What's new

Super Mario Bros. (2023) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Tonight, 8 pm. I know what my expectations are (spoiler alert: I'm not expecting Citizen Kane or The Godfather)...just looking for a good time. I don't care if the movie is a glorified commercial for the games or anything. Just give me some bright, colorful fun and we should be happy...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm committed to going on Friday. The Mario World is the biggest thing in the world for one of my kids, and he's been looking forward to this the way I looked forward to The Empire Strikes Back when I was his age.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've watched the trailers and ot looks like a for the fans type of film; although, apparently, even they have been complaining about the voice acting and a "woke soundtrack". Whatever the f*** that is supposed to mean.
We're not going there! Any post that makes further comment about that will be deleted.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just got back from an IMAX showing. Surprised it wasn’t in 3D

It was OK I guess. Exactly as advertised I would say. Lots of kids in the audience but not a lot of laughter. Surprisingly quiet audience.

I would give it 2 1/2 stars out of 4.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Unfortunately IMAX is showing very few films in 3D, and when they do, it’s often only one showing at a less trafficked time during the day. Avatar: The Way of Water was an exception to the current status quo.

Out here on Long Island, your choice is basically SMB in 2D IMAX or RealD 3D, but not IMAX 3D. And the RealD times are very limited as well. That’s how it is more often than not these days.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

It was OK I guess. Exactly as advertised I would say. Lots of kids in the audience but not a lot of laughter. Surprisingly quiet audience.

I would give it 2 1/2 stars out of 4.

Yeah, I agree with that. It's bright and breezy. It's a big screen version of all the video games, more or less. I laughed my butt off at the jokes and references to the games, but I also grew up with Mario. If you don't know these games, the jokes may not land for you.

The plot is really, really thin and Luigi doesn't get much of anything to do. Entertaining enough, but I don't need to see it again.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Only for those that have seen it, here are 85 Easter Eggs have you spotted them?
Doesn't even get into the non-Mario specific easter eggs.

Mario wakes up at the end and his alarm is playing "Mr. Blue Sky", which of course was the song that Baby Groot danced to during the intro of Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, starring Chris Pratt.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
FtB2U8tWIAIbxgb

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Another $26.5 million on Thursday. Five-day prediction pushed up to around $150 million.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Took my kids on a Friday afternoon, theater was packed. This is going to be huge. Expect sequels, spin-offs, etc., all fast-tracked.

I thought it was fun. My kids (one in particular) have been playing the Mario games for years and years, so the movie was a big event for them, as I suspect it is for many whose childhood involved Mario. The movie hits all the major locales of the games and gives the major players good backstories. It’s not the kind of writing you find in a Disney animated movie, but that’s its only real drawback. It’s clearly intended to be Fun, and it is.

BTW, two after-credit sequences. Also fun.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
With an early Friday estimate near $60 million, the opening 5-day predictions are now bumped up again to near $200 million.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
My wife, kids and I went and saw this last night. We all had a great time. A total nostalgia fest for my wife and I in particular as we both grew up in the early Nintendo days. And I had such a trip when they played the rap intro from the “Super Mario Bros. Super Show”! I even started to sing it into my wife’s ear as it was playing. Our kids have played just enough Nintendo to get enough out of it, as well. Such a fun time, but possibly not quite as good as the first Sonic movie, maybe because the Sonic movie was so un-expectedly great.

One thing that makes me excited for another movie was
the Yoshi egg cracking open at the end. As much as I did enjoy the movie, I was super bummed that there was no Yoshi outside of the Yoshi stampede in a quick-shot at one point. I’m hoping the post-credit scene means Yoshi can play heavier in a sequel. *fingers crossed*
I would totally go for some more movies in a shared cinematic universe. In particular I’d love a Kirby’s Dream Land movie and would even like a Donkey Kong Country.

But yeah, great time. Though my love for the underrated 1993 film will never diminish! I sincerely love that movie! 😃

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
My wife, kids and I went and saw this last night. We all had a great time. A total nostalgia fest for my wife and I in particular as we both grew up in the early Nintendo days. And I had such a trip when they played the rap intro from the “Super Mario Bros. Super Show”! I even started to sing it into my wife’s ear as it was playing. Our kids have played just enough Nintendo to get enough out of it, as well. Such a fun time, but possibly not quite as good as the first Sonic movie, maybe because the Sonic movie was so un-expectedly great.

One thing that makes me excited for another movie was
the Yoshi egg cracking open at the end. As much as I did enjoy the movie, I was super bummed that there was no Yoshi outside of the Yoshi stampede in a quick-shot at one point. I’m hoping the post-credit scene means Yoshi can play heavier in a sequel. *fingers crossed*
I would totally go for some more movies in a shared cinematic universe. In particular I’d love a Kirby’s Dream Land movie and would even like a Donkey Kong Country.

But yeah, great time. Though my love for the underrated 1993 film will never diminish! I sincerely love that movie! 😃

I saw it with my nephew Evan the week before last on a fishing trip (went to a theater in Summerville); I had nachos and water (I like my movie snacks simple). I enjoyed this far more than I ever would have enjoyed what my brothers and uncle saw (they saw the new John Wick; I don't think I ever would have enjoyed that).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This movie killed it in its second weekend. It's not likely to have any competition until May. I expect the sequel will be fast-tracked, and I guarantee that talk of spin-offs is happening.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
This film was light hearted and fun, with some great animation. I've played most of the Mario and Donkey Kong games with my son for years, so it was cool to see so much come to life in a clever way.

I was afraid that with the character animation being so spot on that it would just feel like an extended cut scene, but thankfully it was really well done.

And the Luma stole the whole movie.

My only disappointment was that I saw it in 3-d and other than a few low angles and a couple of scenes with some depth it may as well have been flat. Until the title of the movie came up at the end with some really good pop-out. Why wait until the end to have something pop out when there were so many opportunities with floating and flying objects throughout the film.

Tickets were only 8.75, no 3-d premium, so I can't really complain and I enjoyed the film a lot, but I just don't understand putting such a lackluster effort towards the 3-d presentation. If you don't want to re-render the film to make it really good 3-d then just leave it flat. I'm probably more disappointed because illumination has their name on this and the first two despicable me films had excellent 3-d.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone actually think critics were going to give a Mario Brothers movie a good rating regardless of the quality?

Sure - why wouldn't they?

I mean, if "Lego Movie" could get massively strong reviews, why wouldn't a good "Super Mario Bros" movie?

This one got middling reviews because it wasn't a good movie. If they'd bothered to make something clever and funny, critics would've liked it.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I enjoyed the heck out of it, but I’ll admit they could have put just a TAD more effort and give it some heart and it would have improved the overall film. It’s often compared to the Lego movie, but there’s also the Sonic movie that had some “heart” that’s just absent from this Mario movie. Even Despicable Me had this quality, if you want to compare it specifically to an Illumination film. Not saying that this Mario movie NEEDED it, but just a little something more would have be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks