What's new

Svs Pb10 (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Good for you Brandon W.:emoji_thumbsup:

By golly I just figured out another option that the PB10-ISD will be great for. Instead of switching over the 2-U for the 20 Hz occasions. I'll use the 10-ISD instead, unless I really feal like getting crazy. With the 10-ISD being so close to seating, I'm sure it will work out great. Are you sure that driver is a 10"er Ed?:wink:

Thank you for the preliminary.

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I went to the LA demo show. I got a chance to hear 3 subs, the PB2-ultra, PC-ultra and the new PB10-ISD. If i haven't already got the Tempest, I would order the new $400 sub right now. Eventhough I only hear the PB10-ISD for about 15 mins on music. The sub really blend in well with the Ascend speakers. For $400 sub, it can really fill the room(pretty big) with good clean bass. For the one who ordered the PB10-ISD, you're really going to enjoy it. I haven't heard any $400 sub comes close to this. Order it now, before there's going to be a long waiting list due to back orders...

Have a bassiest nite all...enjoy...

Al,

ivanSFO

Auditioning
Thanks for the quick review. Yesterday I put in my order for the SVS PB10-ISD. It's reassuring to hear such positive comments.

Paul.G

Agent
I just wanted to say thanks to Edward J M for all of the great comments on the SVS PB10. You definitely know your stuff! I have been waiting to buy a new subwoofer, and have heard nothing but good things about SVS in general. All of your comments on this forum have convinced me to 'take the plunge' and preorder my PB10. (and thankfully, its in my price range!) Thanks again!

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:
__________________________________________________ ________

With all Frank has going on, I wonder if the 10-ISD will ever make it's way to him??

Steve,

Am thinking about getting a PB10-ISD for the "small" HT system now that I fully realize the mini $75/pair bandpass subs really doesn't cut the mustard after auditioning yet more signal sources with the B4-Plus subs reconnected since their 8" bass drivers just can't compete head on with the B4+ monster subs either in terms of sheer sound pressure levels output or low end extension, so would like to get a REAL subwoofer for this system. I believe the PB10-ISD will fill the bill quite nicely!

Oh, yes...I think I see Santa Claus leaving one of them 'lil 10-inchers by the Christmas tree soon!... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Oh, yes...I think I see Santa Claus leaving one of them 'lil 10-inchers by the Christmas tree soon!...
__________________________________________________ ____

Thats great Frank. I see your Faith in the 'lil 10-incher is growing. I to share in your Faith. Santa has been very good to you this past year hasn't he? I know you have had some health issues crop up, but he has even helped out there:emoji_thumbsup:

It's beginning to feel like Christmas!

Allen.S

Grip
Ok, I need a miracle... can someone post a shootout between the SVS PB10 and the HSU-STF2 before the SVS $399 deadline expires?

If not, can you smart guys give me some advice between the two? (Frankly, I'll probably never be able to tell the difference, but I don't want to find out later that I should have gone with one or the other.)

I'm buying my system soon, and it will hurt to wait for the SVS to ship, but if it's the best, I'll wait.

Help!

-Allen

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator

haha - i hear ya on this!!! I'm probably going to go for the PB10 just because it's a newer design, AND it's an SVS! I've heard nothing but excellent reviews and design from SVS - not knocking the HSU one bit though, they're awesome!

but remember the $399 price is an intro price, so it may go up!!! and who knows, maybe HSU will be turning out a new competitor as well!?!?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Allen,

I think Ed said he'd have his report around 15 OCT (I hope so, we're sort of eager to see it too ;^). Pricing on the PB10-ISD isn't going up till 1 NOV probably, and if we're not shipping by then we'll be extending it till we are shipping.

Sort of keeps us on our toes. In any case I think you are safe to wait. Of course lots of folks are ordering in the meantime and I can't promise we won't go out of stock for some short period before Christmas. We've got lots of parts inbound but it can take a while for the pipeline to fully fill up when orders are coming in as fast as they are for this one.

As you might already know, there is no charge till anyones' sub ships so it's not a big risk to order and then cancel if Ed's report isn't what we were hoping (based on the tidbits he's released so far I don't think that's likely).

Ron

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
If not, can you smart guys give me some advice between the two? (Frankly, I'll probably never be able to tell the difference, but I don't want to find out later that I should have gone with one or the other.)
__________________________________________________ _____

I would not consider myself one of the smart guys you allude to but lets dissect what Ed has stated thus far.

>>Tom V spent a lot of time making sure this sub was nearly bullet proof,>I played the "cave troll falling dead" scene from LOTR-FOTR and I was suitably impressed; IIRC, "damn, this little bugger can kick some ass" were my exact words to the better half.>The PB10-ISD is a somewhat larger and heavier (40 pounds vs. 60) than the STF-2. Its enclosure is shaped like a 2/3 scale PB2, and has considerably more internal volume than the STF-2. It has a lower tune point, and a much more capable woofer in terms of excursion, air moving capability, and distortion limited output, and much deeper extension.>(how much clean output it has across the entire operating bandwidth) is nothing short of remarkable.>This takes nothing away from the STF-2; as I said above it's an excellent sub. But the PB10-ISD simply sets a new standard in this class and it sounds GREAT to boot. Frankly, I don't understand how SVS can sell this thing for $400 - the woofer alone looks like it's worth at least $250. Don't take my word for it; buy whatever competitive models you want in this price class and compare them to the PB10-ISD and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Allen.S

Grip
Ron,

That settles it, I'm placing an order. How many pre-release review units did you send out? Hopefully, several reviews will be hitting soon....

Ed, can you compare this bad boy with the STF-2 for us? Even your comparative impressions would be helpful at this point...

-Allen

Edit: Steve you posted while I did. Did I just miss that stuff about the STF-2? That's exacty the kind of things I was looking for! Thanks bud!

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

Still, the PB10-ISD is just belting out numbers in the 20-30 Hz bandwidth that are way, WAY higher than anyone would have reasonably expected at this price point. This subwoofer hasn't just raised the $400 bar, it just smashed it into outer space; I'm not kidding.

I knew it...I just knew it! :D Man, I hate to be so right! ;)

By the way...during the course of the last couple of days I viewed Star Wars:The Phantom Menace, Star Wars:Attack Of The Clones, and the last James Bond movie series installment: Live Another Day (on DVD)...with the B4-Plus subbass twins re-connected to the "small" HT system...and let me tell 'ya...playing back the soundtracks the sound pressure levels generated by the nether low end was not only spectacular, but it was actually quite frightening an experience! :eek: I swear the couch in which I was sitting moved a few inches!!...
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Hi Allen:

My objective test methodology was identical for the two subwoofers. They were both tested outside at 2 meters ground plane for frequency response, dynamic compression, and distortion.

Also, my more limited indoor measurements at the listening position(s) are also done under the same exact conditions and subwoofer location. Ditto for any SPL peak measurements on DVDs.

So you can directly compare the two models, even though it was not a "shoot-out" between the two subwoofers per se. The PB10-ISD report will be hotlinked in my signature block, so you can reference it at any time.

We watched the first half of "Return of the Jedi" last night at -10 Reference Level with the PB10-ISD calibrated a few dB "hot". I even (hesitantly) played the ultra hot THX Cavalcade trailer at -10 RL. Everyone in the room was shaking their head in disbelief at what the PB10-ISD can deliver in terms of clean, deep, and dynamic bass. A subwoofer with true bottom end moves the room from the ground up; the PB10-ISD delivers on that count - with a concrete floor. This subwoofer is completely remarkable; in a mid size room it might be all anyone ever needs.

Allen.S

Grip
Thanks Ed! (Order placed)

Waiting for UPS...

Patience.

Has anyone put together a subwoofer demo CD or DVD? It'd be pretty cool to rip the sections of various songs and movies discussed here onto a single DVD or CD to have something to throw on when the friends come over...

Hmmm.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
My room is about 18x12x8 with an attached small foyer (leading to powder room and office) and an open stairwell. I would characterize it as fairly "closed", and about 2000 ft3 total volume.

Also, the floor is cement and three of the four walls are partial concrete block or brick. These boundary surfaces tend to provide better reinforcement at the lowest frequencies than the more typical "lossy" room with a wooden floor over an open space, drywall construction, and perhaps more glass pane.

Can the PB10-ISD run with my PB2-Ultra? Of course not, and I'm not trying to suggest otherwise. All I'm saying is that it has such good bandwidth linearity that it stays deep, clean, and authoritative across the entire operating bandwidth (and that includes the all important 20-30 Hz) right up to its dynamic limits (at which point it politely refuses to play any louder).

Many people will be running the PB10-ISD very hard and won't even realize it, because it sounds so good at/near its limits. It will compress if you push it too hard, but compression is a lot easier to tolerate by the average enthusiast if audible distress artifacts like doubling, farting, and soft bottoming are largely absent.

The PB10-ISD is very well behaved in my 2000 ft3 room right up to -10 RL running a few dB hot on aggressive DVDs like the new Stars Trilogy - quite an accomplishment for a single 10" woofer. If you have a larger room (say 2500+ ft3) or regularly push at/near Reference with the sub running hot, you are a candidate for a Plus subwoofer or a PB2 series.

Paul`S

Auditioning
Ok - I have a large room 6000 cu.ft. and a small budget for a sub (under $500). The room has 7 windows and 4 large openings to other parts of the house. Currently we have no sub at all and our speaker system doesn't provide much base either. We don't play movies at very loud levels (-20 to -13 on a Yamaha 2400 at most). Would the PB10 add value to the action/sci-fi movie experience worth the $$. I was looking at a STF-2 or VTF-2 before reading abut this one last month now I lean to the PB10.

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator

i'm in a similar situation sizewise... but i do have a Sony SA-WM40 sub, and trust me - ANY sub helps! but i'm also looking to upgrade to the PB10-ISD

why?
fits my pricerange
fits my size-range ;)
i'm a bang-for-the-buck kinda guy :D

best of luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks