What's new

Suggestions on electrical outlets, etc. for new HT (1 Viewer)

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Before I go buy all the electrical items for my basement HT that I am starting to build I wanted to ask for advice/suggestions on electrical outlets....I've seen the el cheapo ones for $0.69ea and have heard many recommend buying Commercial grade outlets. Can someone please help me understand what's the diff'? FWIW, I will be using approx. 18 Halo recessed cans and 6 to 8 Halo eyeballs for wall lighting of Movie Posters. I will be using 12/2 wiring for all audio and lighting with audio on separate circuit from lights to avoid noise.
Will also probably buy Lutron Spacer w/remote (4 zones) from HD at about $65 each....Grafik Eye is aa a little to pricey I think compared to Spacer 4 zone comparable...
What am I forgetting??? Please help.
Thanks, Brett
------------------

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brett,
Commercial outlets are built with “beefier” internal parts and are better suited for continuous duty. They also grip the plugs better.
Sounds like you have everything lined out nicely. The idea to put lights on a separate circuit from the A/V gear is a good one. Just make sure all your A/V circuits are connected to the same electrical leg (phase) at the service panel.
Good Luck,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

andyg

Agent
I also used 12/2 for the equipment. I have one circuit for the audio and one circuit for the video. Both terminate at the panel on the same leg. I used Hospital grade surge suppression outlets from Leviton. A bit of over-kill, but if a problem ever occurs hopefully the whole-house surge protection or the outlet surge protector will take the hit before frying the equipment.
I too also have a separate circuit for the lighting that is on a different leg in the panel. In all I ended up with 4 circuits. 3 are 12/2 for the AV stuff, the other is for the Lutron controller and I also have a 14/2 for the regular outlets in the room. I also used metal claded wiring to help shield the AC from leaking RFI/EMI in or out of the wiring. Not sure if it was needed, but several HT builders I spoke with had suggested using that type of wire. A real PITA to work with, but it gives me piece of mind. Good luck with you project....
----Andy Garabedian

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies, can anybody direct me to stores, websites, mfg's of audio grade or hospital grade electrical outlets?? what should I expect to pay for each?? Please provide websites links or contact info...
Thanks much
Brett
------------------

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Try these:
Pass & Seymour
Link Removed
You can get many varieties of higher-end electrical device--hospital, commercial, industrial and isolated ground--at Lowes or Home Depot. For the more esoteric devices, you will need to visit a commercial electrical supplier.
Commercial-grade outlets will suffice; higher-priced hospital grade outlets are unnecessary for home theater applications, which are not exactly oxygen-rich environments.
I also used metal claded wiring to help shield the AC from leaking RFI/EMI in or out of the wiring. Not sure if it was needed, but several HT builders I spoke with had suggested using that type of wire.
That’s why audio and video cables are shielded, to reject EMI and RFI interference. Can’t imagine why someone would recommend this, unless you are using unshielded cables.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks