What's new

Supergirl - season 6 (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Production to start next week pending concerning getting Canadians to agree to follow SAG testing guidelines. On a positive note Supergirl will have more episodes this final season than any of the other CW DC Universe shows. They are starting to film earlier than originally planned. Melissa Benoist will not start filming until later due to maternity leave. They will initially film around her.

If the CW still plans to hold the show until March, maybe they will split the season and air 10 episodes from March till May and hold the final 10 for next fall. Rather it air in the Fall than over the summer.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The final season will debut Tuesday, March 30th at 9/8c:
The CW Press Release said:
“SUPERGIRL” RETURNS TO THE CW SCHEDULE THIS SPRING,KICKING OFF ITS FINAL
SEASON STARTING TUESDAY, MARCH 30

80ac45ca6f6a6e4e371fc4cb4337cde9.jpg

“SUPERGIRL” RETURNS TO THE CW SCHEDULE THIS SPRING, KICKING OFF ITS FINAL SEASON
STARTING TUESDAY, MARCH 30

Supergirl” To Air First Part of Sixth and Final Season While “Superman & Lois” Takes Brief Hiatus

Superman & Lois” Returns Tuesday, May 18 at 9pm
PEOPLE Presents: Harry & Meghan’s American Dream” Moves to Thursday, March 25 at 8pm

March 5, 2021 (Burbank, CA) – The CW’s Tuesday will become even more superpowered when SUPERMAN & LOIS gets a helping hand from their Kryptonian cousin this spring as SUPERGIRL soars onto action, returning to The CW’s schedule to kick off the first part of her sixth and final season on Tuesday, March 30 (9:00-10:00pm ET/PT).

The recently renewed freshman hit SUPERMAN & LOIS will go on a brief hiatus from The CW schedule due to a COVID-related production interruption earlier this season. SUPERMAN & LOIS will return to complete its first season on Tuesday, May 18 (9:00-10:00pm ET/PT), and SUPERGIRL will complete her final season later this summer.

SUPERGIRL is an action-adventure drama based on the DC character Kara Zor-El, (Melissa Benoist). Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton and was sent to Earth where she was raised by a foster family. Kara grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex (Chyler Leigh), and learned to conceal the phenomenal powers she shares with her famous cousin, Superman, in order to keep her identity a secret. Years later, Kara was living in National City and still concealing her powers, when a plane crash threatened Alex’s life and Kara took to the sky to save her. Now, Kara balances her work as a reporter for CatCo Worldwide Media with her work as Supergirl, keeping National City and the Earth safe from sinister threats. She’s joined in this pursuit of justice by her sister, Alex, her mentor, Martian Manhunter (David Harewood) and her friends Brainiac-5 (Jesse Rath), Dreamer (Nicole Maines), Kelly Olsen (Azie Tesfai), and Lena Luthor (Katie McGrath). As Kara struggles to navigate her relationships and her life as a reporter, her heart soars as she takes to the skies as Supergirl! Based on characters from DC created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, SUPERGIRL is from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti (“Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Riverdale”), Sarah Schechter (“Arrow,” “The Flash”), Robert Rovner (“Private Practice,” “Dallas”), Jessica Queller (“Gilmore Girls,” “Gossip Girl,” “Felicity”) and Rob Wright (“Charmed,” “Lethal Weapon”).

As a result of the schedule change, PEOPLE PRESENTS: HARRY & MEGHAN’S AMERICAN DREAM will now air Thursday, March 25 (8:00-9:00pm ET/PT). PEOPLE PRESENTS: HARRY & MEGHAN’S AMERICAN DREAM follows the lives of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle who stunned the world by existing royal life. One year later, they are very much living the American dream with multimillion-dollar streaming deals and a California mansion to call home with two-year old Archie. But a personal tragedy and ongoing tensions with brother Prince William and Kate have at times clouded their first year of freedom. This one-hour special will trace Harry and Meghan’s journey from royalty to celebrity.

The following is The CW’s updated schedule reflecting these changes. All times ET/PT:

THURSDAY, MARCH 25
8:00-9:00pm PEOPLE PRESENTS: HARRY & MEGHAN’S AMERICAN DREAM (All-New Special)
9:00-10:00pm LEGACIES (Original Episode)

TUESDAY, MARCH 30
8:00-9:00pm THE FLASH (Original Episode)
9:00-10:00pm SUPERGIRL (Season Premiere)

TUESDAY, MAY 18
8:00-9:00pm THE FLASH (Original Episode)
9:00-10:00pm SUPERMAN & LOIS (Original Episode)

Media Contacts:
SUPERGIRL

Suzanne Gomez, [email protected]

SUPERMAN & LOIS
Cyndee Ellefson, [email protected]

PEOPLE PRESENTS: HARRY & MEGHAN’S AMERICAN DREAM
Jodi Karp, [email protected]

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

The season premiere will be Tuesday, March 30, following The Flash. Superman & Lois is taking a pause due to a Covid thing happening on set, so Supergirl will be filling in for a while. Superman & Lois should be back on schedule on May 18. Not sure what happens with Supergirl at that point.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Trailer for "Supergirl "Season 6. Show premieres March 30th at 9:00 PM replacing "Superman and Lois" until mid May. "Supergirl "will then complete its final season at a time to be announced sometime over the summer. It sucks that the CW is treating "Supergirl" like it was the back up show for "Superman and Lois" with an interrupted final season. Perhaps "Stargirl" will replace "The Flash" when it finishes it's season and "Supergirl" will again replace "Superman and Lois" when their season is finished.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
From an EW interview with Melissa Benoist

Given your maternity leave, how much of you will we see in the first half of the season?
I came back from maternity leave in January and I had some catch up to do. So, I'm not absent from the first part of the season, but I'm in a different place. Supergirl is quite isolated.

They are doing a two part flashback episode with young Kara, Alex, and Cat Grant, which were filmed during her maternity leave where if she appears, it will be brief. Chyler Leigh directed one of the episodes and Melissa mentioned she wasn't there when asked how it was being directed by her.

I assume she will be prominent in the first episode and then be removed from everyone at the end of it. Probably just a longer version of when she appeared on Broadway and was not available to be Supergirl for a few episodes or when they did the crossovers and were not available to be on their own shows much for an episode.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Man, going from "Superman & Lois" last week to "Supergirl" this week really emphasized this show's shortcomings. I'm sure Robert Rovner and Jessica Queller are decent people who are lovely to work for, but the show never recovered when they took over as showrunners. "Superman & Lois" has way better production values than "Supergirl", but the bigger gap is that the characters on "Superman & Lois" talk with each other, while the characters on this show talk at each other.

Jon Cryer continues to be a delight as Lex Luthor, however; ever scene he's in feels like he strolled in from a different show. I appreciate the way that he recognizes how his obsession with Kryptonians has foiled his ambitions over and over again, but he just can't help himself.

My more general, ongoing complaints aside, this episode had other things working against it -- namely, that it had to wrap up the Season 5 storylines that got cut short by COVID. This was by no means the only awkwardly structured premiere because of that. But the shared universe did work against this episode a bit; Lex is about to kill off half the planet, and they don't have enough flying heroes to take out all of the satellites. But Superman can fly, and Black Lightning can fly, and Lightning can fly. Given the scale of the threat, the only explanation for not calling in reinforcements was production constraints.

I do hope that, with "Supergirl" ending this season, we get to see Cryer's Lex and David Harewood's Martian Manhunter pop up on "Superman & Lois" in future seasons.

Shunting Supergirl into the Phantom Zone provided a nice way to segregate Melissa Benoist from the rest of the cast so that production could continue while she was on maternity leave, with her stuff easy to insert later.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
My more general, ongoing complaints aside, this episode had other things working against it -- namely, that it had to wrap up the Season 5 storylines that got cut short by COVID. This was by no means the only awkwardly structured premiere because of that. But the shared universe did work against this episode a bit; Lex is about to kill off half the planet, and they don't have enough flying heroes to take out all of the satellites. But Superman can fly, and Black Lightning can fly, and Lightning can fly. Given the scale of the threat, the only explanation for not calling in reinforcements was production constraints.

I do hope that, with "Supergirl" ending this season, we get to see Cryer's Lex and David Harewood's Martian Manhunter pop up on "Superman & Lois" in future seasons.

Shunting Supergirl into the Phantom Zone provided a nice way to segregate Melissa Benoist from the rest of the cast so that production could continue while she was on maternity leave, with her stuff easy to insert later.
I thought it was a decent wrap-up of Season 5, though a bit rushed being probably two or three episodes in one. I actually didn't think about the other heroes. They did qualify things in the episode saying that they would need extreme coordination to take out all the satellites at once. So, even with other flying heroes they probably couldn't pull it off.

Yes, I hope we see some of the characters appear on to Superman & Lois.

Shunting her off to the Phantom Zone makes practical sense. I am looking forward to seeing how they move on from here.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
[snippage ensues]

Back in the day, there was a letter in the letter column of the Fantastic Four comic when some Cosmic Menace (probably Galactus, but I don't recall exactly) threatened NYC. The letter-writer wondered why it was only the FF dealing with it, and not the Avengers, Spider-Man, Daredevil, or any and every other superhero in New York pitching in. The response was, basically, that the reader just needs to assume that the other heroes are involved in their own battles at the moment. I've just never concerned myself with why there aren't more character crossovers than there are. Plus, budgets. The more superheroes you have in a given episode, the higher the budget's going to be. I'd rather things be like they are now, rather than not having any Major Threat stories because they can't afford to have more crossovers. (The "One Chicago" shows can get away with numerous brief crossover appearances of characters because there's no SFX involved.)

With that in mind, Supergirl going into the Zone also explains why she's not guesting in Superman & Lois.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Since they are all on the same Earth now the CW DC shows should avoid worldwide events except during crossovers as it makes no sense that the characters from the other shows aren't there to help out. You just have to go with it but why wouldn't Barry, Cisco, and Kaitlin help locate Kara. Why wouldn't Superman help.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Since they are all on the same Earth now the CW DC shows should avoid worldwide events except during crossovers as it makes no sense that the characters from the other shows aren't there to help out. You just have to go with it but why wouldn't Barry, Cisco, and Kaitlin help locate Kara. Why wouldn't Superman help.

Because they had to deal with "Mirror Monarch" who was trying to replace everyone in Central City with pod people? And now they're apparently dealing with beings on the level of the Speed Force. And Superman was dealing with emergencies in nuclear reactors.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The CW's summer schedule has been announced . After May 11th Spring Finale Supergirl doesn't return until Tuesday August 24th which is nuts. They should have saved the final season until the Fall and run it then. This break is almost as long as a between seasons break over 3 months.

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 23
8 pm KUNG FU (Original Episode)
9 pm IN THE DARK (New Season Premiere Date)

SUNDAY, JULY 11
8 pm DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (Original Episode)
9 pm WELLINGTON PARANORMAL (Series Debut)
9:30 pm WELLINGTON PARANORMAL (Original Episode)

THURSDAY, JULY 15
8 pm WALKER (Original Episode)
9 pm CORONER (Season Premiere)

SUNDAY, JULY 18
8 pm DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (Original Episode)
9 pm WELLINGTON PARANORMAL (Original Episode)
9 pm DEAD PIXELS (Season Premiere)

MONDAY, JULY 26
8 pm ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO (Season Premiere)
9 pm THE REPUBLIC OF SARAH (Original Episode)

TUESDAY, AUGUST 10
8 pm DC’S STARGIRL (Season Premiere)
9 pm SUPERMAN & LOIS (Original Episode)

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 11
8 pm RIVERDALE (Original Episode)
9 pm IN THE DARK (Original Episode)

FRIDAY, AUGUST 13
8 pm MASTERS OF ILLUSION (Season Premiere)
8:30 pm MASTERS OF ILLUSION (Encore Episode)
9 pm DYNASTY (Original Episode)

THURSDAY, AUGUST 19
8 pm BURDEN OF TRUTH (Season Premiere)
9 pm CORONER (Original Episode)

TUESDAY, AUGUST 24
8:00-9:00pm DC’S STARGIRL (Original Episode)
9:00-10:00pm SUPERGIRL (Original Episode)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I thought tonight's episode was a waste of time. It seemed like they couldn't think of a plot to sustain a full episode so they resorted to a plot device to delay the mission until it was time for the episode to end. Show resumes in 3 months for it's last episodes. Honestly without the delay the episode could have been over in 5 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks