What's new

Surround speaker question (1 Viewer)

I'm a newbie to these forums, so please bear with me. I was thinking when I did my HT, I would use a SW and satellite set-up. However, I've been doing some reading, and since I plan on my system supplying music as well as movie sound, I'm thinking of scrapping my plans. Here's what I'm thinking:

I have a pair of Bose 401 floor speakers (don't flame me. I really LIKE them!) that sound great. I was thinking of keeping them as my main pair. I'd like to add a Klipsch RW10 SW, a Klipsch RC10 center, and a pair of Klipsch RS10 surrounds. I've also seen the term "timbre-matched" in reference to combining speakers. Can someone tell me if my plan is feasable? I have limited resources, so I don't want to break the bank on my set-up.

I'd also like to hear some opinions about the quality of what I've selected. I always been a fan of Klipsch speakers, and want my system to sound as good as possible (within reason on cost). I'll be spending around 1100 to 1200 on the new Klipsch speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
“Timbre matching” refers to all speakers being voiced the same. Typically this requires all speakers to be identical, or at least to be in the same “family” – say, a particular series or model line offered by a particular manufacturer.

I really couldn’t imagine anything being less timbre-matched than Bose and Klipsch. If you really like the 401’s and want to stick with them, I suggest locating a few more to round out your system. If they are out of production, I’m sure you can find some used ones on eBay.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

thanks Wayne. I was afraid that mixing the two wouldn't be a good idea. Just hated to "scrap" the 401's. Now I'll have to suck it up and just add some bucks to my budget to get matching fronts.

Thanks for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks