What's new

surround speakers (1 Viewer)

Ganesh

Agent
I just got my aperion 5.1 system and so far I've been pretty impressed with it along with my Denon 2803 system. But I've a question regarding surround speaker placement. In our listening area there are no immediate enclosing walls on the rear left and right. So, the speakers will have to be mounted on the rear wall and have to be turned 60-90 degress to face the listening area. For that setup these speakers look a little too big to be the surround speakers. So, I'm thinking of getting small satellite speakers just for the surround left and rear speakers in the rear. Since the rears aren't that significant as the fronts and centers, I feel it's ok to give up the mid-range in these. Am I wrong? Is there any disadvantage of this kind of mix-match of speakers? And in such a setup will the H/K 525, because of its bass management, be a better receiver than the Denon 2803?

Thanks in advance.

Ganesh.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I have mismatched rears. I just bought a pair of Klipsch Quintets for the rear because I needed a small, efficient speaker to mount on my wall. IMO you don't HAVE to have the rears matched unless you are listening to music through them as well. Just my .02. As far as bass management, are you refering to the crossover? You can set it from 60, 80, 100, or 120 on the 2803 I believe. I'm not too sure about the 120 since I just switch back and forth from 80 and 100 from time to time.

JonathanOh

Agent
Match rears are a bonus but many live without them. BTW, you may want to play with the positioning to see what you like best. Dolby does not recomend pointed them directly at the listening position to create a more diffuse sound.

Ganesh

Agent
Sorry, I meant to say 'better bass management' on the H/K 525, 'cause I remember reading in more than post that the 525 has better management than other receivers. In Denon 2803 I can set for each of the speakers if large or small and set the crossover freq for the subwoofer. Does the H/K 525 provide better bass management than this? If it does, how is it better (and how better is it) ?
Regarding speaker placement, the aperion manual shows the left and right surrounds to face directly the viewers/listeners. I've seen this in other sites also. e.g.,

http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html

Thanks
Ganesh.

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I got the klipsch quintets to go with my fluance fronts. I needed a white pair. You can find them on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks