Swamp Thing Recalled: MGM Withdraws Support for Adrienne Barbeau's Bodacious Ta Ta's!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John P Grosskopf, May 7, 2002.

1. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

DVDfile.com is reporting that MGM is recalling the DVD of "Swamp Thing" because a P.O.'d mother discovered a little more of Adrienne Barbeau than she expected when renting the DVD from a Dallas area Blockbuster video.
    Here's the link: http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-....html#05072002

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

They'll probably just repress it with "Unrated" on the cover.

As far as I know, the only trouble they could be in is improper use of the MPAA's 'PG' rating, when the film has no such certificate.

3. Michael St. Clair

Do they sell these at 'Target'?

4. John P Grosskopf

5. MaxY

MaxY Guest

I remember buying this one when it first came out and watching it and thinking, hey I thought it said PG on the cover. Checking it and seeing it did say PG then wondering how the heck that was PG.

I then read about it being the unrated version online. I have heard that MGM has put unrated versions on DVD marked with the theatrical releases rating with some other DVDs as well, though I believe those were R to begin with so I guess it would not really be that much of a big deal.

Max

6. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Regardless of what the rating was on the box, the mother should still have known beforehand about the film itself.

If she is afraid that her precious angel may see a pair of breast, I hate to see how she will be when her child really takes notice of breast.

7. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

8. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

PG means "Parental Guidance." If a parent has no idea what's on the disk, that alone should be enough information for them to decide that they need to familiarize themselves with it before their child sees it, or watch it with their child. I'm probably overreacting to all of this a little, but I'm really kind of sick of parents plopping little Giorgio and Juliette down in front of the TV, sticking something "PG" in the player and expecting everything to come out all right.
    You gave birth to it, lady. Now raise it.

9. John P Grosskopf

MGM is usually pretty accurate on the rating of the titles they release. For example, "Liebestraum" on DVD is the R Rated version where as the LD was an unrated director's cut version.
    I also know that the cut of "Dogs of War" on DVD is the longer cut for foreign markets, but I'm unclear as to whether it should be rated R as is listed on the box or unrated as it was apparently not released here in the US before the DVD version came out.
    MGM has also put out product with differing lengths running times on the same disc between widescreen and P&S versions on the same disc; i.e. Force 10 From Navarone has a shorter cut on the Pan and Scam side and a longer cut on the letterboxed side (imagine the uproar from this forum if the ruinning time of the letterbox side was the shorter of the two).
    I've watched the DVD of the "unrated cut" of Swamp thing many times since it came out on DVD (well at least short portions of it anyway [​IMG] ). It's pretty tame considering what many PG-13 films get away with today, and an R rating would probably have been appropriate if this were the version originally released in theaters. That said, I feel MGM is really going the extra mile here to quell the gripes of one customer who IMO inappropriately chose the material for her children to watch. It's a horror film from Wes Craven for Crist's sake. MGM simply didn't realize they were putting out the international version, and were probably doing there best to utilize a print that was in the best shape possible (as was Adrienne Barbeau's) for the transfer.
    Further, I feel that anyone who takes this movie and A.B.'s cleavage too seriously may be suffing from an acute case breast envy [​IMG] .

10. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

What pisses me off is that one woman can get a dvd pulled because it's got the wrong rating on the label, but thousands of us together can't get a completely marred p&s disc pulled. [​IMG]

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Speaking of "Bodacious Ta-Ta's", when's THAT movie coming out on DVD? It's an absolute classic and one of the few reasons to keep my VHS hooked up- the scene where Ron Jeremy discusses the "big bang theory" is priceless!

13. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

........umm..anyone have a screen grab of this..umm..offensive scene so I can avoid it..umm..in the future?

14. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

She just assumed that the version on the dvd was the same version she saw on tape in the 80's, since they were both rated PG.
    Here's the article from the Dallas Morning News, no registration required.

15. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Well, my earlier blown gasket aside, I stopped in at Circuit City on the way home and plucked from their grasp the very last copy they had. Funny thing is, there was a couple there ahead of me sort of pawing through the disks like they were looking for something very specific and not finding it. Needless to say, I didn't hold it up and say, "Was this what you were looking for?" [​IMG]
    So, now that I'm invested in this, I'm gonna be really p.o.'d if it turns out to be a hoax.

16. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Ooh! Now I'm gonna go find one!
    Smart marketing campaign! [​IMG]

17. John P Grosskopf

18. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Here we are with the same old story. Ok for the kids to watch immoral characters ,shootings,gruesome deaths,and horrible mutations but not breasts.

The Bride has frontal female nudity and its PG, Dragonslayer has blood and grotesque flesh eating and its not R rated.What about Doc Hollywood and so on.... I saw a movie once during the day on HBO I couldnt believe with a woman swimming in slow motion topless.The scene lasted for about 2 minutes.I looked it up and sure enough it was PG.

I agree 1000% percent with parents have to supervise what their kids watch if theyre concerned and not rely on rating s or anyting else.My g/f has 2 kids and doesnt mind them watching R movies even, as long as she checks it out first.I'll never forget after the Beavis and Butthead fiasco all I could think of is "Why is a 4 year old watching Beavis and Butthead?"

Nowadays there are also plenty of websites out there that list "offensive material" in movies,DVDs and videos for parents.

BTW, I found a copy at Suncoast in the "Under $15 shelf". I went by 2 Best Buys,FYE,Circuit City and Media Play and only found this one. This was released last year and I had no idea if was diferrent from the older versions.

19. Michael St. Clair

I struck out. If anybody can help me out with a copy, drop me a message.

I really do buy all comic-book-based DVDs, I just hadn't gotten around to this one yet...

20. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor