What's new

Questions about system calibration... (1 Viewer)

bit_boy

Grip
Real Name
Adam
Is it worth the trouble? I asked similar questions in my other post in Speakers & Subwoofers. I apologize for any possible cross-posting.

Here's what I've got so far. Sapphire SAT1500 speakers for surrounds, HSU STF-2 sub, Denon AVR-1604, Sony 32" TV, Sony 5 disc DVD/CD, & Dish Sat (not HD). The room is large (3800 cu. ft.) and odd shaped with all rooms connected to it. I have the couch near the back wall, and two large chairs on either side of the couch. The entertainment center is directly across from the couch.

I'm limited on where I can mount the rear surrounds due to a large window on the left side of the couch. Also, there is a bar with a large opening at the sink between the kitchen and living room. It looks like I'll have to mount the speakers in the corners of the room. If I mount them on the first available wall space ahead of the bar and opposite window, then the speakers will be well in front of the seating area.

Should I invest in the Radio Shack SPL meter and Avia DVD? It seems that everyone talks about it like it is the greatest thing since digital sound. Are these tools really that helpful (especially in a situation like mine)? I'm wondering if it will really make a difference or not if I am unable to move the speakers around. Or, maybe I misunderstand how these tools work?

My receiver has various settings for the sound delay from each speaker. It also has inputs for the distance to each speaker. It has the typical test tone stuff like most AV receivers. Will this be enough to set up my system? Can someone help me figure this out? I thought I was confused about what sub and speakers to buy. This is really stressing me out!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Adam.

Using a SPL meter is actually MORE important for odd-shaped rooms. It compensates for sitting at a different distance to each speaker, and non-symmetrical walls.

You can skip AVIA and use the internal test tones or rent either Avia or Video Essentials from Netflix. The setup DVD's are nice because they have a tutorial on how to do things. You can also find

Your ears are very good at telling differences - but nobody can level-adjust things without a meter.

You can get "Digital Video Essentials" for under $19 at Amazon or the "Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up" disk for $18 - both work quite well.

bit_boy

Grip
Real Name
Adam
Bob, thanks for the feedback. I was kind of thinking along those lines regarding the need for an SPL meter. I'll start looking around for one.

I think I'll start with the internal test tones and go from there. Part of your sentence in the second paragraph got cut off. You started off by saying "You can also find..." Was there more you wanted to say?

I really appreciate all the information and advice all the more experienced members are giving me. It really helps!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
What I ment to say was:

"You can also find some DVD movies with the THX Optimizer that I believe also has test-tones and simple color chart to help adjust your sound and video.".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks