What's new

Superman Rebooted (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd go with Zak. All things point to WATCHMAN actually being good, and he seems to understand how to translate comics to movies (basically, treat the source material with respect). Bay would just make another big empty headed action movie.

And I hope they go a little older with the casting of Superman. SR played like a high school theatrical version with 16 year olds playing adults.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Oh I hope its not 5' 7" McAvoy i see him as a Bruce Banner type not Superman!

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Maybe Warners could move Routh to the Captain Marvel movie? That would be cool.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

That was Hancock... which grossed more than Superman Returns.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
If Bryan Singer gets the boot, I really don't want to see Michael Bay anywhere near the Man of Steel. Yes, Bay's movies make a lot of money, but is there a big-budget action film director more critically reviled than Bay? His movies are pure eye candy without an ounce of substance and that's not what Superman needs in a cinematic reboot. A character with a seventy-year legacy does not need to be the center of a mindless action movie.

The Batman reboot has been successful largely because of Christopher Nolan's thoughtful approach to the character. Nolan is not a hack-for-hire like the Bays, Ratners or Sommers of the world and his gritty vision of Batman has been wholeheartedly embraced by audiences and critics.

Don't get me wrong: as much as I enjoyed Superman Returns, I would like to see an action-oriented Superman film with one of his classic villains (Brainiac, Mongul, Darkseid, etc.). I just want an intelligent script and a talented director, who respects the character, behind the camera. I'd still like to see Singer and Routh return, but if not, please, Warner, give us a filmmaker and script for a Superman movie that will make a lot of money and thrill moviegoers!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have to vote no on a Millar-based Superman film. Millar talks a good game (because he is endlessly self-promoting himself), but if you actually paid attention to how much of the comic mini-series "Wanted" actually made it into the Wanted film, you'd find very little from the original material made it. I wish I found his comic book writing stimulating, but I don't, he's just lucky to have super-star artists drawing most of the comics he writes.

Michael Bay would bring the wrong directorial tone to the project.

I would love to see what Alfonso Cuaron, David Fincher, or Darren Aronofsky could do on a fairly sizable budget and great script. I think any of these directors would produce great cinema.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

It would be funny if Snyder was the guy under consideration because as I recall he's said that he was never a superhero guy growing up, that he was more into reading Heavy Metal and independent comics, and that he's hoping his Watchmen movie will murder classic superheroes on film.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Since Watchmen hasn't even come out. I'll wait to judge that before I want him on Superman.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
For a second there I thought that interview was with our own Chuck Mayer since he's stated his desire to see Superman 'punch' someone. ;)

I loved the story of SR. The story has to be good or the 'punching' won't matter.

Rolando

Screenwriter
For what it's worth (not much since opinions are a dime a dozen) I thought SR was pretty good yet so bad I refuse to see it again. I think Superman deserves a reboot.

SR had great touching moments. the airplane rescue was terrific. the bullet in the eye one of the best moments of any superman movie. Superman on top of the world listening for trouble... so many good moments.

Superman as a dead beat dad... stupid, stupid, stupid. All all the heroes in all the world you make Clark Kent father a child out of wedlock? Are you kidding?

I am by no means a prude but I could even picture spidey with bastard child before goodie 2-shoes superman.

Just my 2 cents.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

To be fair to Singer, he was playing off of events in Donner's Superman 2 movie, where Superman loses his powers and it's heavily implied (it's been ages since I've seen the movie so I can't recall the details) that Clark and Lois sleep together before he regains his powers. The kid is the result of that.

Not saying it's the right decision, but it didn't just come totally out of the blue. But that's part of the problem with making a "sequel" to the Donner movies instead of putting his own mark on the film.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Exclusive: DC Comics President Gives Superman Update - Movie News - Latest Movie Reviews and trailers

The only thing better than living in New York, is being at a party in New York. I was out on the town this past Monday night with my partners in crime El Mayimbe and Ron Henriques at the special WATCHMEN presentation that was scheduled for a hand full of media outlets. The footage we watched to me was very good. It had its moments. I definitely believe just like SIN CITY, you will either love it or hate it. I loved the opening sequence explaining the creation and the rise of the Minutemen, which quite frankly blew me away! It was that good. And honestly while I’ve never read the book, I must say I was inspired to immediately go out and buy one just so I am up to speed.

Anyhow, the real action didn’t happen inside the screening, but rather outside of it. While mingling around with guest and watching my partner in crime sneak food into his Latin pockets, I saw the one and only Paul Levitz, the President of DC Comics. I walked over to him and had a moment to hang out and chat with him briefly. I could not keep my mouth shut and had to ask the questions that Latino readers are asking. So I went in straight for the kill.

“So Paul, what the fuck is happening with Superman?” Well not in those words actually. Paul looked over both shoulders like he was about to score some basura and said that things are still brewing.

In fact, he told me that “Last week Brandon Routh has come around the offices in New York and Los Angeles as of late to talk about Superman and what we want to do”……blah blah blah!

At first I thought it was the Apple Martini I was drinking but I soon realized that I just heard a bombshell go off in my brain! Brandon? He did say Brandon Routh was coming around talking about Superman! Why the hell would they be talking to Brandon if he was not going to be part of the reboot? Because he’s still in the mix!!!

The truth of the matter is that the way Mr. Levitz made it seem is that they love Brandon as Clark Kent and that he’s just a great guy, which I agree. I mean remember we at Latino Review told EVERYONE he was going to be the next Superman.

At that point my instincts kicked in and I continued with the questions. “What about Batman 3? You guys must be going crazy over the success of that film.” Paul pulls the cocktail shrimp from his mouth just enough to see him smile. I asked when were they going to get this Superman reboot done and he gave me a look like he was about to tell me the answers to the mysteries of the world. “Everyone is waiting for Nolan to sign on for another Batman, once that happens, the release date for Superman and all other future projects will follow.”

I could not believe my ears! Not only did my partner in crime blast wind next to me, but basically Superman’s future hangs in the balance until we have a concrete signature on the Batman contracts! The party was getting good, and the drinks were flowing making this just as easy as prom night picking. So I pressed with my questions. “What about Green Lantern and Supermax? How is that moving along?” Paul continued that Green Lantern was actually moving faster than Supermax, which to me makes sense because the Green Lantern script was badass!! If you do not remember the review we did, here it is again. The party went into the night, and the drinks continued to flow, finally I knew I had to leave as soon as my partner in crime started to stumble all over the place, looking kind of green in the face.

As of now just a few moments ago another inside source confirmed that yes they are waiting for Chris Nolan to sign the deal with the next Batman, and that they want him to commit to a July 2011 release. If that happens then the following superhero films will be released.

Green Lantern Summer 2010
Batman 3 Summer 2011
New Superman reboot Summer 2012

Also in the mix is THE FLASH.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Thumbs up on Routh's involvement, but six years between films? That's a bad move, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks