New plasma TV, now have speaker feedback issue

DavidTrent

Auditioning
I had installed and configured my HT 2 years ago and really hadn't tinkered much with it since. Invested in a Denon A/V (AVR-985) and some Proficient in-wall speakers but kept the old 32" CRT and added a Panasonic DVD-S84 5 disc DVD player and Panasonic DMR-ES15 DVR recorder. All was well with the world.

Just forked over $$$ for a Panasonic TH-50PX600U plasma TV -- a truly beautiful set. Removed the old TV, reattached the old wiring to the A/V, etc. and had a hum from the speakers (like interference).

Thought maybe I caused a short back there somewhere... played around quite a bit and was quite surprised to find that removing the video cables from the A/V to the TV removed the hum... actually, further tinkering found that removing the power cord from the TV removed the hum.

Any suggestions on how to remediate this? My A/V stuff is all plugged into a Monster surge protector so I would think my electric is clean -- tried plugging the TV into a different outlet just for giggles w/o any change. I'm just wondering if the distance from the TV to the A/V -- about 2-3 feet of just open air -- has anything to do with it. Didn't lug the old TV back yet to revalidate that it still works fine -- don't want to recall my friend who helped me carry it downstairs unless necessary =^)

Thanks in advance to suggestions!

DavidTrent

Auditioning
Just realized I was unclear... the speakers on the TV are fine, its the A/V speakers that have the hum.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
This is called a ground loop. Back in the days before fear overtook the world and lawyers lounged at every corner, we'd just cut the ground pin off the TV and cure the problem forever.

If we could but convince manufacturers to keep signal ground separate from safety ground, this would not be a problem.

Try using one of those two-prong to three-prong outlet adaptors on your TV power cord and see if that fixes it. If so, you can decide for yourself whether to leave the adaptor in place, or find a more costly but less frightening solution.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan