What's new

SvS PB10-ISD -vs- VTF-2 MK 2 (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Movies or music and how big is your room? I owned the version 1 VTF-2 and the PB-10 at the same time. I kept the PB-10. Though the VTF-2 was a little better for music IMO, the PB-10 wins hands down in the extension category. In their upper ranges, the VTF-2 has about the same output as the PB-10, but falls off below 25Hz, while the PB-10 keeps going solid to 20Hz and starts to drop off below that.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
The PB-10 is a freak of a sub....I love mine. It even blends nicely with my Maggies, which is a tall order for any sub. You can't beat it for four bills. :emoji_thumbsup:

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
SVS for sure... Call and talk to Ron there and let him in on your room and such. He will be very straight with you in what you need... Great customer service!
MikeL

MarkGT

Auditioning
I'm having the same dilemma. I already own an SVS PCi series (excellent sub!) and need a smaller "box" type sub for another room. The "updated nousaine list" from previous posts shows the 20hz output of the VTF-2 to be 93db in max extension mode. I'm not sure where the PB10-ISD would fall using a similar testing situation. SVS's website shows the 20hz point to be between 85-90db though this may not be an apples to apples comparison as it would depend on the testing conditions...
Anyway, the HSU is a little more compact (slight advantage). The guys at SVS assured me that they have tested both subs and that the PB-10 (they feel) goes deeper and louder, especially at low frequencies. I'm also interested to see what others think and/or whether or not anyone has done a side by side comparison...
Both companies have excellent reputations. Probably can't go wrong either way. Mark

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
If a music first system the Hsu. How much of a hurry are you in? The "turbo charger" from Hsu for the yet to be released HO series is going to be backwards compatible with the VTFs. That means the VTF will be capable of going lower and louder than now. I haven't seen anything on what the "turbo" will cost.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Both the SVS and the HSU are great subs at a great price. Not much goes below 25hz in most movies and in music it's more like 50hz. The SVS has a flatter response curve so if you prefer unobtrusive bass, that's probably the best way to go. Also, SV's liberal return policy may be a good way to try it out and see what you think. If you don't like the way it sounds, send it back and get a HSU.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Must not have seen many new movies or heard any new music. PLENTY of stuff below 25hz now and only getting more prolific as the days go by.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps a really deep subwoofer is like a amplifier with plenty of power reserves. Most of the time the music may only demand a couple of watts-- but occasionally, there may be times when substantially more is required: perhaps a dramatic drum beat, a cannon... A subwoofer that can reproduce scenes like these:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/images/c...rringdrops.JPG

(Ring drop scene, Fellowship of the Ring, 0:3:39)
might not be exercised for 90% of the movie, but when it is, it adds something to the viewing experience. Whether this "special something" is worth $400 is up to you.

As for music, I have the strong feeling that ""Bassy McBass and His Bass-Bumping All-Bass Big Bass Band (Extra Bass Mix)" is rarely played on systems that can reproduce noise below 50 or 60 Hz, but that estimation could be tainted by how I usually hear those tunes-- At 3 AM, from the car idling outside my apartments.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah? check the thread from the link below. Some even go down as low as 5Hz. There plenty going on in today's movies below 25Hz. Well below 25Hz. Must not have ever seen any movies like:

LOTR(take your pick)
Flight of the Phoenix
SW EPI & 2
Monsters Inc.
Ice Age
Chronicles of Riddick

Just to name a few.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...highlight=freq

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys. I just read a review on this forum on the SVS, Infinity and Velodyne.

I found a great price on a VRP-1200, so this is the sub I snagged. Seems to do very well for Home Theater and the price was 50% less then the two mentioned above. Hey thats always cool :emoji_thumbsup: . Thanks again!!

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
I agree...somewhat. Low bass is becoming more and more common in movies. As far as those bass heavy movies are concerned, i've seen just about all of them. Even so, most regular folk don't need, or want, a sub that is capable of producing bass in the single digits.

Before I got an SVS, I used a lowly Boston CR 400 which had a low frequency rating of 35hz. That didn't stop it from rattling my floors during movies like U-571, Pearl Harbor, Monsters Inc., Star Wars Ep. 2 etc. The SVS I have now does produce more tactile feel but it isnt't something that I necessarily need to enjoy a movie with a lot of low hits.

Music, on the other hand, is not so bass heavy as to require a sub that extends to the sub-sonic level. I mean c'mon...normal music does just fine with a sub that can handle a minimum of 40-50hz. The bass extension of a sub is not a brick wall. Even if there is some material lower than the subs rated specs, it will still be audible...just at a reduced volume.

If you're a bass freak, sure you'll want to know that your sub(s)can handle stuff below 20hz but for most people it's just overkill.

Enjoy your new sub Mike. The VRP-1200 is a fine sub for the money. I almost bought a Velo 12" (CHT 12) before I got bit by the SVS bug. I was very impressed by it's performance.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Thanks John.
As long as its not boomy to where everything just booms, I will be happy. This should match nicely (I hope) w/ my Onix Rocket setup.

-Mike

Morgan_

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Mikey, my PB10 shows the hidden "subsonic" material that is in music that you may have listened to in the past, but not heard. I was in the kitchen, and I was listening, of all things, Celine Dion, and I think it was "because you loved me", and "my heart will go on", and it's really cool hearing that kind of low foundation that is just below 20hz, I know what it sounds like, as do many do on the forum, but it's hard to describe, because you have to know what you are hearing. My sub in the computer room that I built goes down to 25hz, which is low and it sounds great, but it can't get to that sub 20hz area. I have a larger family room now, so I'm looking at PB12-plus in wood veneer in the future. I'll always have my PB10, won't ever part with that puppy, I love it.:)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor

When they come to a Home Theater based forum asking about SVS and HSU subs, why do you think they would NOT want that?
I still stand by their are PLENTY of movies (and music) with sub 25hz bass and if for the people who do not care about them, well, they are not the ones who come posting on Audio or Home theater type discussion boards asking for subwoofer recommends.

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Mikey 100%. I normally use my Ultras in the 15Hz tune because there is alot of material at this frequency and below. Just because you can't hear it, doesn't mean you can't feel it. Movie soundtracks are demanding more and more from the LFE channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks