What's new

Swamp Thing Recalled: MGM Withdraws Support for Adrienne Barbeau's Bodacious Ta Ta's! (1 Viewer)

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
Boy do I feel like a boob. The moment I read this I had to bust out of the house and get a copy, hopefully I could get my hands on a pair :D
Went to Circuit City and they were flat empty.
Then to Best Buy, not a mound to be found.
At last, at Borders, success. My cup runneth over with joy!
Note: for those in the Indy area, these stores are in the South 31 area near Greenwood. The copy at Borders was the last one :frowning:

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
Blockbuster removes PG-rated flick that has footage unfit for kids
So are we to expect a similiar scenario if some parent is offended by the topless scenes of Tanya Robert's in the PG rated The Beastmaster or Sheena? :rolleyes:I hope this is an isolated incident.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Am I the only one who remembers seeing Adriennes boobs in theaters, right here in the U.S.? What is all this about an international cut? I swear, when this movies came out, that scene was there.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I simply don't get mainstream America's blind terror of nudity.
Or, to put it another way, what would you rather have: an evening of sex or an evening of violence? ;)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Although I agree that parents should stop assuming that "PG" means "OK for kids," MGM really is the one that screwed up in this case. This mother apparently does try to monitor what her kids watch, and I respect anyone that does that, although many go too far.

It should come as no surprise that Swamp Thing would be something 9-year-old would want to watch; I was a big monster movie fan growing up, too. As far as the violence goes, most of the time, it is cartoonish, and most kids understand that it's fake. However, graphic sexuality is not something I think a 9-year-old should be exposed to. I haven't seen the unrated Swamp Thing so I don't know how much there is, but I still understand the position of the mother.

At any rate, all this is beside the point. MGM goofed and put the wrong rating on the case, defeating the purpose of a rating. It should have been fixed a long time ago, but it seems they are doing the best they can now. I imagine what will happen is that they'll simply re-issue the disc with a different rating. I guess we'll see.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I simply don't get mainstream America's blind terror of nudity.
I don't get it either Jon...and I live here. Sex seems to be sort of a taboo here in the states(atleast in the area were I live & work), while violence & terror seem to be ok. Its ok for Arnold to blow away a room full of people, but let one pair of boobs show up & and pick forks & torches come out.
Baffles the crap out of me :confused:

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Am I the only one who remembers seeing Adriennes boobs in theaters, right here in the U.S.? What is all this about an international cut? I swear, when this movies came out, that scene was there.
I haven't watched the disc yet, so I don't know how much difference to expect. I saw Swamp Thing at it's premiere in South Carolina, and I can tell you for certain that the version I saw on HBO later did not show as much boobage as the version I saw in the theater.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Heck, Adrienne's boobs are the ONLY thing worth owning this movie for (yes, her infamous purple corset poster adorned my dorm room for several years back in the late 1970s). :D

Russ Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Wait'll you guys find out this "mom" was an MGM operative charged with finding a way to make sure MGM found a way to sell every remaining Swamp Thing DVD still available on the shelves.
It's just creative marketing. ;) Actually, MGM's now got a totally win-win situation. First, they knew what they were doing when they released the int'l cut. They may have screwed up the labeling, but that's all. Now they get to placate a customer complaint (thus appearing responsive to those kinds of issues) while the existing copies fly off the shelves.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
MGM is usually pretty accurate on the rating of the titles they release. For example, "Liebestraum" on DVD is the R Rated version where as the LD was an unrated director's cut version.
John,

Do tell - what is the difference between the two? I have the DVD, and I thought that the deleted scene would have made the MPAA's cup runneth over -- was that edited into the LD version or were there other changes?

Thanks,

Ted

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
John,
Do tell - what is the difference between the two [versions of Liebestraum]? I have the DVD, and I thought that the deleted scene would have made the MPAA's cup runneth over -- was that edited into the LD version or were there other changes?
I've never seen the R-rated cut on DVD, only my unrated LD version, so I can't tell you exactly what might be different.
The LD is relatively graphic sexually, and would definitely be the hardest of Rs if not NC-17. So I assume then that the deleted sequence you mention is what was added back to the director's cut. If you could post or send a description of the deleted scene (tastefully of course) I can check the LD to see if that is the difference. Also, if you send an accurate running time for the feature (to the nearest minute) I can do the same for the LD and again make a comparrison.
I know the two versions are different because a friend of mine who borrowed the LD a while back said he recognized footage that he had not seen when he rented the DVD version. He was not specific however.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I had no intention of ever buying this disc (hadn't heard of the flick, and it ain't my type of flick anyhow), but now own it. It may even warrant a watch before it makes its way to ebay.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Ahh, okay, well, I can't say I remember seeing an orgy fondling scene at the theater, but I thought, as a kid, that the swamp-bath scene was of a fair length, and that we did see a good frontal shot. Now, I have actually not seen the film since then, and have only held off buying the dvd as it was not anamorphic. Now of course, having stopped by Borders today, I have the dvd and will be happily watching to see if I can discern any difference from what my memory recalls from 20 (!?!) years ago. Now, I can't wait for The Fog SE. One can never have too much Adrienne. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks