're there on Amazon for fans to stumble across and the dedicated TV on DVD fan to pick up on day 1. But the average Wal-Mart consumer will never know they exist, or probably care.

IMO, of course.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My wife has actually told me to NOT buy her WE BOUGHT A ZOO (2011) on Blu-ray, as she wants to have the option of playing it on HER own DVD player, which she also won't let me replace with a Blu-ray device! :rolleyes:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Now, if the studios would be brave enough to have a "blu-ray only" policy, they could see if people would follow them to buy into high-def releases, but I think the fear is that those people would just not buy at all. Far safer (from a studio perspective) to release only on the most popular format.

I don't know if there's any hard evidence/data to prove this, but this might suggest there's still a significant hardcore faction who have not purchase a bluray player. Basically hardcore holdouts who absolutely refuse to move onto bluray, for whatever reasons.

Perhaps Shout Factory believes this "hardcore no-bluray faction" is large enough to significantly affect sales for titles like TJ Hooker, etc ... even where HD transfers exist.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For what it's worth, Blu-rays are still more expensive to make than DVDs at every step of the way - the encoding of the video assets and authoring of the discs cost more, the replication costs more, the cases cost more, and there are fewer Blu-ray replication lines than DVD replication lines, so the wait is also longer.

I would imagine that Shout has done enough market research and kept enough of an eye on their sales to know what the splits are for DVD vs BD sales in the niches they occupy. If they thought they could have a more profitable release on BD than on DVD, I'm sure they would have done it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Oh Reginald... I DISAGREE *speeds off*

Shout IS targeting the niche audience with these releases. TJ Hooker didn't make it at retail in the days when Wal-Mart and Best Buy carried everything under the sun, which is why Sony never released season 3. Now, Shout has the show, and the release is being targeted at the hardcore collector, the kind who has TVShowsonDVD.com bookmarked and frequent forums like this. These releases will probably never see a retail store, but they're there on Amazon for fans to stumble across and the dedicated TV on DVD fan to pick up on day 1. But the average Wal-Mart consumer will never know they exist, or probably care.

IMO, of course.

(This is strictly anecdotal).

At the nearby Wallyworlds, I usually don't see many new Shout Factory tv season sets on the shelves. Not even on the first week of release.

The Shout Factory tv season sets which I do see relatively often at nearby Wallyworlds, is typically older stuff which is either "evergreen" or they have been collecting dust for awhile. In recent times, it is stuff like: the four WKRP season sets, The Bob Newhart Show complete series, Welcome Back Kotter complete series, etc ...

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
(This is strictly anecdotal).

At the nearby Wallyworlds, I usually don't see many new Shout Factory tv season sets on the shelves. Not even on the first week of release.

The Shout Factory tv season sets which I do see relatively often at nearby Wallyworlds, is typically older stuff which is either "evergreen" or they have been collecting dust for awhile. In recent times, it is stuff like: the four WKRP season sets, The Bob Newhart Show complete series, Welcome Back Kotter complete series, etc ...

I have never seen a Shout Factory set at a Wal Mart, outside of maybe the Timeless western stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks