What's new

Surround Back Distance Question (1 Viewer)

Douglas*B

Auditioning
Hello,

As I am trying to build a Home Theater room while my Denon AVR-5800 is getting upgraded to THX Ultra2 and so forth, I am trying to find out the best location for the back speakers before I construct and cut holes in the wall for wiring. The wall I will mount the speakers on is 12ft wide and 7ft behind me and I was planning to mount them 4ft apart and 4ft from the side walls. I am using Def Tech BP2X bipolar speakers (total of four speakers) for both surround and surround back channels. I know they say you are supposed to mount the speakers as close together as possible, but I am wondering since these speakers are bipolar if I wouldn't get a little better soundfield if I mounted them as above. If anyone has a similar setup or is using dipoles or bipoles for these speakers, please let me know your advice.

Thanks,

Doug

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Douglas,I have the exact speakers on my sides and rear wall.I'm waiting for my Rotel pre-pro as well so I can't comment on the sound,but I did the same spacing as you.Putting BP's next to each other seems strange to me.

John H

Second Unit
I am using 4 Def Tech BPVX bipolar speakers for my rear soundfield. On the sides directly across from the listening position and two on the rear wall spaced 8 ft apart. This spacing distance produces a very anchored phantom rear center in my room. Maybe if I was using monopoles on the rear wall (THX Ultra2 recommended I believe) closer spacing would produce better results.

I had been using them in a 5.1 system. I recently replaced my pre/pro with a Pioneer 49TX for the newer sound formats, MCACC etc... In my opinion this configuration still works very well with THX Ultra2, EX/ES

When setting up the THX menu it gives you two choices of back surround spacing.
Less than 4ft or greater than 4ft

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks