What's new

Surrounds at different distance, delay settings? (1 Viewer)

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
My room requires that my surrounds be placed at different distances from the listening position. When setting delay should I use the distance from the nearest surround or the furthest. Settings are made in ft.
Thanks for any help
Later Haywood
cool.gif

------------------
Link Removed

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I have the same problem in my room, where the left surround is 8ft away and the right surround is 10ft. With careful tweaking (and the use of an SPL meter with Avia's phase tests), I found that 10ft was the better setting for my room. I would say the best thing to do would be to try it both ways (and even an average in between the two distances), with a movie that has a lot of front to surround pans. On mine, I used the scene at the end of Saving Private Ryan where the planes blow up the tank on the bridge.

george king

Supporting Actor
I believe the general rule of thumb is 1 ms per foot. So just adjust each speaker accordingly.
Hope this helps.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
George... not all receivers have seperate delay settings for each surround. Haywood has a single delay setting that applies to both surrounds (as I do), but the surrounds are not at equal distances from the listening position due to room issues. So yes, 1ms = roughly 1ft... but that's not what the question was. :)

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the response guys. Jeremy I have tried using the nearset speaker distance and the furthest speaker before. I really didn't notice a difference. I guess I might try phase tests that you recommended.
Any other ideas would be a help
Later Haywood
cool.gif

------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks