What's new

svs or hsu subwoofer? (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka

Oh, sorry. I thought you had it already. Well, I'm looking forward hearing your thoughts about it. Especially the SQ side.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor

Assuming we're talking two subs having similar, and good objective measurements across the board, then definitely. Size, shape, material, etc. Sonically, they will be difficult to tell apart (psychoacoustics, however, can have a *very* powerful influence).

-Robb

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the very quick response..

Its done... ordered the 20-39... a few minutes ago

Now i will be like a father waiting for my kid to be born...

I hope it does not take 68 weeks with ups ground

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
(psychoacoustics, however, can have a *very* powerful influence).

Yes it surly can Robb. Kind of makes me wonder if trying another brand is truly worth it, considering how much of a hardened SVS addict I have been in the past and rightly so, in my way of thinking.

Since you have the PB10-ISD and the PB12-Ultra/2, same as me. I decided I needed to go that extra step.:D Just playing Robb.

>>>looking forward hearing your thoughts about it. Especially the SQ side.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Steve,

Enjoy the Maestro! If you have the time and money, there's no reason not to experiment.

-Robb

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
CurtisSC:

Are you somehow in contact with anyone at Home Theater Forum or HSU that I am not aware of that gave you any such information? The FACT of the matter is that no one from HSU has contacted me (and I am the guy they have to talk to) for several years about advertising on this forum let lone in the last couple of months. SV Subwoofers has been our Official subwoofer since the beginning. We have no contract between our two companies so there is no contractual anything. Our particular arrangements are between our two companies.

ALL:

I will say this yet again. The fact that SVS is a sponsor of this forum has nothing to do with anything. It in no way sets a bias towards them one way or the other anymore than to say because TV Authority is a sponsor we are biased towards Infocus.

What we do not take to lightly is any body coming on this forum (especially when they have a vested interest in another company) and talking up their product. We also do not take lightly to anyone coming on this forum and bashing a product just to bash it. For instance. Rarely can a member start up a thread asking for an opinion on an SV Subwoofer product without someone having to jump into that thread and tell them about a product that they didn't ask about. This then starts the war between the product owners and people calling SVS owners a bunch of zealots and saying that HTF is in the back pockets of SVS and that is why they get so many of our members talking up their product. They cannot believe that they just like their subs that much.

I will say this again. We have never been and will never be in the back pocket of anyone. Ron and Tom are friends and make a fantastic product period. They also know that if our membership started to complain about them to us they would be hearing from us. And they do and have. Just like any other vendor.

I have never understood when it is the owners of the product in question that are making the claims of how great an SV Subwoofer it is the HTF that is said to be in the back products of SVS. I could understand if Ron or I jumped into threads and started telling people to avoid another product line. Why not just say that all the owners of SV Subwoofers are getting paid by SVS to come on to this forum and talk up their product line?

We are also called on taking out members that are fans of any other subwoofer product other than SVS. There is nothing farther from the truth in that matter too. We remove memberships on the actions of the individual member and we have taken out many an SVS fan due to their own actions. So to say that we run a biased board toward SVS is out of line too. The other question I have to ask is if you are so disappointed in our forum and other forums are so much better why do you hang out here then? If we are so biased towards SVS and we are only going to be allowing those posts that show SVS in a great light then why do you bother posting in any of those threads?

I think that in the future all should just stop and take a couple of minutes and remember that we are all hear to learn about all sorts of things that have to do with home theater. Saying statements that are not based on any type of fact AS fact are statements that should be kept to your own keyboard and not voiced in a public forum. Especially this one.

Parker

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Good evening Parker,

We would be absolutely thrilled to advertise here if there are opportunities available to do so. Per our most recent email conversation a couple months ago about advertising, I was told that no opportunities were available due to existing forum and manufacturer relationships. I believe that you were out of town when I sent the advertising inquiry to you, so maybe that is why you don't remember seeing it or responding to it. We think that this is a great community, and would love to help this community learn and grow as much as possible in the future. Please let me know if there are any further opportunities for Hsu Research to contribute towards the growth of this forum.

Sincerely,

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hey Peter......at least you are being consistent with the 'opportunist' label I slapped on ya earlier in the conversation.

Call me crazy, but your response to Parker would have been much more appropriate if it had been done in private as opposed to on the forum.

ErnieGplus

Grip
I think it was pretty smart of peter to do this. Now parker had to have seen this. If I owned a bussiness and was trying contact the owner of a website with my other attampts of contacting him failing I think I would have done the same thing.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Ernie, that's exactly why he should NOT have done it, and it's exactly why I refer to him as an opportunist. These forums are not, to my knowledge, where you are supposed to be conducting business. To me, it's highly inappropriate, especially when Parker just said that there were no contracts with SVS precluding Hsu advertising here. On top of that, he's masquerading his business as an opportunity to 'contribute to the growth of the forum'.......please. You know what, Peter? The SVS guys may have a presence here on HTF, but they sure as hell would never post in a manner that assumes the readers are stupid.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I've typed a couple of posts to try and put my opinion out there and deleted them without posting because I was afraid of the backlash I might get. I am reasonably mature at 38 y.o. and educated with a graduate degree. I don't have a vested interest in either of the products except that I own one of them, thanks to opinions I got on the forum. If I am afraid of posting on an internet forum, isn't that a symptom that something is wrong here? Put the personality issues aside, stop calling each other names and get past this.

Parker, Peter says he emailed you. Peter, Parker says he never got your email. Figure out where the disconnect is, fix it, see if you can do business together and let's move on.

Signed, one newbie who is already tired of the flaming, name calling and he said/she said. I love this forum but this SVS/Hsu stuff in my mature, educated opinion plain sucks. :thumbsdown:

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I'm sorry, but the name calling and flaming ended way back in the middle of this thread......we're into labeling and accusations now.

ErnieGplus

Grip
Did poor bobby(thread starter) ever get his anwser after all this? My anwser to him is agian for the 10000000000 time hear them both in the listing position best suited for your room and see if you like the way either of them sounds first because in the outcome its your hard earned money buying it not some guy thats reccomneding it to you just cause he owns it. Ive heard subs from both brands from very differnt price ranges and to tell you the truth I dont like either one that Ive heard.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
LOL!!! Lets be realistic. Anyone who does not own an SVS and visit this forum is bombarded with SVS suggestions by not only members but also a sponcer or 2......can I give examples??.....No because they have been shut down and deleted but trus me....it happens. With that said, there is no reason at ALL for Peter to not ask if Hsu can advertise on this forum. I personaly hope HTF will pick them up as a sponcer and advertiser. They make a FANTASTIC product and Hsu has a GREAT amount of knowledge on subwoofer technology. I can post the names of some important people who learned a lot from them but it is not my business to do that.
Now before I can slammed....no I do not own Hsu or SVS....I would love to but the cash flow is not there. I am just been a member for a long time and am saying what I have observed. Your opinion may vary.

Alan M

Second Unit
I've been following this thread since poor Bobby asked for advice.

When I 1st joined HTF a couple of years ago,I came here because I knew,I would find people with a passion for HT and audio.Find them I did,and with out reservation I asked questions to learn and to recieve advice on different models and brands.

HTF members explained to me that although they may not agree on someone elses choices,that didnt make others choices wrong( did all those folks leave HTF?).All(ok,most) HTF members agree that what sounds best to your ears will be the right choice for you.
Why do we need to beat up brand A to make brand B look better?
What happened to the friendly open discussions on HTF?

Max F

Second Unit
HTF is biased towards SVS, but that's ok as long as everyone knows that. I've just put my mental filter on and try to forget about it. Its easier too since SVS seems to make very good subs (as well as HSU). I've learned alot from this forum and i try to focus on the possitives.

I just filter out all of the comments on:

1. How superduper stupendous SVS subwoofers are and how they've changed my life;
2. Bose Sucks! threads

After that I try to learn a thing or two from some really great folks on this forum. :)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I would agree totally with Max F statement above.... This thread has gone on way too long... let's let it die a fast death. SVS lovers enjoy and HSU lovers enjoy as that is what this is all about.

chrisCo

Grip
"The SVS guys may have a presence here on HTF, but they sure as hell would never post in a manner that assumes the readers are stupid. "

I'm so stupid I think this may be the most interesting thing to appear on this thread in about 130 posts. A representative of HSU is willing to publicly affirm that they have sought the opportunity to participate (in an economic way) in the forum and they further claim that they were refused the opportunity because of existing "relationships" between the forum and a manufacturer. Even better, there appears that there may exist an e-mail trail of the refusal.

This is huge, if this is false HSU just destroyed their credibility. If its true then it queers the entire forum. Statements like "Why not just say that all the owners of SV Subwoofers are getting paid by SVS to come on to this forum and talk up their product line?" can be easily responded to with why should they when all they have to do establish an advantageous relationship with the people that control the content and manage the participants in the forum? If the latter turns out to be true, don't worry about canceling my membership. If HSU cannot advertise with the forum because of an exclusive agreement with someone who might be considered a competitor they are my frigging heroes for bringing it up in a place where they can only ripped for it.

Up until this I was more than happy to accept the SVS enthusiasm to be honestly the result of an excellent product cultivating product loyalty and an engaged fan base. But now I'm not so sure. I look forward to this working its way to a conclusion.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Evan:

People are 'bombarded' by recommendations from people who are happy and enthusiastic about their audio gear. I can't speak for anyone else but myself, but I can assure you that when I order my next SVS (which I will be doing shortly) if it SUCKS then I'm sure as hell not going to be on here talking it up and bragging about it. I recommend to others based on what I have experienced with various audio gear, and I plan to continue doing that whether a handful of you continue with this "HTF is biased toward SVS" crap or not. I have no ulterior motives whatsoever, and I typically assume others are being just as sincere as I am.

As for Peter requesting ad space or whatever, clearly every other sponsor on this site has found their way to the proper channels with regard to obtaining ad space. If you are comfortable with someone treating others on here as if they're stupid, that's your issue, bro. I, for one, will speak up and call him out. There's no place for it here, and any business he may or may not have with Parker should not be part of a public forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks