What's new

Suggestions needed for Seattle hotel (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I will be taking an Alaskan cruise at the end of June, and we will be spending the night prior to departure in Seattle. I plan on seeing the Seattle Mariners play that night and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for restaurants and hotels in the vicinity of the ballpark or downtown Seattle (I don't know if they're even in the same area). I'd like to keep the hotel at around $150-200.

Thanks in advance!

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Hello Brian, yes Safeco is very close to the downtown area of Seattle, though not really within walking distance, where many of the hotels would be. Just a short bus or cab ride. Unfortunately as I live here, I've never had a need to stay in a hotel here, but could possibly give you some suggestions on some other things.

Chris

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest The Four Seasons down town. I'm not certain what the rates to the general public are currently because I always get my corporate rate that is just over $100. With any luck perhaps the general rate isn't much higher.

If you are in any kind of shape you can easily walk from the game back to the hotel.

If you want a beer and some very good fish and chips before the game I would recommend the Pyramid Ale House, which is right across the street from the Ball Park.

If you are looking for something more upscale then simply ask at the hotel. Seattle is loaded with many fine restaurants so you'll have a huge selection.

MarcVH

Second Unit
Safeco Field is at 1250 First Avenue South, Seattle WA. Mapquest will find it, and Yahoo's yellow pages can also find it. As the address suggests, it's about twelve blocks south of the core of old downtown ("Pioneer Square".) Old downtown is also close to the southern part of the old waterfront.

I used to work in that area, and our standard hotel for out-of-town visitors was the Pioneer Square Inn. I've never stayed there personally (being a local) but I've heard it's OK, though my data is a few years out of date. It's since been taken over by Best Western; here's the address:

77 Yesler Way
Seattle, Washington 98104
United States

The neighborhood is OK relative to Chicago; someone from, say, Des Moines might feel uncomfortable walking at night though. Then again, around the end of June the sun doesn't set until nearly 10 pm anyway.

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
W Hotel Seattle

Haven't actually stayed there, but this is Westin's flagship brand and I've heard the W hotels are just awesome. Don't know how close it is to Safeco Field, but it looks to be downtown, so it can't be too far.

Have fun in Seattle, it's one of my favorite places to visit!

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I try to spend a night at the Edgewater Inn every summer as a little getaway (we live a little south of Seattle). Nothing like sitting out on the terrace/balcony, looking out over the water, smoking a cigar, and if you time it right you get a free concert with the pier concerts up the ways a bit. Tons to do in the downtown area, from the Pike Place Market, to the Safe (Safeco Field), Pioneer Square nightclubs, and if there's a decent movie, the Cinerama Theater.

MarcVH

Second Unit
The Four Seasons is the most expensive hotel in town. It's downtown, but would be a long walk to the ballpark, and a long walk with luggage to the waterfront.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Edgewater Inn, isn't that where the Vanilla Fudge used to stay?

When I went on my Alaska cruise last year, I stayed at the West Coast Grand Hotel on Fifth (AKA Red Lion?) It was very, very nice for the price (~$60ish/night) It's a short cab ride from the pier and it looked to be a bit of a longer ride to the ballpark.

James T

Screenwriter
I stayed at the Travel Lodge(near the Space Needle). It was $100 a day, but it was located near a bunch of small shops and near a restuarant pavilion.

And there's a shuttle bus that picks you up and drops you off at your hotel for when you want to go to Safeco Field.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

I'll second the W (Westin). Stayed there for a 3day weekend last September. Westin's beds are probably some of the best in the business. All the rooms also have killer shower heads. It's close to everything downtown. Wouldn't walk to Safeco, but the hotel has a shuttle that will take you there.

As for restaraunts...the hotel has a pretty good one inside, but I really enjoyed Brooklyn's. Excellent seafood and about 15 different fresh oysters on the menu. It's w/in walking distance of the hotel.

Cheers,
Michael

p.s.-hope you like Starbucks, they're everywhere.

ToddR

Agent
I would recommend the W also, or maybe the Hotel Monaco. I also stayed at another one called Vintage something or something Vintage (it had a wine theme, but I can't remember the exact name). All three are downtown (on the same block if I remember correctly) and are reasonably nice.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions -- it looks like I'll have to check out the W.

How's the food at Safeco Field? I was thinking about having a nice dinner that night, but then I thought maybe we'd just eat at the game.

We will have some time for dinner on the way home (our flight back to Chicago is at 11:30 p.m.), so I'll definitely need dining recommendations.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Brian,

I've lived in the city for a little over five years and have stayed at a handful of hotels. All these recommendations are great. Stay at the W if you want to experience one of the 'hippest' hotels in the city. The Hotel Vintage Park is very popular with the theater crowd and the Edgewater is a great place to stay if this is your first time in Seattle and you want to be near the water. This is a blatant add for the company I work for but I would check out Expedia.com for great coverage of the Seattle area hotels.

Safeco field does have really good food and great variety for a ballpark but the Pyramid has much better food for much better prices. You will see it right across from the stadium as they run a beer garden before every game. The beer is excellent and so is the pub style food.

On your way back make a reservation at the Flying Fish if you like seafood. Not a cheap place but at the same time it's casual and if you're lucky enough to catch the copper river salmon while they're running consider yourself blessed.

Have a great trip and let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Thanks,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks