What's new

Swans Diva 6.1 package review (1 Viewer)

Greg Br

Second Unit
Well I have had the Diva 6.1 package for three days now and thought I would post my initial impressions.

My previous speakers were two JBL tower speakers(circa 1992), a cheap JBL center and two JBL N24 rear speakers.

6.1-Obviously I have only about 15 hours on these speakers so they are not yet broke in. I would agree with everyone that the looks of these speakers are awesome. They have a elegance about them that says "look at me I am so marvalous". The wood on mine was darker than when I demoed them and the pattern was tighter. Unfortunately the wood does not exactly match the center and rear speakers but it does not look bad either. The top mounted tweeter adds to the elegant feel of the speakers and my initial feeling is I would rather have the C3 for the same look. I demoed the following speakers before buying the Divas, Paradigm 100's, Klipsch RF-7's, and Martin Logan Aeon's. I thought that Paradigms were the most complete speaker of the three so I will compare the Divas to them. The 6.1's absolutely kick but on the high's and for me was one of the strengths of the speaker. The Paradigms were bright and fatiguing, while I could listen to the smoothness of the Divas all night long. The mids are nice on the divas but I think that was the strength of the Paradigms, I am actually a little disappointed in the 6.1's mids as I heard that was the main reason to get the 6.1's. I will concur with some other posts that the bass is lacking from the 6.1's, but it was similar to the Paradigm's so maybe my expectations were off, the RF-7 has the best bass of these I checked out. I do have dual SVS subs so I know I will have plenty of low end. The soundstage was very well reproduced with wideness and blended very well. All in all these are great speakers but would rate second to the Paradigms.

C3-I received the new C3 and I could not be happier with the sound. I put this center thru the rigors with Blue Man Group and I was overwhelmed with its ability to reproduce mids and highs, even the bass extended very well so that was a plus. The only negative I noticed was on deep voices sometimes the reproduction was a little off, but that was so minimal for me. The C3 IMO is the best speaker in the set.

R3-Again I am very impressed with the speaker. For one the looks just add to the room. I did some surround testing with U-571(I love the popping bolts) and using my DD Demo disk I found that these dipole speakers just added to my HT experience. I also played some DVD-Audio tracks and thought that the timbre match the front soundstage as well as could be. I am very happy with these rears, sometimes the rears are overlooked by speaker companies and with multichannel music this is an important speaker.

In review I am happy with this set of speakers. Everything about them says expensive except the price is not, which for me was $2200. You will not find a better 5 speaker set for that amount, here were the other three speakers as a package that I was looking at,

Martin Logans-$5700

Klipcsh RF-7, C7,R7-$3100

Paradigms 100's, center, rear dipoles's-3,300

As you can see I would have had to pay as much as $900 more for a complete package that is not any better. I cannot say the 6.1's blew any of these away, just that it hung with all three on the mains and bested the center and rears.

I would like to add that two things, I have not broke these speakers in for 100 hours as most recommend(although how much mid and bass could that add) and when I demoed the other speakers I was using Parasound and Krell amps that are not in my system.

Greg

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
The bass on the 6.1's will get better. After about 100 hours on my 6.1's I noticed the difference. I came home yesturday and found my wife listening to some R&B stuff, I went to turn off the sub to hear what the speakers would sound like and noticed that the sub wasn't even on. I could not believe the bass coming from the 6.1's.

Greg Br

Second Unit
I am less concerned about the low bass as my SVS seemed to blend seemlesly in with them. Should be interesting to see if I can notice the change in 100 hours as I am no audiophile at all(well at least not yet).

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I definitely noticed a major change on my Diva 4.1s: much bigger bottom and an overall improvement. To tell the truth I was skeptical about speaker break in, but now I'm a believer.
Ted

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,

Glad to hear you received your Diva package and that you're happy with them. It's too bad av123.com won't give me a little bonus for demoing them for you in my home. Since you came by I've added another Cinepro amp to my system and 2 cheap rear speakers which really has helped the surround field in my room. Enjoy your speakers and let us know how you feel about them in another 100 hours or so.

MikeAF

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
It's too bad av123.com won't give me a little bonus for demoing them for you in my home.
It would be cool if they did something like that as I and many other people have opened up there homes for the auditions. Something like a music CD or DVD if the person who auditions the Divas ends up buying some. Even if they don't do something like that I feel like I have to let people auditon the Divas because of the great service I have received from AV123.com.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Juan:
as I and many other people have opened up there homes for the auditions
I myself am VERY thankful that people like Juan and others are very gracious at letting other people audition their Divas. If it wasn't for them, I would still be in "THE DARK" about how wonderfull* these speakers really are!
Will I recommend them? I MOST CERTAINLY WOULD! Am I an AUDIOPHILE? Im MOST CERTAINLY AM NOT! (wannabe maybe)
*This is my OWN personal opinion and should be taken as such.
Again- Many thanks to Juan!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
P.S. Juan-Did you ever get your Pioneer Elite? If so, how does it sound? I'll have to come back and take another listen! (If thats cool of course).
Angelo

Russell W

Agent
Greg,

Everyone here is telling you correct. The Diva's really need 100+ hours before they are broken in. The sound so much better. No kidding.

Please come back and post your thoughts after 100+ hours. I believe you'll be quite pleased.

Russell Woolfolk

AV123.com

Russell W

Agent
Mike and Juan,

We are working on a program to say thank you to the many people that have opened their homes. Please call us and tell Steve I asked you to call for a special gift for your kindness...

Russell Woolfolk

AV123.com

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
like others have said, the speakers always get better with breaking them in (any brand) so it will only get better, congrates on the purchase.

Greg Br

Second Unit
I agree that a speaker needs to be broken in but wouldn't it by correct in assuming that if I did a A/B direct comparison of two speakers that are new that if one speaker sounded better than the other then why would it be different 100 hours of playback, tuff wording but I think you get the point.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Russell,

As with Juan, seeing and sharing the sound of the Diva's is a real pleasure, and it makes me feel good when someone comes to my house, listens to the Diva's, and then buys them. I would do it just for that pleasure. However, Iam a reasonable person and would never turn down a thank you gift if you choose to offer one even if it's just a personal thank you. I may give Steve a call next week if nothing else to thank you guys for providing a great speaker at a reasonable cost. And if anyone else wants to come by for a listen in the Phoenix area go to audioenvy.com and register. Have a great weekend.

MikeAF

Greg Br

Second Unit
Mike,

I think I am going to add my name to the list, I could be the guy they go to if they have the average j6p equiptment, you could be the hi fidelity guy, I am in envy of your amplification!

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Angello,

the 47TX has not arrived yet, it was suppose to be here this week but I don't know what happen, hopefully next week. When I get the receiver in and I get it all hooked up then you are more than welcome to come over and listen to them again.

Russell,

Thanks for the gift but I feel kind of weird calling for it because this was never my intention. I just wanted to return the favor because you guys (AV123.com) have giving me such great customer service. Dont get me wrong though, if I received something in the mail I dont think I would send it back:b .

Greg Br

Second Unit
I will do all the demoes for my pleasure only, just when I go to by more stuff from av123 maybe that could be in the back of their minds for pricing.

You should ask on your order form if someone demoed the speakers for them, then just add that to the database!

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,
I don't consider my self at the high end of audio. I'm just fortunate to have a little more money than some to spend on my hobby. Plus I feel I got great deals on the amps I bought, and I would not have been able to afford them brand new. And after spending some time with you I know you are not J6P, just like all of us we want a great system for a reasonable price and it's good that companies like av123.com svsubwoofers and the Outlaw's are doing their best to bring HT to the masses. Have a great weekend enjoying your Diva's!:D
Mike

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Not to be a spoilsport, but don't any of you feel the slightest bit weird about inviting complete strangers into your home? I've thought about signing up on audioenvy, but I haven't gotten past that yet. Maybe it's just my problem in thinking the worst of people all the time ;) . Of course, it would be unlikely that anyone around here would be interested. I'm in a small, college town that is a real HT wasteland. Then there's the fact that my old, POS receiver and CD player are not what I'd consider to be of appropriate quality to show all the Diva's potential :b . Maybe av123 should sweeten the deal, and make sure all demoers get some electronics upgrades. They do sell Outlaw and Perp. Tech. gear as well . . . ;) :D

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Brett,
My wife had the same reservations about inviting complete strangers into the house and I'm as careful as I can be about screening those who want to come over. I figured if they do come back when I'm not home and rob me, I get to buy all new equipment:D
It definitely can be a sticky point and if you're not comfortable with that then I say don't do it. Fortunately for me, the 3 times I've had people over it has been an enjoyable experience. Anyway, on to enjoy the Diva's.
MikeAF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks