What's new

Surge Protection/Line Conditioner (1 Viewer)

Steve_E_P

Auditioning
I currently have about 5 or 6K invested in my home theater system, and I'm looking for a good surge protector/line conditioner. Currently I have a monster power strip that is about 3 years old that I would like to use somewhere else. From researching these forums and elsewhere it seems that the Panamax 5100 is a safe bet. I was also considering the Monster HTS2600, but I haven't been able to find any reviews or opinions on it anywhere. I want to stay in the $300/$350 price range, so anything higher is out of the question. So before I go off to order the 5100, does anyone have any experience with the Monster HTS2600? It seems from reading these forums that Monster really is getting some negative feedback on some of their power centers, whereas Panamax hardly has any at all. I always considered Monster to be a superior brand until I read these forums, and now I am starting to second guess their products. I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions you guys could throw out about these two products. Also is www.powersystemsdirect.com or Link Removed a good, reputable place to purchase these units? Thanks...

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Steve, welcome to the forum, and sorry about the reply delay.

Panamax 5100 is a well-designed unit and makes a nice power center. The dealer you list is an authorized one and gives a nice discount. I've spoken with them on the phone several times, and they are responsive.

The 5100 cost includes a delay power-on feature for those with separate monoblock amplifiers or several units with power supplies that they like to spread out the current draw as everything is turned on from one wall outlet. You may not need this feature.

In such case, I would look at Panamax MAX 8 COAX for under $90 instead. It's more of a "put it on the carpet behind the tv stand" type of box compared to the black modular unit or rack mount style.

Both have the same AC line noise filter and the $5million connected equipment warrantys. The 5100 offers slightly more surge/spike clamping capacity, but the Max 8 COAX still meets minimal (and this is fine) standards for this purpose.

One thing that makes me more comfortable about Panamax over Monster, is Panamax publishes its data specifications, which Monster does not.

DerekM

Agent
I recently purchased my Panamax 4300 from etronics.com for 120.00. It looks nice in my A/V rack ;) I was very impressed with the build quality, and the overall performance of the unit.

Steve_E_P

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies guys....I ordered the Panamax m5100 earlier this week and it is supposed to arrive on Monday...Now it's time to finish building my home theater setup...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks