What's new

Surround Sound Speaker Placement (1 Viewer)

Robert.CB

Agent
Hello all,

I am running in-wall speaker wire and was wondering what the correct placement would be for surround sound speakers. I will have two rows of seats about 3-4 feet apart. Would the surrounds be placed on the walls directly in the middle of the two rows or would they be placed elsewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Robert

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would place them on the sides at the rear of the last seating row.

This is a primo candidate for 7.1 with 9 speakers though.

But with 5.1 that is what I would do, on the sides at the rear of the rear most seating postition.

Robert.CB

Agent
Hello,

Thanks for the response. I was planning on doing a 7.1 system. When you said 9 speakers, are you saying to use a surround speaker for each row by splitting the signal coming from the receiver?

Thanks,
Robert

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Robert:

When you say 3-4 ft apart, is that the audiences' heads that are that far apart while seated? Or is that the distance from the back of the front seats to the front of the rear seats (ie 3-4 ft leg room)?
of course, it's better to keep seat closer together so calibration level is relatively the same for everybody.

Either way, I wouldn't use 9. Especially if your room is wide. If you wanted to, yes you would have to split the signal.

Which is why I'm a proponent (sp?) of the bipolar surrounds that fire at 45 deg. I don't do 5.1 music so don't start a mono vs bipolar surrpound speaker war, in case someone was inclined to do so.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well on many 7.1 AVR's you get the choice of using different A / B speakers for your side surrounds, supposedly for different sound modes.

What I have founbd on these receivers is they also offert the option A+B for any given surround mode.

they of course run off of the same (Left/Right Rear Side channels).

On long rooms like mine, I have found that using this to creat the classic Theater setup when there is mulitple rows to be just about the greatest thing since sliced bread. lol

That is the way I currently run my system. So 9 speaker 7.1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks