What's new

SVS + which in ceiling speakers? (1 Viewer)

Jwhit3367

Auditioning
Real Name
John whitmore
I am putting together my Atmos system I plan to buy as soon as things return to normal. Pretty much settled on SVS ultra bookshelf, center, and surrounds but for my elevation channels I am wanting to use in ceiling speakers. Any recommendations? My main concern is getting something that doesn't match sonically. Am I over thinking?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The SVS elevation speakers have optional surface mounts available. So, you would mount them to the surface of the ceiling, rather than in it. It would solve the issue of matching.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The SVS elevation speakers have optional surface mounts available. So, you would mount them to the surface of the ceiling, rather than in it. It would solve the issue of matching.
Why does mounting the speakers on the surface solve the issue of matching?

I use these and they sound pretty awesome, especially considering the price. Timbre matching isn't as much of an issue with overhead speakers as it is with floor speakers.

These are the in-ceiling speakers I have. I got them based on John’s and other HTF member recommendations. They are mixed in with Definitive Technology speakers I’ve had for several years. Love them.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
I own a pair of these:

And a pair of these:

The grills can be painted to match, they are magnetic, so they remove easily and the tweeters can be aimed, which is a sweet feature. Just my .02 cents

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I own a pair of these:

And a pair of these:

The grills can be painted to match, they are magnetic, so they remove easily and the tweeters can be aimed, which is a sweet feature. Just my .02 cents

Those are both VERY nice options. The RSL's are much more affordable though and also have aimable tweeters.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
Yeah, for $125 each of these RSL's, I can't really argue with that. If I went to a 7.2 with a pair mounted in the wall behind me, these would be very appealing.

Jeff16

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Anyone familiar with how the RSL C34E's compare to SVS Prime Elevation in quality for Atmos functions? RSL looks like a good value, but my concern is whether performance suffers due to the lack of an enclosed box on the back (I have no skills or interest in building a box for one).

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
When I had the Prime Elevations in my room they were not properly positioned [see pics in my sig] for Atmos use so I don't know how helpful I can really be. I would suspect, assuming they were mounted and angled correctly they would perform well.

That said, the RSL C34's are amazing, even at twice the price IMO and will provide a nice flush install. They don't suffer in any way in my room. You wound't be able to aim the tweeters with the SVS's either.

I've had mine for a little over a year now and haven't looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks