What's new

svs vs. sunfire subs? (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

This I'll take exception to.

Some people actually like the sound of harmonic distortion - subs that display high THD are often described as sounding "fuller, with more body and complexity". Well, in a way this is true, since the woofer cone is creating sounds of its own that are not present in the source signal.

Accuracy is the absence of deviation (in both frequency and distortion) from the source material. In any comparison, the sub which is most faithful to the source material is by definition the most accurate.

Professional testers have verified the two things common to the Sunfire products - a quick roll-off below 25 Hz, and prodigious amounts of distortion at frequencies below 30 Hz. These are not traits shared by SVS products.

In the end, one thing bears repeating: The most accurate reproduction of the source is not always what someone will prefer.

At a minimum, anyone considering a purchase should know ahead of time how the product in question performed in standardized and objective testing. If it tested out poorly, but they still liked it and bought it anyway, that's perfectly fine - at least they went into it with their eyes open and armed with the facts.

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
Hi Tony, I think it was the PC Ultra. That name seems to stick out in my mind.

Mike

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

This is proven daily...and something manufacturers bank on. Funny how people claim that verifiable, repeatable measurements are mere "marketing" when, in fact, made-up, overblown subjective hyperbole is the stuff ads, and fanatics, are made of.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks