1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Superman Rebooted

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Aug 22, 2008.

1. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Yea Zod kicked ass[​IMG]

But that was 17 yeas ago and I dont want to wait 17 more to see another decent Superman villian.

2. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I was totally against the idea of an origin story, but I don't know anymore. If done in a way that gives its own spin on the character and lays the groundwork for a new franchise, I'd love to see it now.

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Thanks for digging up the link Jon.
    It's interesting to note how they have already cannibalized it for SR. Though I dislike the film as a whole greatly, those two sequences (the lois mid-air plane rescue; Superman going to a remote location to listen for a distant cry for help) were 100% on target and two of the best live-action Superman sequences I've ever seen.
    I agree that much (most) of the rest sounds woefully wrongheaded, and I don't want to see it either. But I stand by the belief that a film soley dedicated to the last days of Krypton could be HUGE without even one typical Superman in action money shot. I used this reference earlier but for anyone that skimmed over or missed it, just think about this- Krypton's stages of destruction can be played out just like the sinking of the Titanic, with all the attendant 'coping' of an inevitable death on display-shock, denial, anger, bargaining, and acceptance yet on an even more epic scale. You could even utilize a teen-age Kara and her boyfriend/crush as Jack and Rose homages.

If I could make the pitch to Rubinov it would be framed like this "what do you get when you cross Star Wars with Titanic? Answer: the first film in a new Superman franchise"

4. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Like it or not, we're probably going to have not only an origin story, but a new suit (or suits) for the next movie. Given all the money that WB sank into SR, the film under-performed both at the box office and in terms of merchandise sales.

I'm just hoping that the studio doesn't drop the ball again and delivers a great movie. There are going to be things we hear in the coming months that get everyone all riled up and worried about the plot and where WB is going with it, but we won't really know until we see the end result in 2010.

Fingers crossed.

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Terry, is this farther along than Justice League was before they pulled the plug on it?

Have they set in stone a release date map for this and the other character movies, or is it still a little more fluid in this aspect on the DC side compared to Marvels.

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

QFT!!!

I think they can avoid the origin story this way. During the credit run artwork by Alex Ross showing his origin. With regards to Lex Luthor. He has to be in the movie. But, not as the main antagonist. What makes Lex so bad in the comics. Is that Supes knows he is behind a lot of bad stuff. But, since he keeps a "safe" distance. He is not able to get in trouble. So have something where Lexcorp creates Metallo or Parasite or somehow contacts Brainiac. And they are the main villain Supes fights.

With regards to Superman Returns. It makes a great bookend to the first two Donner films.

7. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Paul, right now all WB has is a list of "wants" that they feel "need" to be in the movie (i.e. trilogy). JL was a lot farther along in that they had both a script and the movie was fully cast before the plug was pulled. The studio has zeroed in on who they want to both write and direct the movie, but they won't reveal who until they have official deals. Singer is still said to be in the mix, but I think the powers-that-be want him out.

The studio is set on what they want in the movie and what they don't want, it's just a matter of finding the right script. They are also hoping to get the ball rolling as fast as possible and get this one in theaters for a summer 2010 release, they really want to avoid having it open the same summer as now only Nolan's third Batman flick, but 'Captain America' and 'The Avengers" are also set for the summer of 2011.

WB's best case scenario is having both 'Superman' and "Green Lantern" hitting theaters in the summer of 2010, with the next Batman flick and "The Flash" opening in 2011. "Green Arrow"/"Super Max" could end up being a pre-summer release in either 2010 or 2011.

In any case, WB knows where they want to go with the new Superman and I believe they've either chosen who is going to do it or they're very close in making that decision. Whatever the case may be, the studio will show its hand sometime next month.

Stay tuned...

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Thanks Terry.
    Damn, but that seems awful rushed to me. Sometimes intense pressure creates diamonds, and even more often it creates roadkill. I wouldn't mind seeing these properties thoughtfully gestate and giving Marvel a chance to play its hand and then learn from their mistakes (which they are bound to make).
    If Superman comes first, and they are still serious about eventually leading up to a Justice League movie, Green Lantern, for just one example, needs to be intelligently integrated into a world that contains a Superman. Putting aside Krypton- if Superman existed as Pete and others have hypothesized, the government would be gunning for him at least covertly. Hal Jordan would likely be working for what would be a defense contractor, who is supplying a military which has a superman-is-a-national security threat mindset. Therefore when he got the ring, that background should inform his view and dialouge should be there to acknowledge the ambivilence about Supermans real intentions until Jordan sees proof otherwise. It shouldn't be taken for granted that all the heroes know instinctively without doubt on first sight that the others have nothing but good intentions. And if not fear or distrust, there is always pride that can be a barrier to get over before cooperation can be achieved.
    Put simply, these all have to be informed by the story contributions of the others or there is no cohesion for a future JL film.

That's a big reason I don't want to see these rushed out like this.
    You paint one figure into the landscape, and that landscape becomes fundementally altered for the next character, and so on and so on.
    What might start out as public suspicion in the first Superman movie, could escalate to outright hostility by the time Flash shows up- and if the public isn't hostile, there is the risk that they become lazy, careless, and docile because now there are super powered beings to tend them like sheep.

At the end of the day, I just want to see these properties treated like serious speculative sci-fi or fantasy concepts, and accorded thoughtful respect- not just crapped out to supply some cheap visceral video game style thrills.

9. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

I agree with you.

There's a chance the new Superman movie won't hit theaters until 2011, but WB still wants a big tentpole release in 2010 other than 'Harry Potter'. The hope is a double superhero bill, but both "Green Lantern" and "Green Arrow" are both farther along than Superman is (both have completed scripts that the brass think highly of).

Then again, WB could have already found the right script and the right director and are just finalizing shooting details. Again, the studio will reveal their plans sometime next month.

Don't forget that the studio was thinking reboot long before they announced it to the public, so they've been planning this for a while. The success of TDK just lit a fire under their collective asses to really get the ball rolling on getting serious about DC's superhero properties.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Definitely. They've probably been thinking about this since SR's first lackluster weekend, so I doubt they're just now starting from scratch.

11. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

That's true, but the final nail in the coffin was the lackluster DVD release. WB thought (hoped) the DVD sales would generate (much) stronger numbers than they did. "Batman Begins" had a solid performance at the box office, but a much stronger one on DVD. The studio wanted the same thing to happen for SR.

The sales were nowhere near what the studio wanted, hence why they nixed Bryan Singer's "Director's Cut" Special Edition. While Singer, the studio, and Routh were all saying the right things publicly (Singer's 'Wrath of Khan'-like sequel), internally WB was thinking of starting from scratch because SR didn't make them the money they thought it would.

With the massive box office performance of TDK, there is now a sense of urgency at the studio to mine DC's properties for all their worth. First order of business is to make a Superman movie that does for the franchise what "Batman Begins" did for the Dark Knight.

Long story short, the studio is now willing to pay whatever it takes to bring the "right" Superman movie to the big screen. Yes, they shelled out hundreds of millions on several starts and stops since the mid '90s, but they now have a more solid vision of the type of movie they want.

It'll be very interesting to see exactly who the studio chooses to make the movie if Singer is indeed out.

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Batman Begins offered some things we hadent seen before. The 89 film skipped over the origin. Plus 2 villians we hadent seen on film yet.

We just had 8 seasons of Smallville. Donners film showed us his origin perfectly. If you asked anyone on the street what Supermans origin is, they could tell you. The same cant be said about Batman before BB.

I really wish WB would reconsider. A reboot reeks of desperation after the disappointment of SR. Its no different that what going on with Star Trek. Gee, we dont know what to do or where to go so let go back to the beginning.

You want to have people forget that SR was disappointing,then make a killer sequel.Like BB after the previous disappointments, people will eventually show up. Word of mouth can make or kill a film. If the reboot is a disappointment - theyll be fucked.

13. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

I'll bet dollars to donughts, Doomsday will be in the next Superman movie, or at least set up in the next Superman film.

They just do the '89 Batman route ... which just started with Batman as Batman already.

14. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

WB is exploring every avenue to take. A complete reboot with a major portion of the movie focusing on Krypton, Smallville, and the Fortress. A sequel to SR, which Singer continues to insist will be "action packed". A "partial" reboot that begins with either Superman's training or his "first night" in Metropolis and tell his backstory in flashbacks. And so on, and so on.

WB has looked at every possible story option for the next movie and now they're concentrating on locating the best script to fill their needs. The studio has decided what they want, whether it's one of the above choices or something else is not known, but they do know where they want the story to go.

15. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Well if they do use Doomsday and use the Death of Superman storyline. The funeral scene would make for a great cameo Bale as Batman. Sort of like the Sam L. Jackson scene in Iron Man and the Robert Downey scene in Hulk

16. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Like what Marvel is doing with the various cameos (there will also be one in "Thor", and probably another in "Iron Man II"), expect WB/DC to do the same thing with their upcoming slate of superhero flicks, minus Nolan's third Batman movie.

EDIT
    It seems that there is already talk about who is going to be the lead FX house on the movie. The general consensus is that it's going to be either ILM or Weta. I am expecting both Digital Domain and Sony Pictures Imageworks to toss their hats into the ring as well since the new Superman movie promises to be huge. Also expect a lot of competition on "Green Lantern". The script the studio wants to go with will require a massive amount of FX work.

17. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

Same here. Wow. Out of pocket for a week and just Wow. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Routh was Superman in every way.

I am speechless.

18. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Has anyone ever thought that maybe, just maybe, Superman has had his day? If Superman Returns had a darker or better story, would it really have brought out the masses? I liked Superman and Superman II but I've never seen Superman Returns and I have no desire. It has nothing to do with the story, because I haven't even read up on the movie. I've just sort of grown tired of a man from another planet, who fly's and can do just about anything. The reason Batman works is because it has a hero you can relate to and (now) takes place in a world you can relate to.

I think Warner is going to be surprised when they release all these dark super hero movies and then find out the real reason Dark Knight was so phenomenally popular was because of Heath Ledger’s performance; coupled with his tragic death.

Jeff

19. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I think fans of the comics are overthinking what the studio wants. If their intent is to rip off Batman, then chances are it will simply be "Superman versus the mob". Period.

20. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

The same kind of questions were coming out about Batman though when Batman & Robin sunk the franchise. Even when Batman Begins didn't make as much as the previous films (with inflation and minus the fourth). Was the character's popularity waning? And look at the character now. I think the same can be said for Superman. There's plenty of people who are fans of Superman.. he's still arguably the most popular and well known superhero of all time around the world. This isn't a situation of the first Hulk. Superman Returns might've come in under expectations at the Box Office but it still made 200 M in North America.. that's still pretty high compared with Fantastic Four or Hulk. A Superman movie most definitely has the capabilities in making over 300 M and in the big leagues of Spider-Man and Dark Knight as long as the movie warrants it. I think Superman is more relevant NOW than ever before.. as long as the filmmakers portray him the right way. This film should be epic on every scale.