What's new

Surround sound (1 Viewer)

Cessna98

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I have an issue that has me stumped. I recently bought a LG TV 75UM80 along with a Yamaha sound bar ATS-1080. I am trying to run those through my Denon receiver AVR-S510BT. The sound bar is hooked into the optical port. I have 5:1 speakers (they are ancient Panasonics and will get replaced eventually, but still work). Problem is that I get no audio from the sound bar and only background audio from the other speakers. I'm trying to learn what to do since I am pretty new to this. Nothing I have done with the setup has worked. Anyone have any ideas?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That type of soundbar is specifically designed to be used instead of a receiver & speakers. There's no practical way, or reason, to use them both at the same time. So, there's no way they can both operate properly at the same time.

Cessna98

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I appreciate the response John. I connected the sound bar to the TV and have it working. Although the sound doesn't seem as good without the rear speakers working. Any thoughts on what I could use for rear speakers? Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The entire concept of a soundbar is you don't use rear speakers. Some have wireless rear speakers, which don't tend to work very well, but I think to get what you want, you need a surround receiver and regular speakers.

Cessna98

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Alright thanks John. I appreciate the help. AV is definitely not my forte. I guess I will have to look for new surround sound speakers

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sometimes people use both types of setup, but not both at the same time. They use the soundbar for just regular TV watching, because they don't want to go to the "trouble" of turning on the receiver. Then when they watch a movie, they mute the soundbar and turn on the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks