What's new

svs vs. sunfire subs? (1 Viewer)

PeterN

Stunt Coordinator
Know a couple guys that are all over the sunfire subs. They are small but carry a heavy price tag. Just curious to see what your thoughts/experiences are between the two.

thanks
-peter

Joe Blech

Stunt Coordinator
They're cool because they are small, and they actually do put out a lot of sound for such a small unit, but they can not match the output of the much larger and louder SVS models. Depends on if you want a small sub footprint though. For my money, I like having a giant ominous looking black box in the corner. I feel like if I bought a Sunfire I would be paying for the technology of cramming big sound into a small box.

Don't get me wrong, I like the sunfire subs. They sound good and are nice and small, and really impressive for their size, but IMO they do not make you sit up and say "DAMN" when you hear those depth charges.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Great subs for the size, and that is their market. For the same price, there are many subs just as good if not better.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I think they are overpriced junk. I sell the shit for gods sake! They are relativly loud for the size, but a 2700 watt amp that size must be running at 1ohm or less. They are distortion layden boomy bass boxes. I think for half the price they are at now they are decent. I get 60% and Im still staying far away from them.

BTW the funny thing is.... My wife likes the look of a big SVS Cylinder over the sunfire.

J. Redcay

Agent
Hi Peter:

I had 2 Sunfire cubes (at the same time) and they are a nice
sized unit. They did energize my room, however I had a couple of problems (mostly ground loop hum related) which became quite
annoying. Carver always took care of the problems free, however, so I certainly feel they are a fine manufacturer.
I just recently had 2 SVS 2039PC+'s and can honestly say I feel you would be happier going that way. SVS just provides
a much better "bass environment" than most anyone out there.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Its hard to beat an SVS. I have had dual NHT's and several other velo's. I have a PB2+ now and it would kick the pants off all of them for a lot less money. That was my main problem when I first decided and got on the svs craze. You get this for this small amount of money... whats going on here? Well I had to try it and after talking to Ron there ages ago I got on the list for one of the first PB2+'s that came out and all I have to say is WOW.. It should be my last sub!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Jesse knows he is going over to Rons tomorrow for his big demo so this is his way of trying to pave the road for a 60% discount like he gets at work.;)... Now I'm just playing Jesse and I look forward to hearing about your big Friday night date.:emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
for HT i think the sunfire's do what they are supposed to, make loud booms and bangs. but for music, it is nearly impossible to blend them into a system. they are VERY boomy and loose. but, they are small and can move a lot of air.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Boomy for HT is just as bad as boomy for music, IMO. There is nothing worse than hearing ill-defined, exaggerated, distortion-laden bass in ANY application.

Sound mixing engineers put a TON of time into making bass effects for HT sound "right". The wing flap of a dragon, a depth charge, a dino stomp, the 2319 sock explosion, a cave troll falling dead, a jet lifting off from a carrier, a nuclear explosion - all have a unique sonic signature.

To me, it is as much a pleasure to hear HT bass effects accurately rendered as it is to hear musical bass properly reproduced - they are equally important in my book.

Ed

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I started to write the same thing Ed and then I said to myself> Heck I need to get to work. (2:30 am) Anyway I could not agree more. There are so many different flavors of sound that a sub needs to make for good HT and not to mention all the music on DVDs.

Don't be so nice Robert!;)

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
yeah, i guess ive been trying to be nicer lately, since most people think im a jerk. im really not, but i just get frustrated sometimes with people.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well I get to hear the SVS tonight... in 1:34 mins! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

But from what I heard of the Sunfire I was not impressed. It was just bass.... like a bad car sub. Its just there. It has no purpose in life.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I've got a MKII in my HT and am very impressed with the sound. Proper placement and system setup is critical, yes even mine can sound boomy if I mess with the location and settings.

Some of you folks need to lighten up a bit. One man's crap is anothers audio bliss. I've never heard an SVS sub and have no desire to. Not because I think that they suck, but because I'm more than satisfied with the MKII. My tiny little P.O.S. sud fills my HT with plenty of deep, rich bass. It blends in quite nicely with the rest of my system, but it took time to get it there. I've read a lot of threads about SVS, and most people like them alot. But lets be realistic, not everyone wants/needs/can't live another day without one.

Sorry for the rant.

BTW, How you doin' Doc?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Doin' OK, Frank! Thanks for asking. Out of deference to you, normally the worst I pull on the Sunfire front is to reference the Nousaine data on THD.

Sunfire does the micro-sub as well as anyone - hell Bob practically invented the concept. But like all things in life, there are trade-offs and compromises. A super high excursion 10" woofer in a tiny PR'd enclosure with tons of amp and EQ to flatten and extend the response will predictably result in higher distortion and less true deep extension than a larger driver (or two) operating in an enclosure the size of a small refrigerator. Hoffman's Iron Law is hard to bend very far. ;)

If a near invisible sub is a non-negotiable requisite for the decor, the Sunfire has its place in the subwoofer food chain. But your gear is front and center, Frank, so I would imagine you could probably deal with a larger sub without much trouble, and your HT room is pretty big too.

Maybe some day you'll get the itch to try something different (after you finish your latest FP upgrade - looks great so far, BTW). Until then - I sure won't begrudge you for enjoying the Sunfire! :emoji_thumbsup:

Doc

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
I hope you all don't mind my 2 cents. I did look at both subs before buying, and at many others. I checked them for music, and for HT. After about 2 years of looking, I finally had my system, and the sunfire was high on my list. The SVS was not as high, but still not bad none the less. Reason I went with the Sunfire. It had more bass at the lower levels, and the adjustability was key. Not that the SVS is not, it's just not as accurate as the sunfire MK2. For music, I listen to rock, and 80's and that sort of thing, and loved the fact that the sub if you wanted was barely hearable at those levels if you wanted to tone it down. The new ones are even better as you can do it on screen, and not have to touch the sub at all. Placement was key as well, as the way out house is, the sub is between 2 couches and under the table, it gave the gun shots and loud explosions a rattling affect on the couch, it's great for that, and you don't need bass shakers, and the fact that it's invisible in my room makes it better for me. For sound in HT it rocks, and for music, pure music, it's pretty darn good if you know how to fool with it. You have a nice setting for HT, and you have a nice setting for Music. The early models were not that great as that had some noise problems associated with grounding problems, but these new ones are fantastic. I was able to hear them both at the same time next to each other, and the sunfire won hands down on my ears, but everyone is different, and you will have to make that judgment on yourself. The sunfire MK2 is a very nice piece, and I do highly recommend it.

Cheers
Mike

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well I had my demo of the SVS's. I posted in another post. But I liked it alot. It blended alot better than the sunfire, kef, klipsch, infinity, deftech... etc. It wasnt boomy. It has a wonderfully flat response. This is definitly the sub Im going with. I just dont know wich one. No matter where the sub was in the room I couldnt place where the bass was coming from. He ran the SS wich was sitting right next to the couch 2 ft away and I still couldnt tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks